Accepted into MICA MFA

TMB8272

How's funding looking for folks? I got a half-tuition fellowship, which is pretty strong...but still leaves me with half tuition to pay with money that doesn't exist.... Curious if anyone was able to negotiate a higher funding package.

I only have a third.  I'm waiting to see what my FAFSA looks like, but at this point its not looking too good.  Half is the best I've heard anyone get so far though!   I was gonna try and get some more money out of them but not until after the financial aid online info session...I wanna see what my options are.

Hi TMB8272

What did you hear about Rinehart? I know its a small program, other than that not much...

I know that they just finished renovating their grad studios.  The studios themselves are 12' x 15' (or something along those lines).  The studios open into private wood and metal shop.  That fact, plus the small amount of students drew me to the program. 

What about you?  Have you heard anything interesting?

I know that they just finished renovating their grad studios.  The studios themselves are 12' x 15' (or something along those lines).  The studios open into private wood and metal shop.  That fact, plus the small amount of students drew me to the program. 

What about you?  Have you heard anything interesting?

I heard that Maren is really nice, and in general it seems really professional - the works of the students etc.. there is also a common work space that is bigger than the individual studios.

Do you know how many ppl applied? just curious.. I still find it hard to believe I got in... 

Edited by Lila Adams

I heard that Maren is really nice, and in general it seems really professional - the works of the students etc.. there is also a common work space that is bigger than the individual studios.

Do you know how many ppl applied? just curious.. I still find it hard to believe I got in... 

I don't know how many people applied, is it still only 10 admitted though?  I know, I feel the same way, I got rejected from almost everywhere else.  If you don't mind me asking, what kind of funding did you get?

I've been accepted to Mount Royal and have been offered only 1/3 in spite of how much I was told program director Luca Buvoli loved my work. ;F

Edited by Marchy

I have a feeling that even if they really like the work, there really isn't that much money they have to offer anyone.  The thing that gets me though is there TA positions are only $800 a semester! That seems a little ridiculous.

I don't know how many people applied, is it still only 10 admitted though?  I know, I feel the same way, I got rejected from almost everywhere else.  If you don't mind me asking, what kind of funding did you get?

I got into Rinehart and Mount Royal, I was offered 1/3 tuition to Mount Royal and 1/2 to Rinehart. neither is enough for me. I am an international student so I don't have the option of Federal loans... Mount Royal isn't even an option. I am trying to get more scholarships from other sources, hopefully something will work out..

Yeah, it unfortunately has nothing to do with how much they like (or don't!) your work... I too was admitted to Mt. Royal with 1/3 of tuition, and during my interview he said "well, I'm not supposed to tell you this but from the bottom of my heart I just have to let you know our funding is embarrassing, it's truly the one flaw of the program currently".

The 800/mo for TAing is truly shocking though, Baltimore is cheap (easily find rent in the 3-400 range) but still, that's unlivable.

Yeah, it unfortunately has nothing to do with how much they like (or don't!) your work... I too was admitted to Mt. Royal with 1/3 of tuition, and during my interview he said "well, I'm not supposed to tell you this but from the bottom of my heart I just have to let you know our funding is embarrassing, it's truly the one flaw of the program currently".

The 800/mo for TAing is truly shocking though, Baltimore is cheap (easily find rent in the 3-400 range) but still, that's unlivable.

it's not 800 a month, it's 800 for the whole semester...

I was told during my interview (for painting) that 250 people applied- just to painting, 30 were interviewed, and I think 10 are admitted. 

Edited by KSuverkrubbe

it's not 800 a month, it's 800 for the whole semester...

Oh, because it's work study allotment at probably 8-10$/hr for 10-20/hr week. That's ridiculous! This isn't undergrad.

Wait, I'm confused, is it $800 a month or $800 a semester?

What would you do if you have a not very good school but in New York and that offers better scholarship (but not a full one), and MICA - more expensive - to choose from? I have to make a decision in two days.. aaahhh

What would you do if you have a not very good school but in New York and that offers better scholarship (but not a full one), and MICA - more expensive - to choose from? I have to make a decision in two days.. aaahhh

I don't know, that's a tough one. I know that I'd want the best education possible, whatever that means to you. Personally, form the start of this whole process I told myself that I would not turn down a school that I loved because of money, nor would I go to a school I didn't fully love because it was free. But that's me.

I don't know, that's a tough one. I know that I'd want the best education possible, whatever that means to you. Personally, form the start of this whole process I told myself that I would not turn down a school that I loved because of money, nor would I go to a school I didn't fully love because it was free. But that's me.

I told myself the same thing, but now that the actual number (aka how much debt I'd be going into) is right in front of my face, it's so hard to pull the trigger!  I keep reminding myself that this is why I compromised and went to a fully funded school for undergrad, so that I could go anywhere I wanted for grad school.  But it's easier said than done.

Ye

I told myself the same thing, but now that the actual number (aka how much debt I'd be going into) is right in front of my face, it's so hard to pull the trigger!  I keep reminding myself that this is why I compromised and went to a fully funded school for undergrad, so that I could go anywhere I wanted for grad school.  But it's easier said than done.

yeah, I know what you mean. At this point it seems like dept is my only option. I'm trying to figure ways of being proactive about it, like looking to things that I would want to do when I get out of school, like working in public institutions ,after 10 years they forgive it.

Also I just talked to an alumni form MICA about loans and dept and he was super helpful.  He gave me info on income-driven payment plans as well as Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.  I suggest getting into contact with alumni who are going through the whole out of school payment thing, they can really put it into prospective.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-driven

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

Hey guys,

I just got an e-mail from Chris that they approved my request for additional funding, not as much as I asked but a significant amount! It definitely clears my doubts, I am going!

Edited by Lila Adams