The Final Week: Who are you still waiting on?

Duns Eith

What an interesting day with my MA offers! ... I will share soon, but my head is spinning.

Meanwhile, in the midst of the craziness, I heard from the last school. Not going to PhD this round.

I'm not in Philosophy, but I had to call the University of Arizona (if that is what you mean by 'Arizona') recently out of impatience and then had to email the DGS who finally told me I had been denied an MA admit. No biggie, I already have PhD admit to a much more highly ranked school. Funny way to finish my app season.

I haven't heard anything from Miami since they responded to my email in late February. I had asked them whether there were any updates, and they said no, most applicants make their decisions the last week before April 15th. They said if anything changed, they would email me. Now, should I email them again asking them if anything has changed on the wait list? It is the last week before the 15th, after all.

CUNY got back to me and said unfortunately nothing has changed with their wait list, but they were "sure" there would be news by Monday.

I haven't heard anything from Miami since they responded to my email in late February. I had asked them whether there were any updates, and they said no, most applicants make their decisions the last week before April 15th. They said if anything changed, they would email me. Now, should I email them again asking them if anything has changed on the wait list? It is the last week before the 15th, after all.

CUNY got back to me and said unfortunately nothing has changed with their wait list, but they were "sure" there would be news by Monday.

It is perfectly acceptable to express interest and ask for any update. If you did not hear yet, I wouldn't expect an offer.

I recently solicited a response from St. Louis U regarding my application to the PhD and was told that I was in a pool of applicants that the offer might go to if accepted and waitlisted people decline their offers. There are only three slots, but there are also only 6- 7 people total that are either waitlisted or in this pool.

I wanted to take this opportunity to say that if you are accepted or waitlisted at SLU and know that you will be declining I would greatly appreciate it if you would go ahead and do so. This program would really be a great fit for me and there is a very strong chance that I would accept an offer, especially if it was funded (which it very likely would be). 

Thanks, and good luck to all!

Edited by Theoldpond0

Lots of schools are forced to wait until the 15th, because their initial applicants who were accepted often don't make final decisions until that day. That's what one professor told me. I would not infer anything negative at this point, especially if there are no other posts up indicating that applicants from those schools had been accepted off the wait list yet.