Wasn't Notified of Admission Decision by Guaranteed Date, Now What?

Gjh281

First time posting up here.. I applied to UCLA's Mech and Aerospace Engineering Masters for Fall of 2015. According to the site ( http://www.mae.ucla.edu/academics/admissions/graduate-admissions/deadlines) applicants are guaranteed admission by April 1. I received no online or email notification as of April 2. This is the second term the school has failed to notify me about my application. TBH, I'm skeptical if they are even evaluating my application. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what did the school (UCLA or not) do? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I suggest you give them a call. Sometimes application decisions just fall through the cracks or they're possibly going to send it out today. It's close enough to the decision date (April 15th) that you shouldn't feel bad asking for a definitive answer.

You said applicants are guaranteed "admission" by April 1, which leads me to think that line applies only to acceptance offers. No such guarantee exists for rejections or wait list spots.

Good catch! That should have read guaranteed admission decision rather than guaranteed admission.

sublimePZ I took your advice to contact the school. I went to campus today and spoke with the department. I was told my application is still under review, along with a few other applicants. The committee has been wavering with the last remaining decisions. The individual I spoke with was extremely helpful, prepared notes for the committee and informed me it should be sometime next week. I am by no means a conventional applicant so I found this to be tremendously beneficial.

It seemed effective and, who knows, it may be what sways their decision in my favor. For now though it's back to the very familiar waiting game :)

Okay so I have a very "dumb" question because I am brand spanking new to this forum and whole grad school applying thing (My first grad school I went to gave me a decision in like 20 minutes, they put me on hold over the phone).

April 15th is mandatory decision day for ALL colleges? So I should hear back from the other schools that I have applied to by next Wednesday?

The "April 15th" agreement that people commonly refer to can be read in full here: http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Rev2015.pdf.

A few things to note:

1. This is a formal but non-binding agreement between graduate schools listed in the document. There are no penalties for not following the resolution they agreed to.

2. This is an agreement between the "Graduate School" at each of these schools. If your program is not administered by the Graduate School (e.g some professional masters programs, such as MBA, MSW, MPH, etc. are administered by different groups on campus) then your program might not be part of this resolution.

3. This is an agreement regarding financial offers only, not admission offer. In most funded PhD programs, financial and admission offers come together, but it is possible for them to be separate. The April 15 deadline is the earliest deadline a school adhering to this resolution may set for applicants to accept a TA offer, a RA offer, or other financial offers.

4. And finally, you might find that a lot of programs that did not sign up for this Resolution will follow the April 15 schedule anyways, for convenience of everyone :)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use