POI didn't reply me after unoffical offer

Babara Keller

Hi Everyone,

I am really panic now! I emailed my POI last weekand my POI replied me said I will be receiving an offer wecould talk abou the offer. I was exicted and emailed right after to tell POI how happy I am and I am looking forward to working with her. However, it has been a week, she didn't reply me and I didn't receive the official offer! I am very worried that there might be something wrong that I won't receive the offer...

Anybody had similar experiences? Any comments will be appreciated.

I wouldn't worry at all - at least not yet. Profs are very busy.

I received my unofficial offer in January, got no responses from my own POI when I emailed her like you did above, and I didn't get my official offer until March! That was almost two months!

If you're really freaking out, you can email the graduate program assistant (although they are very busy too!) and ask when you can expect to receive an official offer. He or she should be able to give you a reasonable timeline or range of dates to expect to hear something.

Same thing's happened with my POI. However, I'm not too worried about it because I know that he's busy this time of year. Maybe the same is true for your POI.

I wouldn't fret too much (easier said than done, I know..)

As for not receiving the official offer, my POI instructed the department not to send the official offer until we've had a chance to talk about it. I don't know if it is the same with your situation, but it's something to consider.

Hi Everyone,

I am really panic now! I emailed my POI last weekand my POI replied me said I will be receiving an offer wecould talk abou the offer. I was exicted and emailed right after to tell POI how happy I am and I am looking forward to working with her. However, it has been a week, she didn't reply me and I didn't receive the official offer! I am very worried that there might be something wrong that I won't receive the offer...

I wouldn't stress about it. I was in a similar situation where my POI late at night told me I was accepted/would be receiving an offer and I didn't get an official offer for a little while. I think administration is just super busy and it takes time to send these things out. :)

Hi there,

First of all thanks for those who kindly share their experiences on here. At the moment, I am also facing similar situation with the poster. I was notified by my POI nearly a month ago about my admission. However, I am still waiting to hear back about my official letter. The situation is driving me insane, but deep down I think, perhaps what's taking them longer is to decide fellowship provision, matching me and other applicants to the most fitting adviser. That's what's keeping me from getting on the verge of insanity hahha... Anyway, all the best for all of you! 

Hi there,

First of all thanks for those who kindly share their experiences on here. At the moment, I am also facing similar situation with the poster. I was notified by my POI nearly a month ago about my admission. However, I am still waiting to hear back about my official letter. The situation is driving me insane, but deep down I think, perhaps what's taking them longer is to decide fellowship provision, matching me and other applicants to the most fitting adviser. That's what's keeping me from getting on the verge of insanity hahha... Anyway, all the best for all of you! 

Did you apply to schools in North America? If so, I think your offer was probably mailed out, it just takes longer to go overboard if the school used regular post. It took about two months for my friend (from China) to receive the official admission letter from Canada. However, another school (UT) used UPS, so it only took about 5 days.. 

Hi there,

This post sums me up perfectly.

Got the recommendation for admission email on the 6th, sent an email to that effect to my POI which he replied "Congratulations, goodluck".

Now its been two weeks and still no official letter from the department (or graduate school)...Not that I am worried since I know it will come in latest on Monday according to the Graduate school secretary who I have a rapport with.

First post here; in a similar situation as described by most in this thread.

Received an unofficial email from my POI (the head of dept., with whom I had prolonged, mostly positive correspondence prior to making the application) saying that my application is one they are feeling very positive about, checking if I am "still interested" and also saying that they were awaiting a fee-related clarification from Grad Studies. After replying in the affirmative, I got no response and heard nothing since (21 days now). 

Given that I am an int. student I guess there could be something in the mail that I have not yet received (23 days seems a long time though, right? I'm an EU student applying to a Canadian University, so I guess that may explain it). 

I was considering mailing the POI again; do folk think this is a good idea or should I hold out? It's my "last chance", as it were, as I have been rejected from both other schools I've applied to. 

You guys will be fine.

Again, it took one of my offers two months after the unofficial acceptance.

Another one took about 5-6 weeks.

The third one took about 4-5 weeks.

Agony, I know, but just have faith. You'll be OK.

Edited by jujubea

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps I am going to be lynched for this reply, but for the past few days every time I sign into this site, this post is staring me in the face and really bothers me. So I finally decided to say what no one in Canada dares say because we are too politically correct.

Dear "Babara Keller", we all waited for the replies, we all know it is a dreaded game and I sympathize with your pain wholeheartedly. However, I do think as a graduate student you do need a better command of the English language, the language you are going to do your grad studies in, which typically requires much writing. This is so you don't use phrases like "the POI didn't reply me" or "I have to be patience". English is my 2nd language too. I only started learning when I started university, so I do understand the pain of learning a new language. I waited and waited for someone to point to these obvious grammatical errors, but as always everyone is just tries to pretend like we don't misuse the language. As graduate students, our primary occupation is to research and to WRITE, to pay attention to detail, weather in our research or in the way we present that research (usually in the form of writing). So perhaps, if I may suggest, you should brush up on your language skills or at lest pay attention to how others write and that would help you correct your mistakes. It is a shame for an obviously talented grad student not to be able to write the simplest of sentences. I too still struggle with my writing and also speaking at times, and I do wish someone would correct me once in a while. What I am trying to say is, I am not trying to put you down or pretend like I have no flaws, but just to be a gentle reminder that a second language is usually a lifelong quest always in need of brushing up.

Good luck!

Perhaps I am going to be lynched for this reply, but for the past few days every time I sign into this site, this post is staring me in the face and really bothers me. So I finally decided to say what no one in Canada dares say because we are too politically correct.

Dear "Babara Keller", we all waited for the replies, we all know it is a dreaded game and I sympathize with your pain wholeheartedly. However, I do think as a graduate student you do need a better command of the English language, the language you are going to do your grad studies in, which typically requires much writing. This is so you don't use phrases like "the POI didn't reply me" or "I have to be patience". English is my 2nd language too. I only started learning when I started university, so I do understand the pain of learning a new language. I waited and waited for someone to point to these obvious grammatical errors, but as always everyone is just tries to pretend like we don't misuse the language. As graduate students, our primary occupation is to research and to WRITE, to pay attention to detail, weather in our research or in the way we present that research (usually in the form of writing). So perhaps, if I may suggest, you should brush up on your language skills or at lest pay attention to how others write and that would help you correct your mistakes. It is a shame for an obviously talented grad student not to be able to write the simplest of sentences. I too still struggle with my writing and also speaking at times, and I do wish someone would correct me once in a while. What I am trying to say is, I am not trying to put you down or pretend like I have no flaws, but just to be a gentle reminder that a second language is usually a lifelong quest always in need of brushing up.

Good luck!

Edited by Babara Keller