Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

I'd almost say your quant score matters less for top schools than for lower-ranked programs or ones with less funding. Some programs use GRE scores to determine funding so they have a specific threshold you need to meet. Usually this is because some funds come from the university--basically, the university sets the threshold, the department wants to fund as many people as possible and can't do so through their own funds so they look for higher scores that'll meet the university's requirement. I know UCSB wanted an average of 85th percentile (I think of all your scores combined). OSU also encouraged me to up my quant scores for funding purposes, but didn't have a specific score to aim for.

Yeah, the higher grade funding packages from state schools are very much based on numbers. One of the reasons I didn't end up going to OSU is that my cumulative undergraduate GPA (3.06) disqualified me from university-wide fellowship funding, and I was only offered a smaller TA funding package.

Thank you all for your replies. I am just paranoid that having such a low Quant score would make the admissions committee think negatively of my application or, worse, preclude me from getting funding if I win a place. Does anyone know how the cutoffs work? Are they done by individual scores or amalgamated ones?

Would anyone advise a retake? Although I do not want to spend so much extra money just to increase my Quant score a few more points.

Also, is my verbal score high enough for top programmes? The last thing I want is my application to get thrown out because my GRE scores were not sufficient to meet the baseline!

Edited by MrMomo

Thank you all for your replies. I am just paranoid that having such a low Quant score would make the admissions committee think negatively of my application or, worse, preclude me from getting funding if I win a place. Does anyone know how the cutoffs work? Are they done by individual scores or amalgamated ones?

The thing about grad applications is that it's a total black box. I also applied to Ohio State with good, but not amazing, GRE scores (165V 151Q 6AW), but somehow I ended up with a university-wide fellowship. So you have no way of knowing how things shake out. I spent a lot of time (and I do mean a lot of time) stressing about the GRE and when it came down to it, nobody even said two words to me about whether my scores were good, not good, impressive, not impressive, etc. Your scores sound fine, but if you're worried, retake it for the peace of mind. 

The last thing I'll say is that allocations of funding differ from school to school. As we've seen, OSU does not offer the same funding to everyone - some people pick up fellowships and others get TA funding. But at my current school (also a state school) the funding package is identical for everyone. So if you were admitted there, you'd automatically have funding regardless of what your GRE scores were. 

You should first check with the school. In some places untenured profs can't be primary advisers. Also, are we talking about NTT or just TT in the tenure process?

They are TT and can be advisers. It's more of a concern on my part that, on the off chance they are denied tenure, I'd be in major trouble.

I'd seriously suggest having at least one senior faculty you want to work with because they're also more likely to have networks that will help you with job placement down the road and (usually) less likely to bounce upon attaining tenure. It is of course possible that all your junior faculty folks become legends in the field during your five years there, but it feels like an unnecessary risk (not knowing your fields of course.)  

I'm in Early America. It's two programs I'm looking at, each with an assistant professor who I think could be good to work with. They are both in their third year. It seems the majority of professors from these institutions receive tenure, and both of them have done a fair amount of publishing so I think it's unlikely they'd be denied tenure. Neither of these programs would be my first choice, but the professors seem to "fit" rather well (though neither program has a more senior faculty member in the field) with my research project, and its the concern over tenure that's making me question applying. 

I'm in modern Chinese history. Currently doing my last year of MA in China, targeting schools:  Yale, Penn, Chicago, Duke, etc.

My current GRE score is 158V 163Q 5.5AW. Do you guys think if I need to take it again? Thanks guys!

The thing about grad applications is that it's a total black box. I also applied to Ohio State with good, but not amazing, GRE scores (165V 151Q 6AW), but somehow I ended up with a university-wide fellowship. So you have no way of knowing how things shake out. I spent a lot of time (and I do mean a lot of time) stressing about the GRE and when it came down to it, nobody even said two words to me about whether my scores were good, not good, impressive, not impressive, etc. Your scores sound fine, but if you're worried, retake it for the peace of mind. 

The last thing I'll say is that allocations of funding differ from school to school. As we've seen, OSU does not offer the same funding to everyone - some people pick up fellowships and others get TA funding. But at my current school (also a state school) the funding package is identical for everyone. So if you were admitted there, you'd automatically have funding regardless of what your GRE scores were. 

Your GRE scores are great! Do you think if I need to take it again? It's my biggest concern right now as I'm running out of time! I have 158V 163Q and 5.5AW.  And I'm targeting schools like Yale, Penn, Chicago, and Duke.

Seriously, stop fretting about the GRE scores.  They do not necessarily make or break an application.  Drop the study guides and focus on your writing samples and statement of purpose.  Professors will be reading for your potential to succeed in the program from those documents.

The GRE scores are sometimes used for university-wide fellowship competition but there are waivers.  Just relax and focus on other parts of your application.

Hello everyone! I've been hanging out in Interdisciplinary Studies but it's sort of dead, so I figured I'd move on over here.

Americanist here, with particular interests in cultural/public memory of the Revolution in the 19th century. Sort of a tiny area, but luckily in American Studies programs I can combine lots of types of materials and resources.

Finishing up my (funded!) MA in AMS at Alabama this semester, so if anyone has questions about that feel free to ask. Applying to AMS PhD programs at BU, Brown, Harvard, William & Mary, and Yale for Fall 2016.

#RollTide I've heard nothing but good things about the department and cohort in AMS at Brown. If you have any specific questions I have a couple good friends from undergrad I can try asking.

I have narrowed my list: Brown, BC, UVA, UPenn, and UPitt. (I'm not fretting at all/content/am aware they're not that big of a deal but-150Q 165V 5.5W).

Just finishing up my SOP and writing sample (a published piece). Looking to study early Atlantic World, capitalism/class "from below."

As I'm applying this cycle, I figured it was finally time to de-lurk.

I'm interested in Roman history, specifically the ideology of the emperors. I already posted something like this in the Classics forum, but as I am on the borderline of classics/history and have been obsessively reading these threads, I wanted to introduce myself over here too.

I am planning to apply to Austin (Classics), Berkeley (Ancient History and Mediterranean Archaeology), Chapel Hill (Classics), Columbia (Classical Studies), Harvard (Classics), Michigan (undecided whether Classical Studies or the Interdepartmental Program in Greek and Roman History), Princeton (Classics), and Toronto (Collaborative Program in Ancient History with York), and Yale (Classics). On top of that I should probably apply to some MA programs in case these don't pan out, but I haven't yet had the chance to put together a good list for those. Of course, some of those schools have pretty different emphases in their department. I feel like my interests are more focused on a problem/methodology (legitimacy and self-presentation) rather than a specific bit of Roman history, so I'm willing to move a bit forward or backward in chronology depending on where I am applying, even if targeting the applications like that feels a bit strange. 

Hi guys! 

I've already introduced myself in another topic but I figured I would do so here as well! I'm applying this cycle and plan to focus on the Economic History of the Early Catholic Church with particular focus on the "Cult of the Saints". I'm also interested in working on the interaction between Early Christianity and Pagan beliefs during this time period.

It's been particularly hard to find people who specialize in the Economic History portion of the Early Middle Ages, but right now I'm planning on applying to U Penn, Columbia, Yale, UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill, Northwestern, Berkeley, U Michigan and Princeton. If there are any programs I have missed please let me know! I've decided to switch fields (currently getting my MA in Economics at UT) later in the game than I would have liked to so I'm scrambling to put all my application materials together! 

Edited by DGrayson

I mean, you kind of missed Harvard with Mike McCormick. Origins of the European Economy, MacArthur Genius, and all that. Less obvious is Jonathan Conant at Brown. 

Who are you thinking of working with at Yale?

Edited by telkanuru

I mean, you kind of missed Harvard with Mike McCormick. Origins of the European Economy, MacArthur Genius, and all that. Less obvious is Jonathan Conant at Brown. 

Who are you thinking of working with at Yale?

I really like Mike McCormick, but when I emailed him he listed his current research projects and non of them are really of any interest to me. I'm still in contact with him though. 

I like both Paul Freedman and Andrew Winroth at Yale. 

I still need to email Jonathan Conant to see what he thinks of my research interests, but his CV is open on one of my many browser windows. 

Thanks for the quick response!! 

I really like Mike McCormick, but when I emailed him he listed his current research projects and non of them are really of any interest to me. I'm still in contact with him though. 

I like both Paul Freedman and Andrew Winroth at Yale. 

I still need to email Jonathan Conant to see what he thinks of my research interests, but his CV is open on one of my many browser windows. 

Thanks for the quick response!! 

Yeah, he's moved towards environmental history recently (and SCIENCE! - see "maps" in my sig), but I think he'd still happily advise a student going the economic route if he or she had really interesting ideas.

Based on what you gave as your interests, neither Freedman nor Winroth seemed particularly good fits, and all of the Yalies that do Early Medieval tend to stick to Insular stuff.

FWIW, Conant will be on sabbatical next year and thus may not have as active a participation in the selection process as he might otherwise, but on the other hand he doesn't really have any graduate students (being only recently tenured), so the Council of Doom might push some his way.

Edited by telkanuru