Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

I found out today that I am a semi-finalist for Germany (research). Congratulations to everyone who made it and best of luck to those who didn't.

Edited to include: I was an ETA in 2011-2012 (in a different country)

Edited by rotbart

So from what I understand, certain countries, but not all, have interviews, and if one were to advance after the interview, they would be considered a "finalist." But what about countries that do not conduct interviews? One would go from semi finalist to either winning a grant, or being rejected, without a finalist stage? 

1 hour ago, SmarterChild said:

So from what I understand, certain countries, but not all, have interviews, and if one were to advance after the interview, they would be considered a "finalist." But what about countries that do not conduct interviews? One would go from semi finalist to either winning a grant, or being rejected, without a finalist stage? 

It seems that they have just changed the terminology this year. Last year, at this stage, if you were recommended you were considered a "finalist."  But now, you are a finalist if you are approved by the country's Fulbright committee/U.S. Embassy in country and receive "principal" status in the final award notification - effectively you will be a finalist if you are approved for the grant whether you have an interview or not.  I hope that makes sense.  

16 hours ago, rotbart said:

I found out today that I am a semi-finalist for Germany (research). Congratulations to everyone who made it and best of luck to those who didn't.

Edited to include: I was an ETA in 2011-2012 (in a different country)

nice me too! where are you hoping to do research? and in what?

In case anyone is obsessed like me, I found this link super interesting last year and it has been updated for this application cycle.  There are links to the National Screening Committee lists, so you can see who reviewed your application (although for ETAs it doesn't separate the reviewers by region), and to pages that explain the application review process.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/country-review-resources

3 hours ago, RRachel1 said:

In case anyone is obsessed like me, I found this link super interesting last year and it has been updated for this application cycle.  There are links to the National Screening Committee lists, so you can see who reviewed your application (although for ETAs it doesn't separate the reviewers by region), and to pages that explain the application review process.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/country-review-resources

Wow, that was enlightening. I'm surprised in the two cycles I've applied my advisors have never mentioned this! Do you know if those documents for previous years are still available, or did you happen to save them?