hopkins versus emory

Is this a no brainer? I'm so torn between my home (emory) and a really great,well known school (Hopkins)

At Hopkins I'd be getting an MSPH in global epidemiology in their international health department

At Emory I'd be getting an MPH in epidemiology. But I also went here for undergrad, so it's all I've ever known

Which would you choose..and why?

Hopkins gives some sort of scholarship the second year if you keep your grades up, right? So it is a better decisions financially. And it is, of course, #1, and I personally think an MSPH is a bit more prestigious than an MPH.

However, if you want to work at CDC, Emory gives great opportunities for that. And you'd have a better quality of life, I've heard that Hopkins is quite miserable.

I'd say definitely Hopkins UNLESS you definitely want to work in Atlanta after graduation and/or you would be saving a significant sum of money by going to Emory.

thanks ya'll! I definitely do not have any strong desire to stay in Atlanta post graduation. with the 75% tuition at Hopkins, the schools would cost about the same. The only money I'd be saving is on housing since I'll be commuting from my family's home about 30 min away..

I have about a year's worth of rent money saved up, so I feel okay moving. Though, it is all of my savings..

hmm, so, I guess baltimore it is!

Emory and Hopkins both have solid reputations for public health and generally. You won't have a problem with "prestige" on the job market having gone to either school. I would base the decision on funding. Considering the average starting salary for a new MPH grad is around $40-50K, depending on your concentration, you should plan to take out loans no more than equal to your expected starting salary. Check out the federal student loan repayment calculator to see what your monthly repayment would be once you've graduated.

Emory and Hopkins both have solid reputations for public health and generally. You won't have a problem with "prestige" on the job market having gone to either school. I would base the decision on funding. Considering the average starting salary for a new MPH grad is around $40-50K, depending on your concentration, you should plan to take out loans no more than equal to your expected starting salary. Check out the federal student loan repayment calculator to see what your monthly repayment would be once you've graduated.

welp, emory would be 53K and Hopkins would be 59k. this is assuming i get no funding from the scholarhsips i'm applying to (I won't hold y breath tho). 

this has all made me so worried all of a sudden...

welp, emory would be 53K and Hopkins would be 59k. this is assuming i get no funding from the scholarhsips i'm applying to (I won't hold y breath tho). 

this has all made me so worried all of a sudden...

Take it both very seriously and with a grain of salt.

On the one hand, you want to be fiscally responsible as much as possible. On the other hand, what is the real impact? It's not like you're going to be living in complete desolation if you take out the loans. You're just going to be working and paying on them. And, if you're going to go for the MPH anyway, the $6k difference isn't really anything. But, if you go in somewhere else where they gave you some funding, you might want to factor that into the equation.