MA/PhD vs. PsyD

Jimothy

I'm looking to obtain a doctorate degree in clinical psychology, and my decision now is essentially narrowed down to two programs. The first of which is the general psychology MA program at The New School; upon completion of the MA, I can apply to the clinical PhD program, which has a fairly high acceptance rate. My other option is a clinical PsyD program at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology. Each school has its own appeal:

The New School

-Closer to home

-PhD program receives funding (much better financial decision)

-PhD may broaden my career options later on, as opposed to a PsyD

MSPP

-Less risk, since I'm already admitted to the program

-Concentrations available (such as in forensic psychology)

Both programs are fully accredited. Does there seem to be a right and wrong decision here?

As rising_star pointed out, there will be a lot of debt going that route. Before I give you any advice, or recommendations, I was wondering about what you would like to do, and have you been able to work in the mental health field yet?

As rising_star pointed out, there will be a lot of debt going that route. Before I give you any advice, or recommendations, I was wondering about what you would like to do, and have you been able to work in the mental health field yet?

I haven't been able to work directly in the field so far. The closest thing that I've done is a mentoring program where I spent one-on-one time with a child who had been diagnosed with ADHD and Asperger's syndrome. As of now I still think what I'd like to do most is work directly in the field, but I've been gaining interest in working and possibly teaching in a university setting, which is one of the reasons why The New School sounds more appealing now.

You may want to examine more options before you narrow your choices so distinctly. Only two schools seems awfully narrow, and doesn't give you many choices. Education is great. However, you don't want to specialize in something later on that you realize is completely wrong for you. A general M.A. can get you into a better academic standard for your PhD, but it won't give you that hands-on experience either.  

I suggest a few resources to consider:

A PT direct care job: TSS work, rehabilitation counselor, direct care worker, etc. 

• Benefits include counseling experience, resume building, awareness of interests, possible tuition reimbursement, money in the pocket
  • These jobs can also be flexible and incorporated into your schedule as you complete the M.A. degree. 

Looking into if the New School can get you a Graduate Assistantship- especially in the psychology department. 

• Benefits include teaching and lines you up to complete your own interest if you take advantage, awareness of interests, possible tuition remission
  • 20 hours a week, typically

If you do these both jointly, they can help you out with building your credentials and figuring out your career path. However, they will not stop you from adding on a ton of debt. Keep that figure in mind, and what will be realistic for you down the road. 

Edited by psychkita