Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

After a summer of hell and figuring this out, I'll be applying to Boston University, Boston College, University of Toronto, University of Chicago, Stony Brook, and Binghamton University. My aim is to study 20th Century German Economic History with subfields in nationalism, totalitarianism, and European diplomacy.

I just want to say the department at Binghamton is fabulous all around. All the professors I contacted were extremely helpful and open. I ended up declining their offer because for students entering with an MA they only give four years of funding and, even with an MA, I don't think a transnational project like mine could be finished in that timespan. However, they are very supportive of their grad students after they graduate and it seems like a collegial place.

I just want to say the department at Binghamton is fabulous all around. All the professors I contacted were extremely helpful and open. I ended up declining their offer because for students entering with an MA they only give four years of funding and, even with an MA, I don't think a transnational project like mine could be finished in that timespan. However, they are very supportive of their grad students after they graduate and it seems like a collegial place.

No one can finish ANY project in a span of four years. Even with an MA you have to take coursework for the first two years. 

Yeah, and I was also concerned that I would have to do comps 1.5 years into the program at Binghamton instead of having time to focus on comps after coursework is over in my 3rd year (which is the expected timeframe at Davis). I'm sure some people can do it, but I like the flexibility of having more time if I need it.

No one can finish ANY project in a span of four years. Even with an MA you have to take coursework for the first two years. 

Agreed.  I would not let that kind of fact to deter you.  In fact, that's an area where you can question the faculty and graduate students.  My program tends to offer 4 years of funding to students with MAs but we always tell them that there's usually a chance of getting fifth yera funding.  i don't know of any Americanist who finished in 4 years.  Our Americanists have finished in 5 years (with or without a MA) because we offer plenty of summer funding to help students finish.  Everyone else finishes in 6-8 years and get outside department funding to make that happen.

Professors are very aware that 4 years for people with MA is nearly impossible and the size of funding packages are usually out of their control.  They really do their best to support students to finish as long as the students are putting in the effort.

I agree, don't let it deter you. I happened to have offers with more years of funding at higher-ranked programs, and the promise of 6-7 year funding if needed, so it made sense for me to decline the offer. I got the impression that 4 years at Binghamton is a hard number for students entering with an MA, unless of course you get outside fellowships which everyone should apply for anyway! Regardless, the faculty there is stellar and if the your dream POI is there you should apply regardless of them offering 4 rather than 5 years. Also, students entering with a BA get 5 so that's good.

Wow. Like with the quality of UW-M students, I thought that they had to be one of the standard five year-funded programs. I'm like almost more impressed by their placements now.

I suspect their record of successful placements has something to do with the pressure to pick up TAships. Teaching experience is becoming more and more of a must-have on the job market.

Edited by thedig13

After an unsuccessful cycle a few years ago, I'm jumping back in this time around. In the time between cycles I worked for a year and I am wrapping up an MBA right now; and I will be applying to do economic history in the fall. I studied business and public policy in bschool and worked for the US Agency for International Development, so I am planning to research the links between US domestic policy and foreign policy. Aiming to apply at:

• UNC
  • UCLA
  • Georgetown
  • Harvard
  • Yale
  • Rice
  • UT Austin
  • Northwestern
  • Rutgers
  • Princeton
  • Stanford
  • Cal

Here's hoping that things go a little better this time around. :) 

Hey folks!

Like all of you, I will also be applying in this cycle.  I'm interested in French (and British) colonial history, especially in the South Pacific.  I'm considering applying to:

• Harvard
  • UNC-Chapel Hill
  • Columbia
  • Rutgers
  • Northeastern
  • Washington

My current research is about the Pacific 'mythology' that Europeans created about the Pacific at the end of the late 19th century.  My research has ranged from the voyages of Captains Wallis and Bougainville to shortly after the death of French painter, Paul Gauguin though I'm most interested in later imperial experiences and the advent of modernity.  I've been taking French for years now, and I'm doing two semesters of intermediate German this year, so I'm hoping that those language experiences will work in my favor.

I'm a little bit worried because I received my Associate's Degree at a community college before transferring to a university where I currently am.

Edited by Scaluni

sdelehan -- you might want to check out UCSB and Madison, too.

Scaluni -- Don't worry about getting an AA first. Frame your SOP in a way that discusses your unique journey and how it prepared you for a doctoral program.

I'm a little bit worried because I received my Associate's Degree at a community college before transferring to a university where I currently am.

I went to two community colleges over the course of....7 years and did not even get an AA out of it before transferring to finish my BA at a no-name state school. I got into a top 15 program...I wouldn't worry too much. I mentioned my time at CC in one sentence in my SOP.

I don't think earning an AA from a community college puts a smudge on your academic career. If anything, it helps. Community colleges are smaller, which allows you to become closer with your professors, unlike at a big 4-year university. I am still friends with my old community college professors today, and they have been wonderful at providing advice to help me guide my academic career. Every time I visit my home town I also stop by to visit my old community college. Do top name schools discriminate against those who have attended community colleges? 

I don't think earning an AA from a community college puts a smudge on your academic career. If anything, it helps. Community colleges are smaller, which allows you to become closer with your professors, unlike at a big 4-year university. I am still friends with my old community college professors today, and they have been wonderful at providing advice to help me guide my academic career. Every time I visit my home town I also stop by to visit my old community college. Do top name schools discriminate against those who have attended community colleges? 

According to Deadwing's post, it appears that they don't discriminate.  In any case, I don't have close relationships with any of the faculty there because I just went to class and left.  Another problem with this is that I don't feel like I have really close relationships with many of my professors as I've only been at my current university for a year now.  I have two profs that I can definitely ask for LoRs, and I have a few other third-choices but they would have sub-par LoRs as they don't know me as well as the other two.

look on the bright side: these people retiring means more space for the next generation! It'll ultimately be good when hiring comes round for y'all :)

Sticking to my advice: Always have Plans B and C.  And start reading Chronicle of Higher Education and Inside Higher Ed to give you a more realistic view of the overall job market.

Hello! 

I have my Master's in American History with a focus on late 19th-early 20th century women's history, and plan to apply to PhD programs this year. My (tentative) short list looks like: 

- NYU (I have a background in museum work, so am particularly interested in their public history program.)

- Rutgers (Virginia Yans)

- Columbia (Stephanie McCurry, AKS)

- UPenn (Kathy Peiss)

- CUNY (Harriet Alonso)

I'm specifically interested in social and cultural history, and did my MA on issues of female identity surrounding adulthood and marriage. Any other programs people know of that fit the bill? Also would love to hear perspectives on Public History vs. History PhDs... 

Happy to be here to commiserate and get some good advice.

Edited by Whistful

Hi guys.  I'm planning on applying to programs this fall. I have a relatively low GPA (3.6-3.7 range, curse you core curriculum), but a good major GPA (3.9-4.0 range) and a number of academic accomplishments, including my (top ranking) department's prize for best thesis as well as a number of other thesis awards and competition prizes. Do these academic awards and my major GPA help mitigate or cancel out my low GPA? If this were law admissions, the answer would be a clear and obvious "no," but surely PhD applications are less number driven.

Hi guys.  I'm planning on applying to programs this fall. I have a relatively low GPA (3.6-3.7 range, curse you core curriculum), but a good major GPA (3.9-4.0 range) and a number of academic accomplishments, including my (top ranking) department's prize for best thesis as well as a number of other thesis awards and competition prizes. Do these academic awards and my major GPA help mitigate or cancel out my low GPA? If this were law admissions, the answer would be a clear and obvious "no," but surely PhD applications are less number driven.

From what I've read, it seems that GPA won't get you into graduate school but it can keep you out.  That being said, your GPA seems like it is perfectly fine, just make sure that you capitalize on your research experience in your personal statement, as that's the most important part of your application.