Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

Because I can't be the only one who's started. 

Primarily I'm looking at MA programs due to language prep and lack of area experience, but I've got a longshot PhD program application as well (U Chicago). What about the rest of you?

It has begun! I was waiting for this thread. 

I've been compiling a google doc full of potential PhD programs when I need an escape from current coursework. It's proving to be more difficult than finding good fits for an MA program. Can't believe we'll be working on applications before too long.  :blink:

I might be joining you guys! (Although I’m having trouble deciding, so I just started a separate thread for advice.) If I do apply, I’m considering a mix of PhD (~1) and MA (2) applications. My two favorite professors work at universities in the UK and Canada, respectively, so I’d like to apply for the MA programs at their universities. I want to stay in/come back to the US for my PhD, as my field is much stronger here than in the UK or Canada—but before that, it would be so great if I got funding to spend a year or two studying with one of my favorite scholars!

Edited by knp

Semi-started on applications already - it's been much more tolerable to write essays than to study for the GRE. Even though I'm taking it in June, so, priorities!

So far the short list is three MAs - Indiana-Bloomington, U Glasgow, and possibly the Central European University, even though they seem sketchy on accreditation - and one PhD, U Chicago. I feel like it's too short of a list, since it seems like most people apply to 6-8.

Hi everybody. Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm planning to apply to Phd programs in modern European history with a focus on 19th century France, and I'm starting to look into programs and POIs now. Happy to share what I learn with anyone with similar interests, and of course open to any advice or direction from you all! Good luck everybody.

@knp - There was a point where I was trying to convince myself I wanted to do one topic over another, but ultimately, I did need to be honest with myself about what I was willing to go into debt and devote 10+ years of school for. That, ultimately, is memory of WWII in Eastern Europe, particularly looking at how women revolutionaries and resistance fighters are remembered and entered into pop culture. My (two and a half) bachelors theses were on the RAF in West Germany and modern portrayals of Ulrike Meinhof, but geographically, I'm more interested eastward. 

That said, I do have continued interest in Japanese/German post-war recovery and speculative fiction of the 50s and 60s, but these weren't enough to form either cohesive projects or to keep me motivated for the next few decades. 

@HeimatHistorian - I'm aware of that, and I don't plan to go anywhere that refuses to provide funding. That said, it's still something I feel I have to take into account (even if its a normal amount of credit card debt). History isn't an especially lucrative field, and Russia/Eastern Europe is a fading and unpopular area right now, so stipends aren't plentiful and traveling is expensive. 

@missmend As far as popularity goes, I think it depends on how you spin it as far as Russia/Eastern Europe.  There is still a lot of interesting work being done in that area.  I understand the debt thing too.  

Here's what I'm thinking so far. My interest is primarily southern women's history, but I'm also interested in issues of southern masculinity after the Civil War and the formation of southern identities throughout the twentieth century. 

I'm a rising senior at a small liberal arts university in and will graduate with honors. However, due to some poor marks in General Education classes, my current GPA is cresting at a 3.6. 

The schools I'm currently interested in are: 

1. The University of Georgia

2. The University of Mississippi

3. The University of Alabama 

4. The University of South Carolina 

5. The University of Kentucky

I've cited POIs throughout my thesis. 

Are there some major programs I'm missing (that I could get into with funding)? 

Is anyone interested in similar topics? 

Here's what I'm thinking so far. My interest is primarily southern women's history, but I'm also interested in issues of southern masculinity after the Civil War and the formation of southern identities throughout the twentieth century. 

I'm a rising senior at a small liberal arts university in and will graduate with honors. However, due to some poor marks in General Education classes, my current GPA is cresting at a 3.6. 

The schools I'm currently interested in are: 

1. The University of Georgia

2. The University of Mississippi

3. The University of Alabama 

4. The University of South Carolina 

5. The University of Kentucky

I've cited POIs throughout my thesis. 

Are there some major programs I'm missing (that I could get into with funding)? 

Is anyone interested in similar topics? 

In regards to funding, it depends if you mean by PhD or MA. 

With that being said, most, if not all doctorate programs provide funding. You should never ever ever ever go into a PhD program without funding.

And getting funding for an MA is rare, but it does happen at some programs. I was fortunate enough to have been awarded funding for two years at my MA program. 

By teach, do you envision yourself at an R1? A small regional college? Community college? Ivy League? Do you want to focus on teaching over research, research over teaching, or 50-50? These are the kinds of questions you need to consider before applying. 

By teach, do you envision yourself at an R1? A small regional college? Community college? Ivy League? Do you want to focus on teaching over research, research over teaching, or 50-50? These are the kinds of questions you need to consider before applying. 

I would like to do 50-50 at a small liberal arts college/university. 

Ok. So if you want to be a balanced 50-50 research and teaching you're not really looking at liberal arts colleges.  You're looking at Research universities.  With that in mind you need to consider schools that have a proven record of solid placement in those type of institutions.  There's a report floating around on the forums that lists the schools by rank from a study a few years back.  Look at that list and then dig in and do some research on those schools that have the type of adviser you want to work with and in a place you can live in for the next 5-7 years.  Then start making contact.  

I'm going to be real with you and say you should aim for the top 20, maybe even the top 10. A lot of the top tier programs place their grads at small liberal arts colleges, more so than programs lower ranked. I honestly wouldn't look at anything below 50. If you want to teach because you love it and don't care where you end up, then it doesn't matter as much--that's why I applied to a range of programs from 15-105, I simply want to teach at the college level.  

The less cynical side of me says to explore the placement records and placement locations of the programs you're currently looking at. If you can see yourself at any of the programs at which those departments are placing their students, then that's a good bet for you. You're going to have to do a lot of research--luckily historians are great at that!