Accepted into MICA MFA

TMB8272

Well, if they say no keep pushing! Calling is often more effective. I just declined my offer so my scholarship of about a 1/3 tuition should be opening up for someone (or a spot off the waitlist) for Mt. Royal at least.

Hey guys,

I just got an e-mail from Chris that they approved my request for additional funding, not as much as I asked but a significant amount! It definitely clears my doubts, I am going!

Congratulations, this is awesome!  Rinehart or Mount Royal? 

Congratulations, this is awesome!  Rinehart or Mount Royal? 

Rinehart! Mount Royal was too small an offer to begin with, It wasn't an option... but I think Rinehart is better for me also in terms of the program. What about you? have you made your decision yet?

Rinehart! Mount Royal was too small an offer to begin with, It wasn't an option... but I think Rinehart is better for me also in terms of the program. What about you? have you made your decision yet?

I'm waiting to hear back about more funding but I've already decided to say yes to Rinehart either way and just make it work. Looks like we'll be getting work with each other!

Got the e-mail today that Hoffberger upped my funding by $2700 per year.  That's hardly a fraction of what I was hoping for, but I guess it's $2700 more than I had =/  I'm fairly certain that I'm going to accept the offer, though.  Guess I'll be seeing some of you guys in Baltimore come fall!   What is everyone planning on doing for housing?  I've been looking around a bit at apartments but I honestly don't even know where to start.  

Hi Hillaryanne! Congradulations on the funding, any additional amount is money that you won't have to work for later to pay back - even if it's not what you expected it's still better than before.

I understood that on-campus housing is more expensive than living in the city. I was also told that it's better to look for something in a 1 mile radius of the school, because public transportation doesn't go in the direction of the school. 

Are you planning to rent a place before you get there? 

Edited by Lila Adams

Got the e-mail today that Hoffberger upped my funding by $2700 per year. That's hardly a fraction of what I was hoping for, but I guess it's $2700 more than I had =/ I'm fairly certain that I'm going to accept the offer, though. Guess I'll be seeing some of you guys in Baltimore come fall! What is everyone planning on doing for housing? I've been looking around a bit at apartments but I honestly don't even know where to start.

I went to mica and lived in baltimore for 7 years. Id recommend looking in charles village. Its relatively close, pretty cheap and pretty safe. A lot of mica kids live in bolton hill, adjacent to the school, but its way more expensive. You could also look into remington (cheaper than charles village, but not too convenient for commuting) or hampden (also cheaper/farther away). Public transportation is...not good in baltimore, which kind of exascerbates any commute in baltimore even when the distance isnt too far. I also spent a couple years in the copycat, a warehouse building where lots of mica kids lived, but it was getting way too expensive for what it is years ago so im not sure what the deal is now.

Edited by Derpderpderp

I'm looking for a place off campus too and it seems like the prices are reasonably fare.  I mean, I'm coming from San Francisco so anything below $1800 is amazing to me!  I've been talking to a current MFA student and she told me she found her place through Star Property Management.  I guess they have YouTube videos of their rentals so if you need to find a place before you arrive in the city they are super useful.

I never paid more than 350 (the lowest end of the scale was a house where i paid 150) for a room in baltimore. Its definitely a cheap place to live. If youre trying to live alone it will obviously be more in the 650-900 range

I am STILL going back and forth (between accepting MICA's offer or reapplying next year) and I have never been so stressed out = /  

Hi hillaryanne,

Someone wrote on the freakout forum that if you decline an offer they might not accept you again next year. I have no idea if its true or not, but maybe it's something you should consider... maybe you could ask Chris about it?

Hi hillaryanne,

Someone wrote on the freakout forum that if you decline an offer they might not accept you again next year. I have no idea if its true or not, but maybe it's something you should consider... maybe you could ask Chris about it?

That seems kinda childish of them if its true...

Hi hillaryanne,

Yeah, I had wondered about that.  I've decided to accept MICA's offer though, so looks like I'll only have to go through this process once!

Yeah, I had wondered about that.  I've decided to accept MICA's offer though, so looks like I'll only have to go through this process once!

Congradulations! I paid my deposit yesterday :) exciting!!

That seems kinda childish of them if its true...

I think it has to do with the rating of the schools, when they accept a student and that student declines, their rating goes down (that's what I was told), so maybe they don't want to take the risk with someone that previously declined their offer.. or maybe it's not even true, don't know...

Edited by Lila Adams

I think it has to do with the rating of the schools, when they accept a student and that student declines, their rating goes down (that's what I was told), so maybe they don't want to take the risk with someone that previously declined their offer.. or maybe it's not even true, don't know...

Huh, that's interesting.  Did any of the other schools that you declined ask where you were going instead and why?  I declined an offer from UCI and they asked me a bunch of questions about why MICA was a better choice.  I know its good information for them to know, but it made me feel really guilty, haha.