Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

On 2/15/2016 at 9:43 AM, Photogeographic said:

I did not. Didn't even make it as a finalist this year ! But I am not too down about it. Making it as a finalist last year helped me get a grant this year to do the project finally. I will probably be applying next year again but not to a country with such challenging odds. Did you hear back yet ?! 

On 2/18/2016 at 0:21 PM, Photogeographic said:

I will be photographing the use of honey bees as a mitigation technique in the human elephant conflict in Kenya. :)elephantsandbees.com

Hey Am i missing something? did you get the Fulbright or the Nat award? 

23 hours ago, wildchartermage said:

Argh, this is so annoying.

I already had asked my institution to send in an electronic version of my official transcript to this address:  fusptranscripts@fulbrightmail.org 

That email address came from the Resources website that we got in our notification email this past January.

But instead, just today, i got this message:

"This is a reminder to please arrange for your official transcript to be sent to IIE as soon as possible. The transcript must be the original, registrar generated transcript and in a sealed envelope when mailed in hard copy. Failure to submit in a timely manner may delay the notification of the next stage of your application in the Fulbright U.S. Student award process.

We are missing the following transcript(s):

BA degree granting/expected institution

If you have requested the transcript(s), you may want to check with the registrar to verify when they were sent.  Please allow at least 2-3 weeks for the transcripts to reach IIE and be processed.  Also, be sure that the transcripts are clearly addressed to:

US Student Programs
Institute of International Education
809 UN Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Please contact me if you have any questions."

I already asked her to check that email address and let me know. Has anyone else experienced this? This is frustrating and nerve-wracking!

I'm a semi-finalist for Germany for search/study.  I got the same email yesterday.  My school also had a record of sending the transcript.  Richard Harris replied that transcripts get lost in the mail or they process so many themselves that they can misplace them.  He reassured me that I have time to resend one and I shouldn't worry much more about it.  He said to check back with him on March 11 to make sure it arrived.  I'm assuming this means Germany applicants shouldn't expect results until after that date.  Good luck to you!

I heard back from the Fulbright-Nat Geo on Friday, as I was anticipating they would get back to us then since it was a Friday, and the transcripts were due that day for the Nat-Geo component. 

I made it to the Final 10 of candidates who will be interviewed in DC in March!!! This is so scary!!! This is the last round, and after this they will split it in half and award 5 Fellowships!  I've been talking with my friends who did the first round and one of the ones who is currently abroad finishing her fellowship... Got some advice... I'm pretty nervous... anyway... I'm still processing this, but making it this far into the final 10 is an accomplishment enough.

Hope everyone heard great news too!!!

40 minutes ago, Swingin_Sween said:

Happy March everyone! This is a big month for a lot of us. Unfortunately, I think I am going to be waiting until mid-April =/

Yep, I'm in complete freak-out mode now. According to the google doc my country comes out with their grants around mid March, but it's been early March and it's been late March in the past as well. All I can do is wait (and compulsively refresh my email...)

On 2/28/2016 at 8:41 PM, sat0ri said:
35 minutes ago, cc2016sr2017 said:

Yep, I'm in complete freak-out mode now. According to the google doc my country comes out with their grants around mid March, but it's been early March and it's been late March in the past as well. All I can do is wait (and compulsively refresh my email...)

I'm definitely feeling that way too (I'm sure we all are)! I wish that we knew a date with a little more certainty. Not that it would alleviate all the stress by any means, but it would help a little to not have an "any minute" mindset! How is everyone passing the time? (Other than compulsive refresh haha)

3 hours ago, kfm said:

For me, at least, I'm working on a thesis for one of my majors. It's completely unrelated to the Fulbright, but it's a nice distraction. My only fear is that, if by some lucky chance I do get the Fulbright, I'm going to lose all motivation for it and just go into "senior spring" mode. I'm also just trying to spend time with my friends, because we're all going different places after graduation (each time one of them finds out about a job or grad school or other program it's a little punch to the gut, I'm so happy for them but I just want to know about my own plans!) so I want to be able to see them as much as possible. 

12 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

Happy March everyone! This is a big month for a lot of us. Unfortunately, I think I am going to be waiting until mid-April =/

Me too, Swingin_Sween! Last year the person who was accepted for my same award was notified April 29th... 29th....... ............

On February 23, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Mechka said:

Super long term lurker (since 2013), but finally have the courage to post. Haven't added myself to the spreadsheet though. 

First applied for a Bulgarian ETA for the 2013-2014 year, applying as a senior in college, and was a finalist but was ultimately not accepted. Graduated and worked for a few years before deciding to apply again, also for Bulgaria as an ETA. Moved through to the next round and recently had an interview. Because there is so much interest into the questions asked, I will try and list a few. Interview was quite laid back, lasting 15 minutes from start to finish. Was told that we will find out in the end of March. 

Questions:. Why Bulgaria? (In my case this was more why did I choose to study in Bulgaria while in college and learn Bulgarian formally). What do I anticipate will be the greatest difficulty in being there for a year? What do I want to do in terms of volunteer work outside of teaching? Would I feel more comfortable with a co-teacher or teaching independently? There were a few more questions, mostly ones that were highly specific, like questions about specific classes I took in college, so there is no way to really prepare for those (nor are they super helpful to post for you all, since you likely didn't take the same classes!)

With all that being said, best of luck everyone. For those applying as graduating seniors, remember if you don't get it, it's not the end of the world. Although I felt crushed when I found out that I wasn't selected in 2013, I realize now that it was really quite a good thing to happen. I learned a lot about myself over the past three years and I think I returned as a stronger candidate. 

I also was interviewed for the ETA in Bulgaria. My interview was a couple a weeks ago on the 19th. My questions were slightly different than yours, but still basic, predictable questions. 

Does anyone know where I can find the link to the past spreadsheets? They said in the interview, I would be notified around the end of March. I wanted to compare to past years, but I am new to gradcafe!

8 hours ago, AKB_gotigers said:

I also was interviewed for the ETA in Bulgaria. My interview was a couple a weeks ago on the 19th. My questions were slightly different than yours, but still basic, predictable questions. 

Does anyone know where I can find the link to the past spreadsheets? They said in the interview, I would be notified around the end of March. I wanted to compare to past years, but I am new to gradcafe!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=578086360

All of the previous years are in the tabs on the bottom! 

15 hours ago, busybee said:

Me too, Swingin_Sween! Last year the person who was accepted for my same award was notified April 29th... 29th....... ............

Phew! Waiting till April 29th is torturous! But I am right there with the two of you, last year we found out on April 16th.  But I am SO happy that it is March, I think that the time will pass more quickly than we think - fingers crossed, anyway!

@kfm The "any minute" mindset is so rough! I applied last year and, ultimately, was chosen as an alternate.  But I was a nervous wreck the entire waiting period, even though I had a ballpark idea of the time frame in which I would be notified - I refreshed my email constantly! I think that having gone through the process once already, I feel much more peaceful about it this time around.  

Part of the problem last year may have also been that I put all of my proverbial eggs into the Fulbright basket, like an insane person.  This year I have been accepted into my first choice grad program for the fall, so I have a backup plan that I am really excited about.  Right now, I am just trying to pass the time by throwing myself into my internship. I also made a book list challenge for myself, so I am staying busy even when I have down time.  This wait definitely teaches patience! One of the many benefits of the Fulbright application process.  

Last year, the first notifications came out on March 4th! I am really looking forward to the good news rolling in!

1 hour ago, Swingin_Sween said:

What is everybody's backup plan if they don't get the Fulbright?

I have a job offer and have been holding off on accepting it because the Fulbright is what I want the most. What about everyone else?

My backup is medical school. I've been accepted but in waiting to hear back from Fulbright so that I can tell my school if I will be starting the year after.

Edited by sairam94

3 minutes ago, MMati said:

Notified today!

I received the Fulbright to Iceland (joint with the Icelandic Ministry of Education and Culture). 

Yay!

Congratulations! That's so exciting :D

7 hours ago, MMati said:

Notified today!

I received the Fulbright to Iceland (joint with the Icelandic Ministry of Education and Culture). 

Yay!

Congratulations!! 

Now that someone has officially found out, it feels so real!

8 hours ago, MMati said:

Notified today!

Yay!

To join the chorus, congratulations! So exciting!

3 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

Not me, but my friend who applied to Portugal ETA heard back today so it seems that announcements have begun

That's great! Did your friend receive the grant?

Looking at the spreadsheet it seems really early for both Iceland and Portugal to notify, so that's really exciting.

14 hours ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

That's great! Did your friend receive the grant?

Looking at the spreadsheet it seems really early for both Iceland and Portugal to notify, so that's really exciting.

Yeah, it would be interesting to know if this is going to be a trend overall this year, or if Portugal and Iceland were just unusually fast.