Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

5 minutes ago, sat0ri said:

For those of you accepted/alternates/rejected, could you discern from the subject line of the email whether or not you were accepted? My stomach is turning just thinking about receiving that email

For my accepted email the subject line was "Fulbright Application Status (P)". I think generally speaking 'accepts' have the (P) for principal and alternates have an (A) for alternate. I'm not sure about rejections though, seems a bit cruel to see an (R) in the subject line and already know what the email will say.

11 minutes ago, awayfromhere said:

For my accepted email the subject line was "Fulbright Application Status (P)". I think generally speaking 'accepts' have the (P) for principal and alternates have an (A) for alternate. I'm not sure about rejections though, seems a bit cruel to see an (R) in the subject line and already know what the email will say.

It said (NS) next to mine back in 2013 - not selected. Not sure if that's the case again. 

10 hours ago, sat0ri said:

For those of you accepted/alternates/rejected, could you discern from the subject line of the email whether or not you were accepted? My stomach is turning just thinking about receiving that email

My rejection came as "Fulbright Application Status (NS)" which I figured before opening meant "not selected"

Wow, I am new to this forum and I was just reading through this thread (I'm semi-finalist for ETA Russia) and I think now I'm even more anxious/excited/nervous than before! How exciting for everyone who has heard back -- I hope I'll be joining you in that soon. Waiting is the worsttttttt D:

I'm getting married on Saturday and I just told my fiancé that I am definitely more nervous about my Fulbright results next week (hopefully!) than our wedding in a few days. To my great relief, he totally understood.

But I feel like I've gone absolutely crazy. 

Edited by Caytei

19 minutes ago, UTKGrad said:

I was just awarded a Fulbright to Belgium! Best of luck to everyone waiting. 

Congratulations!! Studying/Researching or teaching? If studying/researching, what's the topic?

1 hour ago, UTKGrad said:

I just got awarded a Fulbright to Belgium too! I literally made an account on here just to write you! Mine is a study/research grant. Where will you be and what will you be doing? :)

2 hours ago, UTKGrad said:

47 minutes ago, ziggysunshine said:

I just got awarded a Fulbright to Belgium too! I literally made an account on here just to write you! Mine is a study/research grant. Where will you be and what will you be doing? :)

Congrats to you both!  It's great to hear such exciting news :D

Don't forget to fill out the spreadsheet! You don't have to fill out any personal information just the details about country and time you heard back.  Present and future applicants will be grateful :) 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=1893879233

1 hour ago, ziggysunshine said:

Congrats! I also have a research grant. I will primarily be in Brussels. I am a historian of medieval Europe and my PhD dissertation focuses on the manuscript collections of Jacques de Vitry's sermonns. I was in Belgium for a month in June as a preliminary research trip. What are you working on and where will you be? Do you know if we will be contacted with more detailed information regarding the award? Again, congrats to you!

5 minutes ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

Yes, that notification email really slaps you in the face.  But at least it's like ripping off a band-aid...?

Well, that's a good way to look at it haha

Did anyone here apply years ago when they still sent the news via snail mail?

The sad white envelope when I was an alternate in 2010 stung >.> 

Edited by kyjin

2 hours ago, UTKGrad said:

Congrats! I also have a research grant. I will primarily be in Brussels. I am a historian of medieval Europe and my PhD dissertation focuses on the manuscript collections of Jacques de Vitry's sermonns. I was in Belgium for a month in June as a preliminary research trip. What are you working on and where will you be? Do you know if we will be contacted with more detailed information regarding the award? Again, congrats to you!

I'm a historian too! :) I'll be mostly based in Leuven since there's a free master's degree attached to my grant, but my own work focuses on early 20th century urban planning and city reconstruction, especially following WWI. The current body of my thesis revolves around Ypres out in the Westhoek region, so I'll probably be going there frequently as well. I did preliminary research in Belgium too, last year! I came and went a few times (maybe two or three times) but only spent about a week at a time there.

As for information, I assume we'll be receiving a letter in the mail soon, as well as other emails. My sister got a Fulbright last year (to Austria) and she just told me that her initial acceptance email was not super informative either!

Congratulations to you too! 

Edited by ziggysunshine

@sairam94 I have tried guessing based on previous years, but they have been all over the place!! I'm on spring break next week and all the other blogs I've read have said they were on spring break when they heard back...so that's what I'm relying on lol. I just wanna know!! Will you reapply for Spain if you don't get it? I think I might, but I don't know if I could playing the waiting game for another year. 

@sairam94 @LifeLearner I am also a semi-finalist to Spain for the ETA! I just found this forum and have been lurking; I thought it might help with the wait but its only made me more anxious! From the past couple years, it looks like the final notifications came out exactly 2 months after the initial notifications, so hopefully that is the case again this year and they come out next week...

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted thus far! I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments, anxieties and encouragements. So, I finally decided to join in the conversation. I am also in a constant state of anticipation for my email: Germany for dissertation research. 

I just heard that I was an alternate for CLS (which I received last summer) and therefore now I believe that all of my other academic pursuits will come back as "rejected"-this is silly, of course!

I wanted to suggest that if you don't get accepted (say, to Spain as LifeLearner suggested) that you do try again! I have been told that often if they don't fund you one year they will the next. After all, you have written a proposal that a national committee of scholars deemed worthy of funding and that says a great deal about the integrity of your project and your ability to effectively articulate its importance/relevance. Kudos!

Best of luck to you all!!

2 minutes ago, rsolo said:

@sairam94 @LifeLearner I am also a semi-finalist to Spain for the ETA! I just found this forum and have been lurking; I thought it might help with the wait but its only made me more anxious! From the past couple years, it looks like the final notifications came out exactly 2 months after the initial notifications, so hopefully that is the case again this year and they come out next week...

18 minutes ago, LifeLearner said:

@sairam94 I have tried guessing based on previous years, but they have been all over the place!! I'm on spring break next week and all the other blogs I've read have said they were on spring break when they heard back...so that's what I'm relying on lol. I just wanna know!! Will you reapply for Spain if you don't get it? I think I might, but I don't know if I could playing the waiting game for another year. 

Fingers crossed!! I will not be trying again. I have a seat in medical school already so if this doesn't work out its off to med school for me!! Have you guys ever been to Spain? I'm nervous that they could reject me based on that alone, but I have had a lot of experience with Spanish in the states so hopefully they look at that. 

Just now, sairam94 said:

Fingers crossed!! I will not be trying again. I have a seat in medical school already so if this doesn't work out its off to med school for me!! Have you guys ever been to Spain? I'm nervous that they could reject me based on that alone, but I have had a lot of experience with Spanish in the states so hopefully they look at that. 

I studied abroad there for 6 months last year. Congrats on med school! I also applied to the auxiliaries program through the Spanish Ministry of Education, which is a lot less competitive, so hopefully I'll be back in Spain even if Fulbright doesn't work out.

3 minutes ago, rsolo said:

I studied abroad there for 6 months last year. Congrats on med school! I also applied to the auxiliaries program through the Spanish Ministry of Education, which is a lot less competitive, so hopefully I'll be back in Spain even if Fulbright doesn't work out.

Awesome! And thank you :) so it seems pretty rare that they pick people that have never been to the country. Now I'm nervous :o 

On March 7, 2016 at 0:20 PM, kfm said:

I'm just curious do any of you know if Fulbright generally contacts you to verify your address before sending out an acceptance email? I have heard that some countries do that prior to notifying you that you have won and I am just wondering if that applies to all countries.. 

4 minutes ago, Isabella16 said:

I'm just curious do any of you know if Fulbright generally contacts you to verify your address before sending out an acceptance email? I have heard that some countries do that prior to notifying you that you have won and I am just wondering if that applies to all countries.. 

Japan did. They also asked for my phone number. 

@sairam94 @rsolo Yeah congrats on med school, that's huge!! :) It's good to know there are other Spain semi-finalists anxiously waiting haha. I studied abroad in Granada last year and volunteered while I was there (in between the tapas lol). But I don't think you need experience in a country because a girl from my university became a Spain ETA and hadn't been to Spain. I also applied for the auxiliaries program, City Year (for a west coast position) and a mission trip through my church where I can be in Latin America so I will be doing something to maybe beef up my application for next year if I don't get it and reapply. But let's hope we all get it next week!!