Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

6 minutes ago, busybee said:

I also applied for both Fulbright and PhD programs. In my interview with Brown, I was told that it is unlikely I could defer.  

I'm in the same boat, too, regarding the deadlines. According to the spreadsheet, in past years finalists for my country have been notified in late April! I was emailed by an IIE program officer asking me for a copy of my passport, and when I asked him in the email about this, he told me unfortunately he had no way of knowing about the dates. I'm not quite sure what to do myself. 

Congrats on MIT! My department director told me that at the very least, I could write "Fulbright Fellowship 2016-2017- Declined" on my CV.

Yeah, I was told if I reapplied with a Fulbright I would definitely get into better programs simply because of the name recognition and prestige, so if one ends up not getting into their top choice, it may be worth accepting the Fulbright and reapplying. Though it is always lottery. 

@Busy Bee @Horb I was told today that I could not defer, and that the April 15 deadline was not flexible –– fair! So now I have to be prepared to make a decision, and while, yes, it does make sense that one could get into better schools after receiving a Fulbright, I already got into my top choice... waiting for the euphoria to wear off before I make any decisions. If it doesn't wear off, there's my decision!

20 minutes ago, BlueberryScone22 said:

@Busy Bee @Horb I was told today that I could not defer, and that the April 15 deadline was not flexible –– fair! So now I have to be prepared to make a decision, and while, yes, it does make sense that one could get into better schools after receiving a Fulbright, I already got into my top choice... waiting for the euphoria to wear off before I make any decisions. If it doesn't wear off, there's my decision!

CONGRATS!!! A great dilemma to have, but I understand how you feel! Hope it works out for you! Which Fulbright did you apply for btw? and what program for grad school (?) 
PS: we seem to be both in Cambridge =)

Looking for advice -- the Fulbright Study/Research award that I applied for is contingent upon being accepted into the partnering university. I just received notice that I got into the university, but they have asked for a yes/no by March 7th (and although technically possible, I doubt Fulbright decisions will be out before that date). I emailed them asking for an extension since I wouldn't be able to attend the degree program without the funding, but haven't heard back. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can do?

Thank you in advance!

18 hours ago, kfm said:

Looking for advice -- the Fulbright Study/Research award that I applied for is contingent upon being accepted into the partnering university. I just received notice that I got into the university, but they have asked for a yes/no by March 7th (and although technically possible, I doubt Fulbright decisions will be out before that date). I emailed them asking for an extension since I wouldn't be able to attend the degree program without the funding, but haven't heard back. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can do?

Thank you in advance!

I got accepted into my partnering university as well.  When I asked them what I should do they told me to accept the offer to save my spot there and that I could withdraw my acceptance later if the Fulbright didn't work out.  This is a UK school and I'm not sure if it will apply to your situation.  You could try emailing someone else there like the admissions office or someone in the program to get a more relevant response.  Does it say anywhere that accepting the offer is a firm or absolute?  

20 hours ago, BlueberryScone22 said:

I'm really happy for you that you got into your top choice school! That's amazing. I'm having more luck than I thought I would this graduate season. I've applied for PhD programs with five schools and have been contacted for interviews with three of them, rejected by one but will likely receive a funded offer for their master's program, and am waiting on the last one still. I'm not sure what my top choice school is anymore; I am visiting two schools within the next few weeks and I'm hoping this will help me figure everything out, although I have been in the States now for about two months and I am really hating it here and would love to get the hell out to my favorite region of the world via Fulbright! The graduate process is a remarkably liminal and painful one.

If you have to make the choice between your top choice school and a Fulbright that is an incredible choice to have to make! Congrats again!

2 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

I got accepted into my partnering university as well.  When I asked them what I should do they told me to accept the offer to save my spot there and that I could withdraw my acceptance later if the Fulbright didn't work out.  This is a UK school and I'm not sure if it will apply to your situation.  You could try emailing someone else there like the admissions office or someone in the program to get a more relevant response.  Does it say anywhere that accepting the offer is a firm or absolute?  

Thanks for your insight and sharing of personal experience. I guess that my best plan of action is to wait a little longer and see if they will extend the date and if not, do what you did. Thanks again!

On 2/23/2016 at 3:08 AM, sat0ri said:

Has anyone sent a follow-up email after their interview?

21 hours ago, Carterware said:

No, do you think that's a good idea? They are probably interviewing nearly 100 people...in our case at least

I'm on the fence about this since in the email I received about the interview the woman stated that she simply needed a brief confirmation that I wanted the interview and that in the interest of fairness she could not have a long conversation before the interview time.  A nice simple thank you email would probably not constitute an unfair advantage....I'm definitely going to ask my university's FPA about it.

BTW good luck tomorrow @sat0ri !

26 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

I'm on the fence about this since in the email I received about the interview the woman stated that she simply needed a brief confirmation that I wanted the interview and that in the interest of fairness she could not have a long conversation before the interview time.  A nice simple thank you email would probably not constitute an unfair advantage....I'm definitely going to ask my university's FPA about it.

BTW good luck tomorrow @sat0ri !

I asked my advisor about a thank you as well and he said that it wouldn't hurt. It is a fairly new process to have so many countries interview now, especially for ETA, so I kept my thank you fairly short. I think as long as you aren't using the thank you as a means to try and increase your chances (providing additional information, asking questions, etc), you should be okay!

On 2/12/2016 at 2:07 PM, sat0ri said:

@bgp5 Did you get any word yet? I looks like someone here was notified as late as 2/10, so really I guess you never know

I had a brief interview yesterday morning with the commission. I saw that you also received an invitation for an interview. Hope it went well! : ) 

On 2/23/2016 at 0:24 PM, busybee said:

I also applied for both Fulbright and PhD programs. In my interview with Brown, I was told that it is unlikely I could defer.  

I'm in the same boat, too, regarding the deadlines. According to the spreadsheet, in past years finalists for my country have been notified in late April! I was emailed by an IIE program officer asking me for a copy of my passport, and when I asked him in the email about this, he told me unfortunately he had no way of knowing about the dates. I'm not quite sure what to do myself. 

Congrats on MIT! My department director told me that at the very least, I could write "Fulbright Fellowship 2016-2017- Declined" on my CV.

I'm in the same boat with Brown! I figured that I'd wait for the grant results before bringing it up (my country typically notifies in mid-late March, and I'm visiting campus March 17-18th). I plan on accepting their offer either way, so maybe I should just mention it now. 

I had always said that I would turn down grad school for a Fulbright, but now I really don't think I'd be able to do so, with an offer from my top choice school in hand. Anyway, it's good to see other people in the same situation! Has anyone here been able to defer school for a Fulbright in the past?

On 2/19/2016 at 5:12 PM, Dilemma1 said:

I constantly check this page and the google sheet....which kind of helps lower the anxiety of the unknown.  For me I've had so much to do between internship applications, interviews with MA programs and work+school that I have mostly been kept pretty sane despite this strange limbo we find ourselves in.  I really want to know where I'll be next fall but everything is just up in the air! 

How have you been passing the time?

Where can I find the google sheet @Dilemma1?

23 minutes ago, 410627 said:

Where can I find the google sheet @Dilemma1?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=1893879233

@bgp5 @Dilemma1 Thank you for the well wishes! I hope we all get our spots in the UK!

9 hours ago, vvb said:

Semi-finalist for study UK grant. I haven't heard anything about an interview. Ok to fall into pits of despair now? I'm assuming since people got interviews like three weeks ago....and I didn't... :(

This is what I was sent by my FPA on campus:

To remind everyone, the selection process in the UK takes place from January to March, with some candidates called to interview in February. Not all IIE recommended candidates are interviewed and whether or not a candidate is called to interview does not mean they will be selected or not selected. Interviews in this context are simply intended as an additional information-gathering exercise in instances when the UK selection committee would like more detail from particular applicants. All candidates (principals, non-selects and alternates) will ultimately be notified by IIE, and all at the same time (likely in early March). 

Looking over the previous years though I'm not sure what the ratio of interviewed applicants and non-interviewed applicants are.  I wish I could be of more help or have a more definitive answer... you could always ask you campus FPA for their advice on the subject.

Edited by Dilemma1

5 hours ago, sairam94 said:

Does anyone know if Fulbright prefers people who have had experience in the country? I've never been to the country I'm applying to but have been very involved with the language in the U.S.

Actually it is the other way around. They do not want you to have too much experience in the country. However, at the same time you need a compelling reason for wanting to study in the host country (I imagine the language involvement you mention might be considered a compelling reason).

EDIT:

"For most programs, applicants who have had extensive previous foreign experience in the host country are at a competitive disadvantage, but are still eligible to apply."
Source (under the "Eligibility" tab; http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/eligibility)

Edited by sat0ri

11 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

To remind everyone, the selection process in the UK takes place from January to March, with some candidates called to interview in February. Not all IIE recommended candidates are interviewed and whether or not a candidate is called to interview does not mean they will be selected or not selected. Interviews in this context are simply intended as an additional information-gathering exercise in instances when the UK selection committee would like more detail from particular applicants. All candidates (principals, non-selects and alternates) will ultimately be notified by IIE, and all at the same time (likely in early March). 

Looking over the previous years though I'm not sure what the ratio of interviewed applicants and non-interviewed applicants are.  I wish I could be of more help or have a more definitive answer... you could always ask you campus FPA for their advice on the subject.

Thank you! I feel much better now. Although going through that moment of complete despair yesterday helped me come to terms with the fact that life will go on even if I don't get it (god forbid haha)

21 hours ago, emiliajulia said:

I'm in the same boat with Brown! I figured that I'd wait for the grant results before bringing it up (my country typically notifies in mid-late March, and I'm visiting campus March 17-18th). I plan on accepting their offer either way, so maybe I should just mention it now. 

I had always said that I would turn down grad school for a Fulbright, but now I really don't think I'd be able to do so, with an offer from my top choice school in hand. Anyway, it's good to see other people in the same situation! Has anyone here been able to defer school for a Fulbright in the past?

Happened to scroll past this out of a strange sense of nostalgia. I received a Fulbright last year and know of at least one person in my cohort who deferred admission to a PhD program for her Fulbright year. It obviously depends on the school, but it is possible. And for those of you potentially worried about the mess of those super short interviews--I'm not sure I knew a single person in their cohort who thought they didn't sound like a bumbling idiot. One person even hung up on them in the middle of the interview. Hang in there, and good luck all!

On 2/18/2016 at 11:41 PM, Dilemma1 said:

@chethedoctor I remember seeing your posts on last years thread!  Did you end up going to Leicester?  How are you liking the UK?

Hey I am really liking it here in the UK. I was initially applying to Leicester but during the process I changed my program and now I am in Aberystwyth. Are you applying to the same program as my friend Jason is in now?

Thanks everyone for the kind words! @emiliajulia I don't know how helpful/ pertinent this is for you, but they did tell me I could try enrolling and then taking a leave of absence as a policy workaround. They said it's hard to receive permission to take a leave, but that it was worth trying. Good luck!

16 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

I honestly think it depends on which partnership. My year, everyone for my specific award had interviews. But other schools didn't interview everyone. 

Argh, this is so annoying.

I already had asked my institution to send in an electronic version of my official transcript to this address:  fusptranscripts@fulbrightmail.org 

That email address came from the Resources website that we got in our notification email this past January.

But instead, just today, i got this message:

"This is a reminder to please arrange for your official transcript to be sent to IIE as soon as possible. The transcript must be the original, registrar generated transcript and in a sealed envelope when mailed in hard copy. Failure to submit in a timely manner may delay the notification of the next stage of your application in the Fulbright U.S. Student award process.

We are missing the following transcript(s):

BA degree granting/expected institution

If you have requested the transcript(s), you may want to check with the registrar to verify when they were sent.  Please allow at least 2-3 weeks for the transcripts to reach IIE and be processed.  Also, be sure that the transcripts are clearly addressed to:

US Student Programs
Institute of International Education
809 UN Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Please contact me if you have any questions."

I already asked her to check that email address and let me know. Has anyone else experienced this? This is frustrating and nerve-wracking!

Hi Wildchartermage,

I got the same email yesterday. I checked with my university and they had confirmed sending (via mail) it on Jan 17th. They are now resending it both through mail and the email you listed. It is pretty frustrating.

Good luck!

On 2/26/2016 at 9:32 AM, chethedoctor said:

Hey I am really liking it here in the UK. I was initially applying to Leicester but during the process I changed my program and now I am in Aberystwyth. Are you applying to the same program as my friend Jason is in now?

Yes actually I am!  I'm hoping to join the museum studies program at Leicester.  I've been accepted into the program and I had an interview yesterday with Fulbright.  Hopefully the interview went well and it will help me, I always second guess myself after interviews.  The wait is going to be the worst part.  What are you most enjoying about being in the UK?