2016 Canadian SLP Thread

On April 7, 2016 at 3:32 PM, speechteach said:

This thread has been so helpful! I'm returning to University after 5 years as a kindergarten teacher, so I'm taking a year of prerequisites this fall/winter and will be applying to U of A for 2017. 

Has anyone been accepted pending the completion of their prerequisites? I will have 3 left in the winter semester. Thanks!

Hi speechteach!

I am not done my prereqs for Toronto and so my acceptance there is conditional that I complete the one class before schools starts. It doesn't matter because I have declined there but still helpful to know that you can't even get away with have 1 incomplete prereq. I have also heard a few times that having your prereqs in progress for U of A can actually hurt your application enough for them to decline you entirely. The schools in Ontario don't seem to care as much but just want you to make sure you finish them before the program starts. I know it is probably not possible, but I would try and get all your prereqs done for U of A before you apply or, if you have to take prereqs next winter, maybe apply elsewhere in the country just in case U of A doesn't work out :(

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by J Mack

Thank you J Mack! Relocating isn't an option for me unfortunately. I will be completing all of my pre-requisites at the U of A as well. I'm crossing my fingers that there are exceptions to the rule! If not, I'll have to apply again the following year. I won't be able to finish them all (7) in one semester, so I'll have to apply with a couple pending. Thanks again for your feedback!

2 hours ago, speechteach said:

Thank you J Mack! Relocating isn't an option for me unfortunately. I will be completing all of my pre-requisites at the U of A as well. I'm crossing my fingers that there are exceptions to the rule! If not, I'll have to apply again the following year. I won't be able to finish them all (7) in one semester, so I'll have to apply with a couple pending. Thanks again for your feedback!

Hey there,

Having 3 courses in progress is a lot so it's hard to say whether that would work against you.
However, I was accepted to the U of A before I had completed my final prerequisite course so it's not true that they turn applicants away based solely on that.

Good luck! 

Edited by kelseymg

On April 7, 2016 at 2:32 PM, speechteach said:

This thread has been so helpful! I'm returning to University after 5 years as a kindergarten teacher, so I'm taking a year of prerequisites this fall/winter and will be applying to U of A for 2017. 

Has anyone been accepted pending the completion of their prerequisites? I will have 3 left in the winter semester. Thanks!

I wasn't accepted, and I know that in my rejection letter they said:

Completeness of the application also was a factor in selection.  Applicants who had multiple prerequisites in progress were disadvantaged when compared to those with completed preparatory coursework. When preparatory courses have been completed, the Admissions Committee can be more confident that the applicant has the basic knowledge necessary to succeed in our challenging training program.

3 hours ago, speechteach said:

No problem! I hope things work out for you :) Hopefully, there are exceptions!

Is it possible to take any prereqs this spring/summer? Maybe that way, you could have less in progress next Winter...? In terms of waiting an extra year, the silver lining is getting to pace out your prereqs and, at least in my case, get better grades. Also, the GRE sucks a big one and although many people do, I didn't study for it on top of a full course load, and I was thankful for that. 

Good luck!

Edited by J Mack

8 hours ago, J Mack said:

No problem! I hope things work out for you :) Hopefully, there are exceptions!

Is it possible to take any prereqs this spring/summer? Maybe that way, you could have less in progress next Winter...? In terms of waiting an extra year, the silver lining is getting to pace out your prereqs and, at least in my case, get better grades. Also, the GRE sucks a big one and although many people do, I didn't study for it on top of a full course load, and I was thankful for that. 

Good luck!

I am taking one this spring, and then 3 each semester. I want to ace them to keep my application competitive and I'm a mom of a 1 and 3 year old so I'm spreading them out. I guess given the option, having a year off in between is better for me than not getting the grades I'll need. Thank you for the well wishes! 

Masumasuda - were you accepted anywhere or are you trying again next year? 

2 hours ago, speechteach said:

Masumasuda - were you accepted anywhere or are you trying again next year? 

Oh sorry, that was my rejection letter from last year.

So far this year I haven't been accepted anywhere, so I'm going to see if UBC or U of A has any suggestions on how I can improve my application. If there isn't anything I can do, I'll probably apply to Australia or something...

On 9 April, 2016 at 0:19 PM, sfnslp said:

I spoke to Janet a few days ago and she cleared up a lot of things for me. There are no Saturday classes. There are only 2 placements at the same time as classes, but they would be on days when our course load is lighter and there are only 2 hours a week for 10 weeks. Both of those placements will also be at the in-house clinic - though the 2nd one may be elsewhere in London.

Well... I'm not looking forward to going to UofT as I did my undergrad there AND I'm from Toronto. Going to UofT would mean a 40-50min commute for me (one way). The TTC is super unreliable and there's always something wrong, especially during rush hour. After 1st semester, I'd have 9am classes and it's going to be a mission to commute with all the delays and emergency alarm activation. I also don't love the atmosphere at UofT. It's a commuter school and you have to make an extra effort to feel a part of things. I don't want to relive that again. Plus, the class size is bigger at UofT. There's also no cadaver for physio and anatomy. Lastly, the catchment area is HUGE and 1 of my 4 placements will probably be in the fancy and prestigious downtown hospitals. If I get a placement in the edges of the catchment area, then I'd have to rent a place there and that would be a waste of money.

Don't get me wrong though! UofT is an amazing school, with an international reputation. If I end up going there, I know I'll be in good hands and surrounded by amazing profs and students. I'm just having some personal dilemmas as mentioned above.

Thank you for your thoughts! I think you definitely brought up some points to consider.

I'm also having my own personal dilemmas, but I think you're right. There's really no 'wrong' choice.

On Tuesday, April 05, 2016 at 7:57 PM, SLP_a said:

Hey there! I confirmed my acceptance for Western too! I'm so excited for September!

I'm from Toronto and I don't know very much about London (except that the Western campus is beautiful!). Do you have any advice on housing? Do you have any tips about Western or London?

There are 2 grad residences on campus - London Hall is newer and closer to where SLP will be. It is quite pricey though (over a grand a month for a 1 bedroom for ex). You can find 1 bedroom apartments in London for cheaper than the grad residences are.

London is a great city - I loved being there during my undergrad. There is always so much to do and, of course, the campus is always live and gorgeous. Where our SLP courses will be, the gym is right across the street, which is perfect for those of us like are into fitness and like to stay active.

Where our classes are is still considered campus, but it is a little bit off of main campus (but conveniently, we are extremely close to all the good stuff). Our building is also right across the street from Weldon (the main library on campus, which is huge - and in my opinion, it's a better library than Taylor, which is further into main campus). The SLP building is also right near the UCC (University Community Centre), which has a ton of eatery chains inside it, a grocery store, an apparel store, pharmacy, travel centre, photo lab, atm's, etc etc. There is also a campus pub, as well as a campus restaurant, in the UCC. Both are great.

Basically, we are in a great area. Exciting!

For those who accepted Western, how long did it take for your Student Center to change from the green check-mark (offered admission) to the green circle (accepted offer)? I accepted last Friday but mine hasn't changed...I got my confirmation number from orpas though.... 

5 minutes ago, SpeechBubble said:

For those who accepted Western, how long did it take for your Student Center to change from the green check-mark (offered admission) to the green circle (accepted offer)? I accepted last Friday but mine hasn't changed...I got my confirmation number from orpas though.... 

I just checked and mine has changed to the green circle. I think I accepted a week ago? Not sure when it changed though.

Has anyone not accepted their offer yet?  I am planning on accepting morning of Friday the 15th. I am not sure if thats too risky though, but I have some personal stuff I have to look at before deciding which school to attend and I don't think I will know till Friday. 

6 hours ago, SLP_2016 said:

Has anyone not accepted their offer yet?  I am planning on accepting morning of Friday the 15th. I am not sure if thats too risky though, but I have some personal stuff I have to look at before deciding which school to attend and I don't think I will know till Friday. 

I didn't accept yet either and need to give my decision by Friday! I will decide on Friday too. I'm hesitating between SLP and audiology, but I'm leaning more towards SLP. I have shadowing tomorrow (and I had today also), and I'm hoping it will just confirm my choice for SLP! I don't think you need to worry about accepting your offer on the last day. (I'm doing the same so...!)

2 hours ago, Mirage112 said:

I didn't accept yet either and need to give my decision by Friday! I will decide on Friday too. I'm hesitating between SLP and audiology, but I'm leaning more towards SLP. I have shadowing tomorrow (and I had today also), and I'm hoping it will just confirm my choice for SLP! I don't think you need to worry about accepting your offer on the last day. (I'm doing the same so...!)

Okay I hope so! I think we have till midnight so if we accept the morning or afternoon of, I think we should be fine! Just a little paranoid haha 

8 hours ago, SLP_2016 said:

I haven't accepted my offer yet. I was actually going to double check:

For Western, we just accept through the SAM tool in ORPAS

For Toronto, we accept through both the SAM tool in ORPAS and emailing the completed form to the slp department

Right?

I saw on ORPAS the deadline to accept is 11:59 p.m. on Friday. I'm obviously not going to wait this late to accept but I am just wanting to make sure this is right for sending the letter into Toronto as well. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, RO_SLP said:

I haven't accepted my offer yet. I was actually going to double check:

For Western, we just accept through the SAM tool in ORPAS

For Toronto, we accept through both the SAM tool in ORPAS and emailing the completed form to the slp department

Right?

I saw on ORPAS the deadline to accept is 11:59 p.m. on Friday. I'm obviously not going to wait this late to accept but I am just wanting to make sure this is right for sending the letter into Toronto as well. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

Yup, this is right!

I have officially accepted at University of Toronto, so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone at Western soon! I wonder how soon after the 15th they will send wait listed acceptances. Does anyone have any idea?

13 hours ago, ssymslp said:

There are 2 grad residences on campus - London Hall is newer and closer to where SLP will be. It is quite pricey though (over a grand a month for a 1 bedroom for ex). You can find 1 bedroom apartments in London for cheaper than the grad residences are.

London is a great city - I loved being there during my undergrad. There is always so much to do and, of course, the campus is always live and gorgeous. Where our SLP courses will be, the gym is right across the street, which is perfect for those of us like are into fitness and like to stay active.

Where our classes are is still considered campus, but it is a little bit off of main campus (but conveniently, we are extremely close to all the good stuff). Our building is also right across the street from Weldon (the main library on campus, which is huge - and in my opinion, it's a better library than Taylor, which is further into main campus). The SLP building is also right near the UCC (University Community Centre), which has a ton of eatery chains inside it, a grocery store, an apparel store, pharmacy, travel centre, photo lab, atm's, etc etc. There is also a campus pub, as well as a campus restaurant, in the UCC. Both are great.

Basically, we are in a great area. Exciting!

Thank you so much for all of this information! This is so so helpful. It gives me a better picture of campus and makes me so excited for September!

It really seems like we are perfectly situated on campus. It's definitely a huge advantage to be so close to the library, gym, food and the student centre!

14 hours ago, mogibear said:

I have officially accepted at University of Toronto, so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone at Western soon! I wonder how soon after the 15th they will send wait listed acceptances. Does anyone have any idea?

I looked at last year's thread and it looks like it's about 2 weeks after the 15th.