Which schools give a significant amount of funding and to more than two applicants (scholarships, fellowships, departmental graduate assistanships)?

Looking for out-of-state schools that offer in-state tution for out-of-state students and/or provide excellent funding opportunities that are more than 5,000 a year through either scholarships, assistantships or fellowships?

Help me :)

I was offered $28,000 total by Emerson and ~$60,000 total by MGH, making their total prices ~30k and ~20k total respectively.

Both offer opportunities for work-study type employment (either research or other work) for a few hours a week as well.

Georgia State in Atlanta GA offers GAs with tuition waived to anyone who is willing to work. Hard to manage sometimes, but always an option there.

Edit: GAs are graduate assistantships.

Edited by upandup

Do you mean that the entire program for Emerson ended up costing 20k then?? Not bad at all....what kinds of funding did you receive?

Of course, living there means cost of living in Boston, too :P

I was offered $28,000 total by Emerson and ~$60,000 total by MGH, making their total prices ~30k and ~20k total respectively.

Both offer opportunities for work-study type employment (either research or other work) for a few hours a week as well.

neucool, did Emerson offer you something additional on top of that? I thought the overall cost was somewhere around 65K-70K ($1197/credit for 54 credits plus fees). Just wanted to make sure I didn't get the cost estimate totally wrong since I used that to make my decision.  :P

Do you have any reccomendations for schools with funding on the East Coast?

On the East Coast, I received funding from JMU (GA position and tuition remission) and Radford (GA position). I also received a GA position from Loyola, but it was not enough to offset any major costs. West Chester also provides 8-10 students funding through GA positions for 10 hours per week in the department, but they do not notify you until after you would accept your offer of admission. You can also seek GA positions elsewhere at West Chester if not awarded one in the department.

neucool, did Emerson offer you something additional on top of that? I thought the overall cost was somewhere around 65K-70K ($1197/credit for 54 credits plus fees). Just wanted to make sure I didn't get the cost estimate totally wrong since I used that to make my decision.  :P

No I think probably just did it at a different time- I actually calculated based on this years credit cost (I hadn't seen the new ones) assuming that both schools I was comparing would raise their per unit costs and just knowing that it would be a few thousand more. So, my original total was 61k, giving me a cost of 33k- now it'll be a bout 3000 higher. But then, with work-study monies going towards tuition, it'll be about 30k in loans for tuition I suppose.

And Kate- yep, cost of living in Boston is ridiculous, so that's something else to keep in mind when figuring out aid, lol. I'm sure I'll end up with more total loans than someone who got no aid in certain places. COL is an important factor.

• 10 months later...

I just interviewed at Miami University of Ohio, and about 50% of the grad students there have some sort of assistantship-- but not all are within the department. A few have assistantships with the library and writing center. 

I was offered an out-of-state waiver plus half off in-state tuition at East Tennessee State U. They also offered me a half-time graduate assistantship with a stipend.