Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

On the Fulbright website, if you go to Competition Timeline, and then move the calendar to January it says Recommendation Notifications Jan. 30.  Editing to add that based on the doc from the last couple years of competitions, the first round notification for everyone (recommended or not) happened the same day (Jan 16 last year and Jan 28 the year before), so at least the notifications for everyone happen together and on one day.  Based on that, I'd guess that Jan 30 will be the notification date, though I don't know if Fulbright said on their calendars last year and the year before the notification state and stuck with it.

Edited by lyonessrampant

4 hours ago, lyonessrampant said:

On the Fulbright website, if you go to Competition Timeline, and then move the calendar to January it says Recommendation Notifications Jan. 30.  Editing to add that based on the doc from the last couple years of competitions, the first round notification for everyone (recommended or not) happened the same day (Jan 16 last year and Jan 28 the year before), so at least the notifications for everyone happen together and on one day.  Based on that, I'd guess that Jan 30 will be the notification date, though I don't know if Fulbright said on their calendars last year and the year before the notification state and stuck with it.

Yeah it said the 30th on the website last year as well. But who knows they will most likely be closer to the 30th this year than earlier like last ! 

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone here has previous experience applying for the UK Partnership award. I applied for Fulbright funding this round for a one-year master's program in the U.K. The Fulbright award is contingent upon my acceptance to the program. My specific question for anyone who might have an idea is, should I be recommended this month, will I immediately need to show proof of my admission to the master's program? My concern is that I won't have heard from from the master's program by the time I hear back from the Fulbright.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Jade

1 hour ago, Photogeographic said:

Yeah it said the 30th on the website last year as well. But who knows they will most likely be closer to the 30th this year than earlier like last ! 

Good to know that the 30th is a by date and that it might be earlier.  Fingers crossed for earlier (if it's good news . . .if it isn't, I'd just as soon wait to know until I submit the chapter I'm working on in a couple weeks ;)

On January 6, 2016 at 6:22 AM, Photogeographic said:

Anyone here (other than Bluefit because I remember ya from before :) ) applying for the second or more time ? Anyone have any guesses on when they will notify us this year !? 

This is my fourth :blink: time applying, but my first time applying to the academic program. I am pretty sure that we all get notified on the first round at the same time, but then everyone gets notified at different times for the final round. In the past, Latin America and some Asian countries get notified first. The last time I applied, Central Asia was last due to political issues/funding. 

On December 31, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Photogeographic said:

Took the liberty to make a 2016-2017 spreadsheet. Its a basic attempt. If someone knows excel/google docs better feel free to make changes but its a start ? 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=1893879233

Thank you for creating this! 

30 minutes ago, Kj002 said:

This is my fourth :blink: time applying, but my first time applying to the academic program. I am pretty sure that we all get notified on the first round at the same time, but then everyone gets notified at different times for the final round. In the past, Latin America and some Asian countries get notified first. The last time I applied, Central Asia was last due to political issues/funding. 

Oh my god ! I could hug you. This is also my fourth time applying. I've been a finalist twice. I thought I was insane for applying so many times. I'm so glad I'm not the only one ! How did you decided to adapt your proposals ? I've applied to Kenya twice. Ethiopia and India. All but once applying under the arts. The one time I didn't was the one time I was not a finalist. Still don't have very high hopes this year but no regrets on applying either way.  

Hi all- 

Is there a consensus on what the Fulbright finalist-to-acceptance ratio is? I know it must vary a lot by country, but how significant do you think it is to be a finalist? (And of course - it's really hard to be a finalist or a Fulbright scholar as it is) . 

I'm really worried about possibly being named a finalist but then not getting the scholarship after additional months of waiting (thus hindering other opportunities). This is honestly the most nervous I've ever been for a decision waiting to happen!

Hey, found this site today. How is everyone doing? I'm a research applicant for Eastern Europe.

My question is does anyone know when statistics for 2016-2017 will be put up on the Fulbright website. I will be curious to see how many people applied to my country to try and gather an idea of what my odds are

Thanks

1 hour ago, ItsStumpy said:

Hi all- 

Is there a consensus on what the Fulbright finalist-to-acceptance ratio is? I know it must vary a lot by country, but how significant do you think it is to be a finalist? (And of course - it's really hard to be a finalist or a Fulbright scholar as it is) . 

I'm really worried about possibly being named a finalist but then not getting the scholarship after additional months of waiting (thus hindering other opportunities). This is honestly the most nervous I've ever been for a decision waiting to happen!

I don't know that there's any definitive, publicly-available information on this, but I recall from the last time I applied (when I was chosen as a finalist for an ETA but ultimately not selected) that the common knowledge seemed to be that around 2x as many people were selected as finalists as those that were eventually awarded the grants for each specific program. So that means if there are 25 ETA spots and 10 full research grants for a country, around 50 people will be chosen as ETA program finalists and 20 as finalists for research fellowships.  

On January 6, 2016 at 8:45 PM, ashtonjade said:

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone here has previous experience applying for the UK Partnership award. I applied for Fulbright funding this round for a one-year master's program in the U.K. The Fulbright award is contingent upon my acceptance to the program. My specific question for anyone who might have an idea is, should I be recommended this month, will I immediately need to show proof of my admission to the master's program? My concern is that I won't have heard from from the master's program by the time I hear back from the Fulbright.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Jade

You only need to show proof if you are selected though during my interview they asked if I had been accepted yet. I was still waiting to hear at that point.

16 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

Hey, found this site today. How is everyone doing? I'm a research applicant for Eastern Europe.

My question is does anyone know when statistics for 2016-2017 will be put up on the Fulbright website. I will be curious to see how many people applied to my country to try and gather an idea of what my odds are

Thanks

I don't think they update them until next summer or late fall :(

17 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

Thanks

We create a google sheet on this forum to track it ourselves since IIE doesn't publish the statistics until the next round. 

22 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Oh my god ! I could hug you. This is also my fourth time applying. I've been a finalist twice. I thought I was insane for applying so many times. I'm so glad I'm not the only one ! How did you decided to adapt your proposals ? I've applied to Kenya twice. Ethiopia and India. All but once applying under the arts. The one time I didn't was the one time I was not a finalist. Still don't have very high hopes this year but no regrets on applying either way.  

Well, that makes two insane people! I got my masters in intl education, so I felt a little overqualified for the ETA. I applied to Russia multiple times and Turkmenistan, where I was selected, but the program was canceled. Now, I am researching a sub-field of citizen diplomacy in Armenia. Therefore, I started from scratch on this essay. Admittedly, I ended up finding my own contract in Russia and then lived in Central Asia--so if you are interested in Kenya/Ethiopia/India, I hope you've found another route. Fulbright isn't the only way...and at times it seems super elitist. 

43 minutes ago, Kj002 said:

We create a google sheet on this forum to track it ourselves since IIE doesn't publish the statistics until the next round. 

Love how we as overachievers in this forum take it upon ourselves to do all of the tracking and gathering data. :)

This is my first time applying for a Fulbright academic grant and second time for a Fulbright grant in general (The NatGeo Storytelling one...wayy too competitive....864 people applying for 5 spots)

Edited by wildchartermage

2 hours ago, wildchartermage said:

Love how we as overachievers in this forum take it upon ourselves to do all of the tracking and gathering data. :)

This is my first time applying for a Fulbright academic grant and second time for a Fulbright grant in general (The NatGeo Storytelling one...wayy too competitive....864 people applying for 5 spots)

I second that ! Those Nat Geo odds are insane. I had always wanted to apply for it but always stuck with academic instead. Good luck wildchartermage  ! 

Edited by Photogeographic

Great! Thanks Kj002 and photogeographic for the answers. It's much appreciated

Another question I have is: On the Fulbright website it says the 30th is the day we will receive notification of whether or not we have been recommended to our host country. Is there any chance we get notified before that or is that the day everyone finds out?

I really want to get the Fulbright and it is my top option as a graduating senior, but the waiting process is far too long in my opinion. I am losing my mind over here...lol

8 hours ago, Horb said:

You only need to show proof if you are selected though during my interview they asked if I had been accepted yet. I was still waiting to hear at that point.

Thanks for this. When did you apply?

2 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

Another question I have is: On the Fulbright website it says the 30th is the day we will receive notification of whether or not we have been recommended to our host country. Is there any chance we get notified before that or is that the day everyone finds out?

I really want to get the Fulbright and it is my top option as a graduating senior, but the waiting process is far too long in my opinion. I am losing my mind over here...lol

That is the notification by date. There is a good chance it will be sooner !  

From last year ... although this may not help with the losing your mind part 

2015: January 16th... I think it was a Friday ? 

2014:  Tuesday, January 28th 

2013: Friday, January 18th

2012: Thursday, January 19th

2011: Thursday, January 20th

2010: Friday, January 29th (Apparently they had issues that year with the Embark system going down)

2009: Friday, January 30th

Edited by Photogeographic

2 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

yah, i know, it is way longer than it should be. But if you don't win Fulbright, make backup plans and keep applying for other fellowships!

On 1/6/2016 at 6:22 AM, Photogeographic said:

Anyone here (other than Bluefit because I remember ya from before :) ) applying for the second or more time ? Anyone have any guesses on when they will notify us this year !? 

Second time for me. I applied for the undergrad award for research for Japan for 2010-2011 and was an alternate. Now applying to Japan as a grad student. :) 

On 1/7/2016 at 0:11 PM, Kj002 said:

Third time applying... switched countries once (same area). I thought last year was my last chance since I was already a doc candidate, but I stalled a bit and re-applied. With the Fulbright, it can be hit or miss... you can have a great proposal and either it's just not research area they are looking for, or there are a number of equally-exceptional applications. For Sweden, the stats showed 10 places for a number of years, including the then-current application year (2015-2016); unfortunately, they only accepted 7 last year, so it looks like funding can change even after the application deadline. (I'm assuming the decrease in places was funding-based and not quality-based!)

This is without a doubt my last chance (for non-Scholar status). Crossing fingers, but I am not as confident (erroneously, apparently!) as last year. Anyone else applied for Sweden?

Good luck to all... a few more weeks and hopefully, a few more months after that!