Wanting to be a high school English teacher before PhD?

I definitely am going to teach for a bit before heading back to academia. I already have my MA in Humanities, but I've often heard that it's worthless unless I get an MA in my field, which is literature. That's why I wanted to know if I need a second MA. 

Everything else aside, I'm just not sure that's true. I can't imagine that many literature PhD programs would discard an application simply because the applicant has an MA in Humanities. After all, literature programs accept applicants from history, religion, or the arts all the time, to pick some examples. If you write a strong statement of purpose and a writing sample that indicates the depth of your knowledge in literature, you should be fine. 

If you just think that your current resume is inadequate to get into good programs, that's a common feeling around here. I would suggest, if you're bent on a PhD, adjuncting for a  year, doing some new research, sending papers out to online journals and conferences, and working on finding that third recommender. 

Second off, I want to again state how problematic it is to imply that someone is unfit for the academy because of anxiety. Academia is not kind to people with mental disabilities such as anxiety, depression, and autism, but the solution shouldn't be to keep those people out. The solution should be to challenge ableist rhetoric and culture.

I agree with this. Wholeheartedly. The one caveat I would add, however, is that it requires a level of openness about one's own strengths and limitations, and an acknowledgment that it is an even tougher battle than it is for those who have no diagnosed mental disabilities. The academic gates are not closed, but the measures required to get through them are invariably going to be more difficult -- not insurmountably so, but it does have to be acknowledged.

As it pertains to this situation, it's hard to say. I don't know Youngcharlie at all, or her situation beyond what she has expressed via several threads here. I'm more concerned over her "hatred" for NYU and how she "despises" professors there and "hates" her roommates and the "pretentious" city. They may just be words on an Internet forum, with no serious weight, but if they are reflective of true opinions, then it is hard to wholeheartedly endorse her pursuit of another M.A. and eventually a Ph.D.

I suppose that is the danger of an Internet forum though. Posting styles etc. can vary quite a bit, and it's possible that Youngcharlie is just letting off steam. I'm not sure her rampant downvoting over seemingly well-intended advice is doing her any favors though... :unsure:

Everything else aside, I'm just not sure that's true. I can't imagine that many literature PhD programs would discard an application simply because the applicant has an MA in Humanities. After all, literature programs accept applicants from history, religion, or the arts all the time, to pick some examples. If you write a strong statement of purpose and a writing sample that indicates the depth of your knowledge in literature, you should be fine. 

If you just think that your current resume is inadequate to get into good programs, that's a common feeling around here. I would suggest, if you're bent on a PhD, adjuncting for a  year, doing some new research, sending papers out to online journals and conferences, and working on finding that third recommender. 

Thanks, mate. Bloody hell, I couldn't imagine going into another MA program now. I'm broke as bullocks and I simply cannot afford it! I did learn a lot from my MA in Humanities, but my professors never seemed to care or have time for me. The environment itself was very discomforting. I should have visited the school before I accepted, but I permanently live in the UK. 

Having an MA in humanities isn't an obstacle to being accepted to a lit Ph.D. program.  My MA was in the humanities at another cash cow rep program (UChicago. . .though with a partial tuition scholarship).  There is a guy here in my program who did the humanities MA at NYU.  Basically, an MA in humanities isn't going to keep you out of a Ph.D. program.  It sounds like you have some pretty terrible relationships with profs from your MA program, though, so that may be an obstacle in terms of getting strong LORs.  However, rather than doing another MA, you might instead audit graduate courses at a university in your area to develop new writing samples, LOR contacts, and refined research interests.  

Having an MA in humanities isn't an obstacle to being accepted to a lit Ph.D. program.  My MA was in the humanities at another cash cow rep program (UChicago. . .though with a partial tuition scholarship).  There is a guy here in my program who did the humanities MA at NYU.  Basically, an MA in humanities isn't going to keep you out of a Ph.D. program.  It sounds like you have some pretty terrible relationships with profs from your MA program, though, so that may be an obstacle in terms of getting strong LORs.  However, rather than doing another MA, you might instead audit graduate courses at a university in your area to develop new writing samples, LOR contacts, and refined research interests.  

Agreed. Thanks, friend. It'll be a lot cheaper too than if I were to get a second MA. I'm so tired right now and sick that my doctor has told me I need to take it easy, otherwise I will end up in the hospital again. 

I'm taking some summer courses for my teaching certificate, and I think I may audit some courses here and there to establish new relationships with professors, but first, I am going back home to London for a much-needed 2-month siesta. :)

Youngcharile,

There was someone who came into chat all the time, with pretty much the same story as you, with the exception that she got into graduate school (though, unfortunately we suspect that is a lie for many reasons). Why I bring this up, is that this person seemed ultimately miserable because no one in chat told her what she wanted to hear.

I don't think you are necessarily reacted this way, but I encourage you to be at least thoughtful of what people have to say.

And anxiety can be overcome, I have personally seen people be successful in academia with much harder disabilities. There is field geologist in my department who has been blind since 3, and he won a MacAurther award.  I'm not sure anything is impossible at this point, because that is something that I would have thought would be if I never saw it. 

Sorry you had such a rough experience, and I hope your rest back home brings you some solace. Make sure that you really want to be a teacher, though. There are lots of jobs involving books, literature, writing, etc. I think that often students who love literature think they have to be a professor or an English teacher to indulge in literature, and that's not true.  Also, I teach high school and love it, but it is not a relaxing environment by any stretch of the imagination. While psychological difficulties shouldn't prevent people from following their dreams, I don't think it's unreasonable to warn someone with acrophobia that becoming a tightrope walker might exacerbate some of their problems.

It's okay, everybody. I have given up academia. I'm not going for my PhD or second MA. You've all inspired me to let it go. I'll be better off finding a job with what I've already got.

And I promise to take some acid or get some medical attention so I won't have to be mentally impaired anymore. Sometimes I wish it were blindness instead of anxiety. But hey, what are you going to do?

Thanks so much for all your feedback! :) I'm off to London for a long siesta, then I'll be back to teach. Appreciate all the solid advice from this website.

Sorry you had such a rough experience, and I hope your rest back home brings you some solace. Make sure that you really want to be a teacher, though. There are lots of jobs involving books, literature, writing, etc. I think that often students who love literature think they have to be a professor or an English teacher to indulge in literature, and that's not true.  Also, I teach high school and love it, but it is not a relaxing environment by any stretch of the imagination. While psychological difficulties shouldn't prevent people from following their dreams, I don't think it's unreasonable to warn someone with acrophobia that becoming a tightrope walker might exacerbate some of their problems.

You're a blessing, and I sincerely want to thank you for your words.

People seem very eager to point out that academia is an especially difficult career path, as well as the difficulties of getting a (good) job. First of all, working in an office or as a social worker will most likely be more stressful and less rewarding than writing a dissertation. Secondly, what do you think, say, an architect does after his/her first 5 years? S/he either quits to do something else or starts climbing the ladder just like us.  In fact, in comparison to people who are successful in "the real world," graduate students only rarely strike me as exceptionally talented or dedicated. An academic career of some sort is probably one of few in which the personal problems described by “youngcharlie” would not be a major obstacle. Furthermore, that se “hates” the NYU program and some professors there, tells us nothing about her potential as an academic. Being a suck up might get you to some point but in the end it’s really about knowing your stuff. It’s difficult, we get it, but so is everything. So please stop scaring this person and others who may be reading away from wanting to do a PhD.

That said, I don’t think your plan is great if you really want to do a PhD. Instead: Try finding a good academic fit and schools/programs you have a realistic chance of getting in to. Forget the GRE. Have people read your stuff – if its good and you apply to not-so-extremely-competitive programs you will get in somewhere.

People seem very eager to point out that academia is an especially difficult career path, as well as the difficulties of getting a (good) job. First of all, working in an office or as a social worker will most likely be more stressful and less rewarding than writing a dissertation. Secondly, what do you think, say, an architect does after his/her first 5 years? S/he either quits to do something else or starts climbing the ladder just like us.  In fact, in comparison to people who are successful in "the real world," graduate students only rarely strike me as exceptionally talented or dedicated. An academic career of some sort is probably one of few in which the personal problems described by “youngcharlie” would not be a major obstacle. Furthermore, that se “hates” the NYU program and some professors there, tells us nothing about her potential as an academic. Being a suck up might get you to some point but in the end it’s really about knowing your stuff. It’s difficult, we get it, but so is everything. So please stop scaring this person and others who may be reading away from wanting to do a PhD.

Well, that's pretty strawmanish. I don't think that anyone here is trying to scare this person away from PhD programs or from being an academic. But when someone gets on here obviously very angry and very emotional because of a previous program--regardless of whether those feelings are justified--they're going to get questioned about why they want to do this incredibly difficult thing, especially when this thing is completely optional. No one has to be an academic. If you don't enjoy it, then don't do it. Because there are few tangible rewards involved. There is very little money and even fewer jobs.

Moreover, as someone who worked "real jobs" before committing myself to a PhD, I have to say that the PhD has been both more difficult and more rewarding. It's a trade-off, I suppose. My work in developing a non-profit--a "social work" position, and an "office job," as you call it--was actually far easier than writing a dissertation, writing academic articles, and presenting at several high-pressure conferences. And living on less than 20k a year. I wouldn't recommend that someone do that willingly if they haven't enjoyed their grad school experience so far.

But YMMV. I certainly haven't held every job in the world.

I'm sorry, but getting an office job, whatever that means, is not generically as hard as getting a job as a professor. I know people hate it when I bring up the job market, but I constantly feel forced to because people say things like "It's OK, I don't need to get a TT job at an R1 university." That's not the question. The question is whether you can get a job with a long term  contract at all. I agree with you that grad school is not the hardest thing in the world, but the point is that for the vast majority of people there is never a ladder to climb. I believe the MLA jobs list had 8 initial TT listings for medievalists this year. There are many programs out there that will graduate 3-4 medievalists by themselves. 

Besides, we're not saying grad school is hard so you should give up. We're pointing out that the things she says does not indicate that she doesn't like academic culture at all, and that getting three masters degrees does not seem like a sensible plan.

That said, I don’t think your plan is great if you really want to do a PhD. Instead: Try finding a good academic fit and schools/programs you have a realistic chance of getting in to. Forget the GRE. Have people read your stuff – if its good and you apply to not-so-extremely-competitive programs you will get in somewhere.

Can you explain how encouraging youngcharlie to focus on her mental and physical health prior to and in order to effectively tackle an academic career  a) suggests that she is unfit to be an academic and b.) scares her away from academia? Let me remind you that she has constantly mentioned that she has panic attacks and had previously blacked out during the GRE, has been hospitalized from anxiety, etc. 

I understand it's unpleasant to receive advice that one wasn't hoping for or anticipating but responding sarcastically, downvoting, and only acknowledging posts that fluff one's ego shows that that person isn't ready for academia, a place where uncomfortable, unwanted, and harsh but constructive advice is the norm.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out that OP may need time away from academia or additional support and resources to cope with anxiety or personal trauma. In fact, that's far more responsible and compassionate than just vomiting bland platitudes onto someone when they need to make a crucial, life-altering decision such as this.

Edit: and to respond to ProfLorax's point, I am in no way suggesting that people with anxiety, mental issues, etc. are unfit for academia. I am stating that the current state of academia will only exacerbate underlying issues if they are not dealt with. Do I think the system should be more welcoming, positive, friendly, open to people with mental issues? Of course. But suggesting that a person with such issues should just throw themselves into academia "because the system should be different" is naive and irresponsible.

Edited by 1Q84

Edit: and to respond to ProfLorax's point, I am in no way suggesting that people with anxiety, mental issues, etc. are unfit for academia.

I didn't think you were. Your post, which I didn't see until I submitted mine, is what inspired my second clarifying post. ETA: I actually agree with pretty much all you've said, IQ.

To be honest, IQ, I was seeking advice from every angle. I actually don't have the answer, which is why I'm here. Asking for advice. On the forums. :)

That you would think I'm seeking positive vibes and pats on the back is quite immature. No offense, but I graduated from NYU, and if anything, it taught me that academia is a bitch. So forgive me if I'm not smiling the entire way through. It doesn't mean I'm not cut out for it.

And your response was a bit rude, if you ask me, hence the down vote. You don't tell someone that they don't know "what [they] want." I know exactly what I want in life, and for you to even think that about me, a student whom you don't even know, is quite unprofessional and sad. 

Just my two cents. :)

Hi youngcharlie,

Just chiming in to say that I'm currently teaching high school as I get ready to start a Ph.D. in the fall and you can PM me if you have questions about it, though I'm sure requirements and such are much different here than in New York.  I'll also say that it's probably the most stressful job I've ever had -- underpaid and overworked, though I am kind working as the high school equivalent of an adjunct filling in for teachers on maternity leave on an emergency license.  My experience will be different than some though; I work in a relatively underprivileged area with low teacher retention rates and high unemployment that lacks a lot of both the resources and downsides of a big city like New York.  Still, I'd be happy to share my experiences with regard to what it's like to teach high school English.

Best of luck figuring out what works best for you.  Fwiw, I'm under the impression that different programs have differing levels of competitive atmospheres, often due to differences in funding packages among students and general attitudes.  The program I'm enrolling in, though I haven't officially started yet, seems to be extremely cooperative and the people I'll be working with are already including me on planning projects and activities.  I barely know these people, but I already feel like I'm becoming part of a family of sorts.  Perhaps things will change once I start, but I really don't think every place will be the same and I don't doubt that you perhaps will be able to find a place that works for you.  Both teaching high school and working in academia are immensely stressful endeavors, but if you're doing something you're passionate about it's worth it in my view.  I tend to get more stressed out about things I love -- don't we all?  It's hard to be overly stressed about something you don't give a shit about, and for me under-stimulation can be just as dangerous as over-stimulation when it comes to workloads.

Sometimes I wish it were blindness instead of anxiety.

You're very... compassionate, I guess?

I can't imagine a scenario in which getting three masters degrees is a good idea.

You're absolutely right, especially if these masters are self-funded.

About being "fit" for academia:

Of course, anxiety and depression do not make someone unfit for academia. I went through grad school and the job market with these conditions. I've seen many colleagues deal with depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, etc. Some did well, others did not.

What anxiety and depression can do, though, is to impair someone's ability to self-assess. What lack of self-confidence can do is to make someone want something that's not good for them (eg. I don't think I'm smart --> getting into Harvard means someone's smart --> I need to get into Harvard to prove myself I'm smart). But not everyone can get into Harvard (and not everyone who gets into Harvard is smart, and most smart people never go to Harvard). Not everyone can get a job at an R1. And that doesn't make you a bad scholar or a bad person. Getting into a lower ranked school doesn't mean you'll be unhappy there, and forever afterwards.

In an earlier post, I suggested to you, youngcharlie01 that perhaps you had aimed too high and that you should try to apply to a wider range of schools. That perhaps you should work more on your SOP and WS. You obviously didn't like the suggestion, as you downvoted the post. But if you want to do a PhD down the road, I still think you should try to self-assess: what are the strengths and weaknesses of your applications; what can you do to make your apps better without endangering your well-being. It requires honesty, but it is a very rewarding path.

Edited by chateaulafitte

What I object to is an attitude common among academics that they suffer a particularly cruel fate, that what they are are doing is some form of monastic penance: hard work that isn’t rewarded. Don’t you recognize this thought from somewhere else? But there’s no question it’s a difficult way to go, and the only healthy way to go about it is probably to adjust ones expectations to reality.

Another concern with the responses in this thread was that there seemed to be a consensus that having a bad academic experience amounted to not being fit for trying it again. Of course I don’t know the reasons for these individual responses, but I can imagine that doing an unfunded MA in New York is a significantly different experience from being at a picturesque campus in a college town, or just somewhere where people remember your name. I also strongly disagree with the general assumption that one is “unfit” if one disagrees with institutional practices, reacts against professors in positions of power and simply says that one is dissatisfied. Maybe her critique hasn’t been very substantial, but it’s still peculiar that only the student and not the institution has been questioned and criticized in this thread.

Other than that, it is probably correct that “youngcharlie” would be happier doing something less stressful for a while. Maybe teaching for a while could be good. 

Edited by Idiot

I also strongly disagree with the general assumption that one is “unfit” if one disagrees with institutional practices, reacts against professors in positions of power and simply says that one is dissatisfied. Maybe her critique hasn’t been very substantial, but it’s still peculiar that only the student and not the institution has been questioned and criticized in this thread.

Other than that, it is probably correct that “youngcharlie” would be happier doing something less stressful for a while. Maybe teaching for a while could be good. 

I agree with this assessment -- a student's critique of a program can seem unsubstantial and emotional, but that can be the result of a program that really hasn't worked for that student to the point where it causes a very emotional response.  I do think that places will vary wildly in their ability to nurture certain kinds of people -- this applies to the job market too.  I can think of at least one practicing scholar I've worked with who is a fantastic scholar, went to schools they loved, is well-connected, but left academia proper because of a job they had in a department that drove them crazy.  I had professors at my UG school who became super dissatisfied with academia because of where they were previously (and who still teach, and love it, and are brilliant at it, but still have a negative attitude about the east coast in general).  Every school has a different personality.

While I don't think teaching high school is less stressful, it is something just as "worthy" as far as professions go and can certainly put a lot of things in perspective.  I would caution against thinking of it as a less stressful alternative though.  Teaching (in general) is something that I've heard people describe as "addictive" and it's the kind of thing I've heard many people say they can't imagine not doing.  It's unfortunate that more Ph.D. programs don't value a passion for teaching in their candidates (as someone mentioned earlier), but perhaps this is part of this general feeling of always looking up the ladder and prizing this hazy ideal of being a purely research oriented scholar who spends all their time writing brilliant books and teaches when they feel like it.  I do think, though, that people who teach college tend to be less jaded about teaching.  For obvious reasons.  Though I will add that with a Master's, one might be able to teach at a private school that values a graduate education over an actual teaching license, which I imagine is much less stressful than teaching public school (which is what I do).

Maybe this is just my bad googling, but the MAT is a degree unique to the US, right? yc's home country is the UK, from what I can gather, so I think there's also extra things with respect to visas and employment that they have to consider if they are considering becoming certified to teach in the US. 

But, also, YC, I don't know what you put in your statement of purpose, and I don't mean to be overly critical when I say this, but the things you said about the novel in that earlier number post would probably not endear you to an admissions committee. Wanting the novel to be important is laudatory, but such a commitment (or at least such a belief in its usefulness to a good life) is presumed if you are applying to a PhD in literature in the first place. 

Edited by echo449

Maybe this is just my bad googling, but the MAT is a degree unique to the US, right? yc's home country is the UK, from what I can gather, so I think there's also extra things with respect to visas and employment that they have to consider if they are considering becoming certified to teach in the US. 

But, also, YC, I don't know what you put in your statement of purpose, and I don't mean to be overly critical when I say this, but the things you said about the novel in that earlier number post would probably not endear you to an admissions committee. Wanting the novel to be important is laudatory, but such a commitment (or at least such a belief in its usefulness to a good life) is presumed if you are applying to a PhD in literature in the first place. 

Sigh....

Edited by youngcharlie101

What I object to is an attitude common among academics that they suffer a particularly cruel fate, that what they are are doing is some form of monastic penance: hard work that isn’t rewarded. Don’t you recognize this thought from somewhere else? But there’s no question it’s a difficult way to go, and the only healthy way to go about it is probably to adjust ones expectations to reality.

Another concern with the responses in this thread was that there seemed to be a consensus that having a bad academic experience amounted to not being fit for trying it again. Of course I don’t know the reasons for these individual responses, but I can imagine that doing an unfunded MA in New York is a significantly different experience from being at a picturesque campus in a college town, or just somewhere where people remember your name. I also strongly disagree with the general assumption that one is “unfit” if one disagrees with institutional practices, reacts against professors in positions of power and simply says that one is dissatisfied. Maybe her critique hasn’t been very substantial, but it’s still peculiar that only the student and not the institution has been questioned and criticized in this thread.

In order to avoid constructing even more strawman arguments, it might help for you to actually quote whose posts you're talking about here because other than one or two people in this thread, everyone else has been extremely supportive by either empathizing or offering thoughtful and relevant advice.

While I don't think teaching high school is less stressful, it is something just as "worthy" as far as professions go and can certainly put a lot of things in perspective.  I would caution against thinking of it as a less stressful alternative though. 

I said this to youngcharlie in a previous thread that she created as well as on one of her status updates announcing she had given up graduate school and planned on being a high school teacher, with the explicit caveat that increased mental and physical resiliency would be almost as necessary, if not more so, in order to be an effective high school teacher. I was summarily ignored/downvoted. 

Real advice is not commonly that easy to accept because they require a lot of self-assessment and work. I'm not sure if there's an actual point to offering sensible advice anymore in this thread because it's falling on deaf ears.

Edited by 1Q84

Real advice is not commonly that easy to accept because they require a lot of self-assessment and work. I'm not sure if there's an actual point to offering sensible advice anymore in this thread because it's falling on deaf ears.

Evidence of acceptance, or recognition of advice is almost impossible to see online. Also, real advice, for a life changing event, doesn't often get actualized immediately by anyone. What do you expect to happen, have her say "You are all right, let me completely uphend my life because of strangers". How is that any evidence of said self-assement work?

The storage of advice in this thread (good and bad) is reason enough to have this thread, and maybe if there is good advice in this thread (which there is much less than most here might think, in my opinion), it's here. 

I think the best advice in this thread is Do not get 3 masters degrees if you have to pay for any of them(I wouldn't pay for any graduate degree, but I digress). If you want a PhD, and got good grades in your masters programs, you need to figure out what else is weak in your application (like maybe GRE) and the best places to apply that you can get in.  If you need some time before you start this process, teaching might be a good thing, but if you already have an advanced degree, you should not need to get another to be a high school teacher. All you need to do is get a credential, or in even some states, pass a test. Also, if you have TA experience, you can probably get a job at a private school.

Things you should be working on, if you want to teach, is developing a teaching philosophy. That is something you can do right away. Teaching is something difficult, which is why I think you want to get another masters degree. You realize that there are good ways and bad ways of teaching, but what you may not realize is that you have been in many classes. Its time to think about what those classes did, what you liked about them, what you didn't and start developing your own teaching method. If you can do that, and do it well, not only will it help you get a teaching job, but it will probably help you think about your graduate applications better.

Invalid or not, my guess is that the GRE is not your biggest problem, but the abrasive (and insecure) nature of your writing that many here in this thread have a problem with. This is why I think people think you are rejecting their advice (which you aren't). 

What is abundantly clear is that people have got caught up in their own stuff, and we all need to do some self reflection. 

Evidence of acceptance, or recognition of advice is almost impossible to see online. Also, real advice, for a life changing event, doesn't often get actualized immediately by anyone. What do you expect to happen, have her say "You are all right, let me completely uphend my life because of strangers". How is that any evidence of said self-assement work?

The storage of advice in this thread (good and bad) is reason enough to have this thread, and maybe if there is good advice in this thread (which there is much less than most here might think, in my opinion), it's here. 

I think the best advice in this thread is Do not get 3 masters degrees if you have to pay for any of them(I wouldn't pay for any graduate degree, but I digress). If you want a PhD, and got good grades in your masters programs, you need to figure out what else is weak in your application (like maybe GRE) and the best places to apply that you can get in.  If you need some time before you start this process, teaching might be a good thing, but if you already have an advanced degree, you should not need to get another to be a high school teacher. All you need to do is get a credential, or in even some states, pass a test. Also, if you have TA experience, you can probably get a job at a private school.

Things you should be working on, if you want to teach, is developing a teaching philosophy. That is something you can do right away. Teaching is something difficult, which is why I think you want to get another masters degree. You realize that there are good ways and bad ways of teaching, but what you may not realize is that you have been in many classes. Its time to think about what those classes did, what you liked about them, what you didn't and start developing your own teaching method. If you can do that, and do it well, not only will it help you get a teaching job, but it will probably help you think about your graduate applications better.

Invalid or not, my guess is that the GRE is not your biggest problem, but the abrasive (and insecure) nature of your writing that many here in this thread have a problem with. This is why I think people think you are rejecting their advice (which you aren't). 

What is abundantly clear is that people have got caught up in their own stuff, and we all need to do some self reflection. 

Thanks, mate. Will think about it for a bit.

Edited by youngcharlie101