Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

I faced a very similar situation on my application. My interview committee gave me some good advice, but there were also some things that they asked me to add that, quite frankly, I didn't believe belonged in a Fulbright application. (They also mentioned adding some things that were clearly already in my essays, as well as suggesting I talk about my Russian language skills. I don't speak Russian and am applying for Germany, so I'm not sure what that was about...). Anyway, while the committees know their stuff and aim to be helpful, I think it is good to remember that you know best how you want to express yourself in your application. Just as your opinions may differ from the committee members', the people in Washington and your future host country will have opinions of their own. There is no formula to this, and we are our own best advocates. I think the fact that you can weigh feedback and decide what you think fits best in your application speaks highly of your sense of self. That will show through, and I don't think you should have any remorse or worries about not accepting all the feedback. I think the committees rarely read essays again, and even if they do, I doubt they will be checking off that you took each of their suggestions. 

If you were receptive to feedback during the interview, it should be fine, especially if they were minor issues. I doubt they re-read all documents after you submit them. The eval is usually based on the interview.

Haha I guess you two are right, I was probably just being a little paranoid. I imagine it would be very difficult, cumbersome, and pretty pointless for them to REREAD all 100 applications (or however many there are), and even if they do, they likely won't be checking it to see if you incorporated every piece of advice they gave, which is, by all accounts, subjective anyway.

I applied to a grant with a relatively high number of awardees, so fingers crossed! Hopefully my school endorses me highly and I hope my second time applying goes better than the first. 

Edited by MastersHoping

Hi all!

I'm another one of the site lurkers who has been reading what all of you have hashed out on here and gleaned some advice. Of course, I didn't find this forum until after I had already hit that submit button and was trying to fill the void that was once consumed with tirelessly editing and re-editing my statements. I graduated in May, and I'm applying for an ETA in Laos. Is anyone else applying for Laos? Or even SE Asia? I've seen lots of research grant posts, and it looks like they're mostly to Europe!

Looking forward to sweating out the next few months with all of you!

-Lisa

Hi all!

I'm another one of the site lurkers who has been reading what all of you have hashed out on here and gleaned some advice. Of course, I didn't find this forum until after I had already hit that submit button and was trying to fill the void that was once consumed with tirelessly editing and re-editing my statements. I graduated in May, and I'm applying for an ETA in Laos. Is anyone else applying for Laos? Or even SE Asia? I've seen lots of research grant posts, and it looks like they're mostly to Europe!

Looking forward to sweating out the next few months with all of you!

-Lisa

Hey Lisa! I graduated in May as well and I considered applying for an ETA in Laos but I decided on Indonesia :) What made you pick Laos? 

Hey Lisa! I graduated in May as well and I considered applying for an ETA in Laos but I decided on Indonesia :) What made you pick Laos?

That's too funny, I considered Indonesia and I decided on Laos! I'm really fascinated by the whole area and their focus on a more traditional way of life. I spent some time in Myanmar and Vietnam last year, so I did a little reseach and talked to some Fulbrighters who had been to Laos and it seems like a mixture of both countries and some aspects of Thailand (which makes sense, because it's in the middle of all three!)

What about you? What drew you to Indonesia?

LisaBird, are you going to learn the Laotian language (unless you've already learned it)?

What got you so interested in SE Asia? 

I was considering applying to Indonesia too but realized I love South Korea too much and definitely want to go there. XD

I had a question about visas:

So Fulbright assists you in applying to visas, but what kind of visa would you be applying for? 

For example, in South Korea an E-2 visa is "foreign language instructor." Would that be the one we'd be applying for? If so, that would be super awesome because those kinds of visas have an easier time getting upgraded to an F-2 visa (permanent residence).

Guys hello, I have a question is this scholarship when deciding the placement is based solely  on the cost? Cause they actually kind of de-motivated us by telling us that Ivy league schools are really expensive and they gave us the feeling that they do not want anyone to be placed at them! I mean schools like Columbia,...etc!

Edited by salmazahran1992

Guys hello, I have a question is this scholarship when deciding the placement is based solely  on the cost? Cause they actually kind of de-motivated us by telling us that Ivy league schools are really expensive and they gave us the feeling that they do not want anyone to be placed at them! I mean schools like Columbia,...etc!

I'm not 100% since I've only applied US to another country, but my guess would be that if two equally good applications were being decided about, the cost may become a factor at that point.

Ugh. I also had a horrible campus committee review. I had an evaluator ask me questions that had nothing to do with my proposal. I seriously had to question if he had even read my proposal at all. Did you decided to submit At Large ? Good luck ! 

I still applied through my school. (I think it's required when you're enrolled and not an alumni.) But my primary academic recommender, who is also a previous Fulbright winner, said that evaluations do carry weight and I may have to live with a no. In my case, I felt that the committee had made up their minds before giving me a chance and I don't know why. I hope they still gave you a decent evaluation! Do you know what it was? But regardless, I wouldn't give up hope. At least our applications are in! Good luck!! 

Edited by Jigna11

Judging by your posts, I think you need to first make a decision on what is more important for you: either getting into an ivy league (or other "prestigious") school or getting into a school that stands out in your field and will prepare you for what comes next.  The Fulbright committee in the end is going to choose the school that would be the best fit for what you want to study and your goals based on your application.  They also say to be flexible, as almost everyone want to go to an ivy. 

I still applied through my school. (I think it's required when you're enrolled and not an alumni.) But my primary academic recommender, who is also a previous Fulbright winner, said that evaluations do carry weight and I may have to live with a no. In my case, I felt that the committee had made up their minds before giving me a chance and I don't know why. I hope they still gave you a decent evaluation! Do you know what it was? But regardless, I wouldn't give up hope. At least our applications are in! Good luck!! 

I agree ! At least they're in ! I'm not sure what my score was. My FPA told me right before I submitted my final application that there were still a lot of grammar issues I needed to work out. But didn't even do me the favor of giving me an edit or any specific feed back on what issues were there. This was after I had my campus writing center read it over multiple times, in addition to my teachers and mentors. The committee also gave me weird feed back about how I had filled out the application even though the way I filled it out was how Fulbright specially asked us to. (specifically dates on the employment pages). Hopefully if its meant to be it will work out !!  

3 hours ago, MastersHoping said:

No one knows anything about the visas? :(

They all depend on the country you are applying to, for what you're applying for/doing there, and how long you'll be there.

On Friday, October 30, 2015 12:00:53, MastersHoping said:

LisaBird, are you going to learn the Laotian language (unless you've already learned it)?

What got you so interested in SE Asia?

I was considering applying to Indonesia too but realized I love South Korea too much and definitely want to go there. XD

I'd love to learn Lao! Languages always fascinate me, I was a linguistics student, but all I've ever studied were languages of Latin origin and some German. Getting to learn something so different, especially with a different alphabet, would be such a great experience!

I love the culture of SE Asia. It's vastly different than Western culture, and I feel as though the best way to learn more about it is to immerse myself in it- especially in such a "developing" country as Laos.

I looked into South Korea as well! It was definitely on my list of potential places to apply, but when I read the country description it kind of turned me off. They were super strict about medical things- for example, I have a peanut allergy and wear contacts- and I got the impression that it would hurt my chances of getting the ETA. What was your take on that? And what are your feelings about the homestay situation?

Hello all! I am applying for a Fulbright research grant to Chile. I am very excited for this application season. Anyone else on here that is applying for a research grant/ETA to Chile? Or Central/South America? 

5 hours ago, frashi25 said:

Hello all! I am applying for a Fulbright research grant to Chile. I am very excited for this application season. Anyone else on here that is applying for a research grant/ETA to Chile? Or Central/South America? 

Hey! Nice seeing another applicant to Latin America here. I studied astronomy in Chile as an undergraduate, such an incredibly beautiful country. I'm applying for the full research grant in Colombia- applied for the ETA program a few years ago and was selected as a finalist but missed the final cut. Fingers crossed, maybe we'll both be successful this time around.

Hello Caiman, 

Astronomy sounds fascinating! I studied International Relations for undergrad. I applied for a Fulbright research grant before as well. I became a finalist before being cut in the last round. Yes, hopefully we both receive a grant. What is your research topic? 

1 hour ago, frashi25 said:

Hello Caiman, 

Astronomy sounds fascinating! I studied International Relations for undergrad. I applied for a Fulbright research grant before as well. I became a finalist before being cut in the last round. Yes, hopefully we both receive a grant. What is your research topic? 

Yes! While I'll always have a soft spot for both Chile and its beautiful night skies, as it turns out I wasn't really cut out to be an astronomer. I study linguistics these days, and if I'm awarded a Fulbright I'd be collecting field recordings in Medellín to further some research I've been doing on (among other things) variation in second-person pronoun choice in natural interactions.

How about you? What's your general research topic?

Edited by caiman

On 11/3/2015, 12:41:42, frashi25 said:

So you in grad school now? I applied UK for scholar program, due to 5 years of professional experience. Alternate two years in a row.. fingers crossed as they said by Nov15th we'll know whose moving on to next round.. So you are doing the scholar program or the student program

Edited by Bluefit

On 11/2/2015, 12:39:09, LisaBird said:

I'd love to learn Lao! Languages always fascinate me, I was a linguistics student, but all I've ever studied were languages of Latin origin and some German. Getting to learn something so different, especially with a different alphabet, would be such a great experience!

I love the culture of SE Asia. It's vastly different than Western culture, and I feel as though the best way to learn more about it is to immerse myself in it- especially in such a "developing" country as Laos.

I looked into South Korea as well! It was definitely on my list of potential places to apply, but when I read the country description it kind of turned me off. They were super strict about medical things- for example, I have a peanut allergy and wear contacts- and I got the impression that it would hurt my chances of getting the ETA. What was your take on that? And what are your feelings about the homestay situation?

Haha yeah I would imagine it is very very different from what we're used to in the states!!!

Hmmm, luckily I don't have any of those problems. No allergies, and usually wear glasses over contacts (contacts hurt and dry out my eyes! :o )

The homestay is probably the best thing about Korea. I've been learning Korean for quite some time now, and I spent the past summer living with a host in Seoul who didn't speak that much English. Really helped me with learning the language :D 

Only 2.5~~ more months! 

On 11/7/2015, 3:04:26, Bluefit said:

So you in grad school now? I applied UK for scholar program, due to 5 years of professional experience. Alternate two years in a row.. fingers crossed as they said by Nov15th we'll know whose moving on to next round.. So you are doing the scholar program or the student program

Hi Bluefit, I am applying for the student program. I don't find out if I got through the first round until January. :( I am assuming you applied for the scholars program? Which country are you applying for and what is your research topic? 

I will have my fingers crossed for the Nov. 15th deadline! :) 

Applied for Fulbright 9 months academic research grant for Italy for 2016-17! I was either for Deafness study grant or the general grant, but I chose go to with the general grant because it is 9 months instead of 6 months (Deafness grant) and gives me enough time for my project. 

Anyone else applying to Italy?

Edited by wildchartermage

On 11/10/2015, 2:07:05, frashi25 said:

Hi Bluefit, I am applying for the student program. I don't find out if I got through the first round until January. :( I am assuming you applied for the scholars program? Which country are you applying for and what is your research topic? 

I will have my fingers crossed for the Nov. 15th deadline! :) 

I am applying for the UK, pretty competitive, but we will see. I called the Fulbright Commission and they stated from Nov 15th to Dec 15th they will notify. So the wait could be longer. My topic will be centered around public policy/ intelligence. Unfortunately, I'm younger then most on the scholar program. Last year, I lost out to a PHD person who was like in her 50's. I essentially checked the scholar list, thus knowing who received the one grant.  That's the other issue, I am fighting for one grant.  So we will see!!!!!!!!  I am hoping to do my PHD in International Relations/Security in Belgium.