Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

On 1/16/2016 at 2:49 PM, miracle18 said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm currently a UK Fulbright. I just realized today makes one year since I found out I was a semi-finalist, and it made me think of this forum. This was a great support system throughout the waiting period. I know how stressful it can be to wait for so long, but it will be over before you know it. Good luck to everyone during the semi-finalist, finalist, and interview stage. 

And congrats to everyone that made it through the first stage. 

Thanks miracle18! I'm a semi-finalist for the UK now and I was wondering what your experience with the interview was like. Was it people from the program to which you applied or a general panel for the UK? What sort of questions did they ask you? When did you get a final response?

12 hours ago, gradschoolyaya12 said:

Hey guys, has anyone NOT heard back from Fulbright yet? Is this unusual? 

All ETA and research applicants received emails last Friday. Maybe check your spam folder? Otherwise it looks like other types of Fulbright  (Clinton, Fogarty, NatGeo) applicants haven't heard back yet.

10 hours ago, mmj2115 said:

I haven't heard yet (based out of US). Anyone else heard from Clinton Fulbright?

Crickets over here...

According to the spreadsheet, last year's Clinton Fulbright applicants heard back about 1.5 weeks after the ETA/research applicants did, so I'm thinking we won't hear anything til next week.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if the second notifications go out on a grant-by-grant basis or do all grants for one country hear on the same day?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone still waiting!!

9 hours ago, oco25721 said:

All ETA and research applicants received emails last Friday. Maybe check your spam folder? Otherwise it looks like other types of Fulbright  (Clinton, Fogarty, NatGeo) applicants haven't heard back yet.

Thanks oco25721! So close yet so far away!!! Good luck to you as well!

18 hours ago, Carterware said:

Thanks miracle18! I'm a semi-finalist for the UK now and I was wondering what your experience with the interview was like. Was it people from the program to which you applied or a general panel for the UK? What sort of questions did they ask you? When did you get a final response?

Congrats on being a semi-finalist! It was a general panel for the UK. I know a few of the fulbrighters had people who specialized in their field, but I think most of us had a general panel. Just be prepared for either. Most of the interview questions are general. They typically don't ask specific questions about your research. It's more about getting to know you and your interest in the UK. And my interview was the first week of February, and I didn't get my final response until March 30th, but I think this was later than the usual response time. Also, it would be beneficial to apply to the university prior to final selection. I was sent an email a couple weeks before the final response telling me I needed to apply before they selected their recipient. I had 24 hours to apply to the university, but I think this depends on the university. Some universities have their own requirements for Fulbright applicants, but the university does have a say in who is selected. 

Edited by miracle18

49 minutes ago, kfm said:

Does anyone know if the second notifications go out on a grant-by-grant basis or do all grants for one country hear on the same day?

It's all over the place -- check out the google doc (it was reposted just above your post), it has a list of all of the dates every country has sent out notifications for the past 5 years or so.

3 hours ago, kfm said:

For the most part, all the grant applicants for one country should be notified on the same day.  I believe that there have been some exceptions to this in the past, though.

23 hours ago, gradschoolyaya12 said:

I'm based out of the US and applying to a country in Sub-Saharan Africa. I suppose I should find out soon enough! 

Where in Sub-Saharan Africa, gradschoolyaya12? And have you heard anything yet? 

Edited by HomewardBound

On 1/19/2016 at 8:33 PM, sairam94 said:

Interesting! How would they determine who would be able to function independently through the application though? 

From what I heard, usually language skills and sometimes its like familiarity with the country. One fulbrighter I had spoken with told me that one of the women at the consulate literally told her how 'relieved' she was to 'finally' have a fulbrighter who knew how to do things on their own and didn't need hand holding. The fulbrighter had strong language skills + had spent some time in the country previously, so they didn't need help finding apartments or getting around. I'm sure that's something they seriously consider when reviewing applicants, because the more they have to handhold someone, the less time they have to do other things. But I'm not sure if this applies to all countries/consulates, but I'm sure that since in most of our applications having a familiarity with the country is huge, that they'll look upon it favorably during the committee review for a variety of reasons. 

1 hour ago, onno said:

Hi all, I just wanted to double check - do we send our official transcripts to this address:

U.S. Student Programs Division
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017-3580

Yes that is the one on the website from the email:

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT
U.S. Student Programs
Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017

and the zip code extension is 3508 which is what you have :)

1 hour ago, lsatings said:

From what I heard, usually language skills and sometimes its like familiarity with the country. One fulbrighter I had spoken with told me that one of the women at the consulate literally told her how 'relieved' she was to 'finally' have a fulbrighter who knew how to do things on their own and didn't need hand holding. The fulbrighter had strong language skills + had spent some time in the country previously, so they didn't need help finding apartments or getting around. I'm sure that's something they seriously consider when reviewing applicants, because the more they have to handhold someone, the less time they have to do other things. But I'm not sure if this applies to all countries/consulates, but I'm sure that since in most of our applications having a familiarity with the country is huge, that they'll look upon it favorably during the committee review for a variety of reasons. 

Oh ok. Thanks for the info! Now I'm more paranoid because I've never been to the country I'm applying to (Spain) ?

1 hour ago, Dilemma1 said:

Yes that is the one on the website from the email:

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT
U.S. Student Programs
Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017

and the zip code extension is 3508 which is what you have :)

Thanks!!

Hi guys,

Instead of sending in the paper version of transcripts, what about the online part?

Has anyone done the below yet? Are these two different things....one from either a Fulbright Program Adviser or the Registrar's Office will be acceptable?

"If a Fulbright Program Adviser has the official transcript(s) which was uploaded into the online application, this may be sent to IIE directly by the Fulbright Program Adviser. Please instruct the Fulbright Program Adviser to include a letter verifying that the enclosed transcript is an official transcript.

IIE will accept an official electronic transcript if it is sent to IIE directly from the Registrar’s office. Official electronic transcripts can be sent to Vennette Ward."

Usually, sending in a paper transcript will cost money for the applicant, and I'll rather save the money when I can. 

7 hours ago, pdelacru said:

I think that spreadsheet is missing Andorra ^_^ Granted it's a small country...

I wasn't sure if I would mess up the alphabetical order if I added my notification date ?

I added a line above Argentina so you can fill it in!

Rejected! Ah well, congratulations to the UK people who got it! 

How many of you on here would take another shot next year or have applied twice before? Weighing up my options. 

Also - sensational timing - my GRE is booked for tomorrow and I'm not sure whether to take it. Seems a shame to waste the effort! Any thoughts?