Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

What a coincidence! I actually was kicking myself for not applying to a German ETA and choosing the UK Fulbright, even though I was a finalist. The odds would have been far more in my favor and I love Germany. My ultimate goal is to live in the UK, Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. Good luck with everything this round!

What a coincidence! I actually was kicking myself for not applying to a German ETA and choosing the UK Fulbright, even though I was a finalist. The odds would have been far more in my favor and I love Germany. My ultimate goal is to live in the UK, Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. Good luck with everything this round!

Same to you, Germany chances are much better than other places.  Good luck !!!!!

Yes, the UK is very competitive. I applied the past two years under the scholar program and was selected each time as an Alternate. Fighting for the one grant is difficult. Good luck!!!!!!!!!   I am in a PH.D program now and work full time. Hopefully, my Fulbright proposal is geared towards my PH.D. I am hoping in the big picture to move to Europe few years down the road. Love it there.. 

I actually decided against it, instead I'm just going to apply for PHd programs. I went to the APSA Annual Meeting this past week and every single person graduate student/professor I met tried to convince me otherwise, they basically told me I'm wasting my time. Thanks for the response and advice though!

I actually decided against it, instead I'm just going to apply for PHd programs. I went to the APSA Annual Meeting this past week and every single person graduate student/professor I met tried to convince me otherwise, they basically told me I'm wasting my time. Thanks for the response and advice though!

Though Uk very competitive, Germany is not as much. If you still interested, try it there

I peeked this forum many months ago, but this will be my first post here. I'd like to get some general feedback as to whether I have even an inkling of a chance at this Fulbright. I'm a recent college grad, applying for the first time to a Research Fulbright in Spain. I have a collaborator at the Solar Energy Institute in Madrid, and my proposal will revolve around increasing the efficiency of solar cells by applying different materials to the rear surface (so materials science research). 

I decided to apply in late July (after vaguely thinking about it for a while), so I'm way behind the curve of anyone here haha. My family and peers don't have much study abroad (physics and engineering majors at my school weren't really encouraged to do so), so I had to really convince myself to even apply. Anyways, I luckily found my collaborator quickly, but the "Spain goes on vacation in August" thing happened, so I'm basically putting together my proposal now, and have put my personal statement through multiple drafts (albeit with limited feedback). I have all 3 references lined up to write my recommendations, and my collaborator (a professor at the Technical University of Madrid) already has a semi-proposal which I'm working off of, as they've been wanting to take on this line of research for a little while.

I suppose my biggest worry at first glance is whether my proposal is inherently viable for Spain. On the one hand, my observation is that engineering research isn't common for Spain Fulbrights, so I may get some points for the "uniqueness factor". Also, solar energy continues to be a big deal in Spain, even though the economic crisis from 2008 slowed a lot of their growth. But, I'm having trouble justifying why I have to do this research IN SPAIN, as opposed to any other country. While the Solar Energy Institute is quite respectable, all of its technical resources (lab/characterization equipment and facilities) are available at any number of labs in the US, Germany, Japan, etc. This contrasts with, for example, a research Fulbright studying the architecture of medieval Seville, which you could literally only do in Spain. In other words, my research isn't inextricably linked with geographically being in Spain. The main reason I want to study there is to become fluent in Spanish (which I've been self-studying for a number of years and am quite advanced in), and because I've inevitably become more interested in Spain and Spanish culture during the course of my studies. 

I've attached an early draft of my personal statement in case anyone wants to review, but any feedback on what I've said above is highly appreciated.

Personal_Statement_Draft_Virginia.docx

I peeked this forum many months ago, but this will be my first post here. I'd like to get some general feedback as to whether I have even an inkling of a chance at this Fulbright. I'm a recent college grad, applying for the first time to a Research Fulbright in Spain. I have a collaborator at the Solar Energy Institute in Madrid, and my proposal will revolve around increasing the efficiency of solar cells by applying different materials to the rear surface (so materials science research). 

I decided to apply in late July (after vaguely thinking about it for a while), so I'm way behind the curve of anyone here haha. My family and peers don't have much study abroad (physics and engineering majors at my school weren't really encouraged to do so), so I had to really convince myself to even apply. Anyways, I luckily found my collaborator quickly, but the "Spain goes on vacation in August" thing happened, so I'm basically putting together my proposal now, and have put my personal statement through multiple drafts (albeit with limited feedback). I have all 3 references lined up to write my recommendations, and my collaborator (a professor at the Technical University of Madrid) already has a semi-proposal which I'm working off of, as they've been wanting to take on this line of research for a little while.

I suppose my biggest worry at first glance is whether my proposal is inherently viable for Spain. On the one hand, my observation is that engineering research isn't common for Spain Fulbrights, so I may get some points for the "uniqueness factor". Also, solar energy continues to be a big deal in Spain, even though the economic crisis from 2008 slowed a lot of their growth. But, I'm having trouble justifying why I have to do this research IN SPAIN, as opposed to any other country. While the Solar Energy Institute is quite respectable, all of its technical resources (lab/characterization equipment and facilities) are available at any number of labs in the US, Germany, Japan, etc. This contrasts with, for example, a research Fulbright studying the architecture of medieval Seville, which you could literally only do in Spain. In other words, my research isn't inextricably linked with geographically being in Spain. The main reason I want to study there is to become fluent in Spanish (which I've been self-studying for a number of years and am quite advanced in), and because I've inevitably become more interested in Spain and Spanish culture during the course of my studies. 

I've attached an early draft of my personal statement in case anyone wants to review, but any feedback on what I've said above is highly appreciated.

My thought:

Well the reason you are doing it in Spain, even though there labs in the U.S, is exactly why J. William Fulbright created  the program. "to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries." That's why you are doing it in Spain. Spain is where your collaborator is, and it's a viable research topic which could enhance mutual understanding between the U.S and Spain. Both leaders in Solar Energy. 

Hey everyone, I'm so happy to see that theGradCafe is still an active source for applicants. I'm applying for a different fellowship this year, but I'll be checking back here every once in a while to answer questions if I can.

I was in your shoes last year, and I hope you the best. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment, both the application process and (if the stars align) the award letter.

My one advice now is to find out who is on the Fulbright board in your host country and tailor your essay to their interests and mission. Have them shaking their head fervently in agreement while reading your statement of purpose. That's the one advice I would give myself if I could go back in time.

Kbui do you have any suggestions on how to find who is on the Fulbright board ? I have tried in the past for Kenya but it seemed impossible ! 

My thought:

Well the reason you are doing it in Spain, even though there labs in the U.S, is exactly why J. William Fulbright created  the program. "to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries." That's why you are doing it in Spain. Spain is where your collaborator is, and it's a viable research topic which could enhance mutual understanding between the U.S and Spain. Both leaders in Solar Energy. 

I think that I'll be fine from a "personal interest" perspective. I suppose the wording of the Fulbright instructions just worries me a bit, since they really push to make a strong case for a particular country, and why you couldn't do the project anywhere else. 

I think that I'll be fine from a "personal interest" perspective. I suppose the wording of the Fulbright instructions just worries me a bit, since they really push to make a strong case for a particular country, and why you couldn't do the project anywhere else. 

Research why the location is better than others. Maybe research the company is discuss why it's much better then others. Also, I mean that's where you got the collaborator from.  

Hi all, 

I'm currently applying for the UK fulbright to study at Warwick and I'm super nervous because everything I've heard about it indicates that its super-competitive. Wondering if anyone would mind critiquing my statement of grant purpose? And if anyone else is applying for the UK?

thanks

Hi all, 

I'm currently applying for the UK fulbright to study at Warwick and I'm super nervous because everything I've heard about it indicates that its super-competitive. Wondering if anyone would mind critiquing my statement of grant purpose? And if anyone else is applying for the UK?

thanks

Hey, I'm not a pro at the Fulbright stuff (I'm applying for the first time myself), but I'd be happy to look over your statement from a "general reader's" perspective if you'd be willing to make a quick critique of mine.

Hi all, 

thanks

Well, I applied under scholar, and my proposal was turned in August 3. But if you would like me to look it over, let me know. 

Internal deadline at my university today, so I've submitted and taking a break till my interview next week. How's everyone else doing?

So did you receive one last year or are you applying now

Hey everyone, I'm so happy to see that theGradCafe is still an active source for applicants. I'm applying for a different fellowship this year, but I'll be checking back here every once in a while to answer questions if I can.

I was in your shoes last year, and I hope you the best. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment, both the application process and (if the stars align) the award letter.

My one advice now is to find out who is on the Fulbright board in your host country and tailor your essay to their interests and mission. Have them shaking their head fervently in agreement while reading your statement of purpose. That's the one advice I would give myself if I could go back in time.

I've spent the last 30 minutes looking through the 2014-2015 version of this thread, and remember everybody being upset when you weren't originally selected - Stoked to see things worked out for you!

Where are my Korea ETA applicants at? I'm very late on the train (started the application a week ago, barely met my school deadline last night) but am incredibly excited to see how things play out.

I'm also curious to hear from anybody (not necessarily SK) coming from a technical background that received a grant in the last few years. I'm graduating in December with a degree in Computer Science and am hoping that my engineering background will help me, especially with regards to having a unique extracurricular project / community impact. 

Of course, I would also love for any current / past ETAs to look over my SOGP if you would be so kind :D 

So did you receive one last year or are you applying now

No, never received one before. I applied back in undergrad and was an alternate, but first time applying as a graduate student. 

Hi Brian,

I just received a research student award for this year (I'm taking a later departure date so I'm leaving in a few months). I meant to peek in on last year's forum, ended up here instead, started nostalgically thinking about how awful this process was....

Anyway, I was told by people (not just my advisor but also folks who had previously received Fulbrights) that for the research grants, it's really important to be able to articulate WHY you have to be in THAT particular country in order to do your research. I think even if a lot of their resources there are the same as here, you might want to do some research and see if there's something specific about the climate there or specific studies they've done or if there are specific research libraries or resources that are unique to Spain that you can link into your proposal somehow.. Too many people would love to go somewhere else just to go so to differentiate yourself you have to be able to show why it's imperative to be in that country. 

I know that's not what you want to hear -- that part stressed me out a lot, tbh. But it will make your application a lot stronger if you can demonstrate that.

Good luck!

Hi Brian,

I just received a research student award for this year (I'm taking a later departure date so I'm leaving in a few months). I meant to peek in on last year's forum, ended up here instead, started nostalgically thinking about how awful this process was....

Anyway, I was told by people (not just my advisor but also folks who had previously received Fulbrights) that for the research grants, it's really important to be able to articulate WHY you have to be in THAT particular country in order to do your research. I think even if a lot of their resources there are the same as here, you might want to do some research and see if there's something specific about the climate there or specific studies they've done or if there are specific research libraries or resources that are unique to Spain that you can link into your proposal somehow.. Too many people would love to go somewhere else just to go so to differentiate yourself you have to be able to show why it's imperative to be in that country. 

I know that's not what you want to hear -- that part stressed me out a lot, tbh. But it will make your application a lot stronger if you can demonstrate that.

Good luck!

But it's what I need to hear, so thanks haha. I think that as a first pass, I'll stress geography (Spain gets lots of sun), and that despite reduced investment, Spain will inevitably make heavy use of solar power in the future just because it has such a high natural resource.

As far as specific things for my research, I think I'll try to stress personnel, and ask my affiliation what special knowledge and experience his staff has with my particular topic, even if the equipment is available elsewhere. I interned at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Colorado last year, which is literally THE WORLD's premier laboratory on solar energy. So that thought always gets in my way when I try to distinguish the Solar Energy Institute in Spain haha.

Hi everyone

Bit of a technical question I'm hoping someone might know the answer to. 

I am intending to apply for the general Fulbright award to study in the US. I'm coming from the UK and am planning to apply for non-degree study (as I'm already enrolled on a doctorate in the UK).

On the Embark online application portal, Q27 (study/research objectives) states "Do not mention specific U.S. universities at which you would like to study."

However, in the guidance document produced by the UK Fulbright people it states on page 11, regarding Q27: "Reference the specific universities where you would like to study or have applied to and highlight your top choice "

These two pieces of guidance appear to directly contradict each other... Any wisdom on whether to discuss university choice or not?

Thanks

Hi everyone

Bit of a technical question I'm hoping someone might know the answer to. 

I am intending to apply for the general Fulbright award to study in the US. I'm coming from the UK and am planning to apply for non-degree study (as I'm already enrolled on a doctorate in the UK).

On the Embark online application portal, Q27 (study/research objectives) states "Do not mention specific U.S. universities at which you would like to study."

However, in the guidance document produced by the UK Fulbright people it states on page 11, regarding Q27: "Reference the specific universities where you would like to study or have applied to and highlight your top choice "

These two pieces of guidance appear to directly contradict each other... Any wisdom on whether to discuss university choice or not?

Thanks

Email the Fulbright Contact listed on the website. They are meant for this kind of stuff (and contacting them doesn't impact your chances of winning/losing, as some fear it will). 

Hi everyone

Thanks

Like above, you could inquire directly for clarification.  My friend who was awarded a Fulbright to the US came across the same thing.  In his he expressed preference for a few US universities, but in the end was assigned to a university.  He still ended up with a good arrangement for his PHD studies.

Email the Fulbright Contact listed on the website. They are meant for this kind of stuff (and contacting them doesn't impact your chances of winning/losing, as some fear it will). 

Yes thanks - I already have! The day before I posted here. And no response as yet... I guess calling them is the next option but I know they're a small team and probably very busy at the moment.