How Important is my TOEFL Score in Application?

gel123

Hello, everyone,

I wondered how important is my TOEFL score during the application. Should I just reach the minimum score (such as 90 in many schools) proposed by graduate school or try to get as high a score as possible? Thanks in advance!   

Why would you not try to get as high a score as possible?  It's already more difficult to get in as an international.  Do anything possible to make your application stand out. 

Edited by geographyrocks

Hello, everyone,

I wondered how important is my TOEFL score during the application. Should I just reach the minimum score (such as 90 in many schools) proposed by graduate school or try to get as high a score as possible? Thanks in advance!   

From what I know and noticed, you only need to pass the minimum score.

If getting a higher score won t require too much work for you then go for it; otherwise I d say focus on the more meaningful sections as ideas are what matters and Profs know that once you arrive your English will improve exponentially.

I am an international student. I would say you should study to get the best score you can, just because you will discover programs that ask for high scores, especially in the speaking section, and you don't want that stupid exam to limit your options. For example, PennState asks for a ridiculously high score, and they say you shouldn't apply there if you don't have it. You should especially study for the speaking section, because it is the most stupidly difficult and the most important to be eligible as a TA. Having said that, the TOEFL is not really important in your overall application, with a score of at least 100 and a good speaking score (27 or 28 would be ideal) you're all set.

I am an international student. I would say you should study to get the best score you can, just because you will discover programs that ask for high scores, especially in the speaking section, and you don't want that stupid exam to limit your options. For example, PennState asks for a ridiculously high score, and they say you shouldn't apply there if you don't have it. You should especially study for the speaking section, because it is the most stupidly difficult and the most important to be eligible as a TA. Having said that, the TOEFL is not really important in your overall application, with a score of at least 100 and a good speaking score (27 or 28 would be ideal) you're all set.

This is the best advice.

Edited by geographyrocks

Thank you all for your kindness. Actually now I have a score of 103, but only have 23 in speaking section. :(  Is it necessary for me to retake it again? :unsure:

You should check what is the score the programs you want to apply to ask for, and you could eventually email someone in the departments that require a high score to ask if that score would harm your chances. If I were you, I would maybe retake it and only study for the speaking section, but I would do that as long as I made sure that the most important parts of my application (writing sample and sop) are solid before devoting time and effort to retake the TOEFL.

but I would do that as long as I made sure that the most important parts of my application (writing sample and sop) are solid before devoting time and effort to retake the TOEFL.

This.