The Final Week: Who are you still waiting on?

Duns Eith

Perhaps a redundant thread, but who are you still waiting on? I know plenty of people are still on waiting lists, but some haven't gotten any word yet.

I have heard at least initial decisions from all the schools I applied to. I am on a waitlist for Purdue (unranked, but excellent program for my AOIs), as I know at least one other user here is as well.

While I am only waiting to hear back from one school, the tension is a little high as I have outstanding offers that I could conditionally accept. What about you? How're you holding up? How many schools could you hear from? Are they top 20? Top 50? Unranked?

Perhaps a redundant thread, but who are you still waiting on? I know plenty of people are still on waiting lists, but some haven't gotten any word yet.

I have heard at least initial decisions from all the schools I applied to. I am on a waitlist for Purdue (unranked, but excellent program for my AOIs), as I know at least one other user here is as well.

While I am only waiting to hear back from one school, the tension is a little high as I have outstanding offers that I could conditionally accept. What about you? How're you holding up? How many schools could you hear from? Are they top 20? Top 50? Unranked?

I just learned that I was accepted off the waitlist to University of Oklahoma M.A. program (with funding). I have applied for a Ph.D., I am excited about this offer though.  I am also waiting to hear back from one more school. 

It is still not too late for those who are waiting I guess. 

I hope all of us will be happy with our decisions!

Edited by mano

I am still waiting on Rice. That is my only option, as I was rejected elsewhere. I would be extremely happy to go there since it does match up to my AOI nicely and would allow me to study secondary philosophy interests (mind, ethics, political philosophy). The DGS said I should hear something around today, so I am hopeful it will be good news! I am anxious because I am afraid I am too far down on the waitlist to be accepted.

Good luck to those still waiting!

I'm waiting on WashU in St Louis. I don't even have a clear idea of where I stand because the wait list is unranked and they want to preserve a diversity of interests, so that's a bit stressful. The DGS told me my chances were very good and that she expects that I'll get an offer eventually, so I'm thinking that means the probability is somewhere over 0.5 and I'm trying to take comfort in that. But the wait is really terrible.

I posted this elsewhere but it seems more relevant here, so I'll re-post: 

For what it's worth, I declined Vanderbilt through emails with the DGS back in mid-March, but I only received an official (electronic) offer letter from the grad school yesterday, which gave me the option of clicking 'attending' or 'not attending' (I clicked the 'not attending button'). It doesn't seem to me that Departments can dig into the wait list before this process actually took place, even though they've known since mid-March that I wasn't going to accept. After all, I was given the option to click 'attending', and if I really did that, they would be in a mess if they had already sent out an acceptance to another person. 

What I'm trying to say is, maybe some wait list movement is still around the corner; perhaps some departments were waiting for the admin process at the grad school to get cleared up. Best of luck to everyone!!

Edited by kosmo

I am still waiting on UPenn, UConn and Miami. I have no idea about my prospects at both UPenn and UConn unless sheer speculation. As for Miami, I was told I am ranked 17th on the list, so I'm not really expecting any good news from them.

I'm also considering accepting my offer at Otago. It's not a PGR-ranked department, but I had a very good experience interacting with them in the past months. Also, the money is pretty good and I think I would be able to live more comfortably. Downside is that it is far from home and, with the exception of Australia, it is geographically isolated from the rest of the profession. 

I am waiting to hear from Marquette. I am 3rd on the waitlist there with only one of the 4 original admitted students giving an official acceptance and the other three yet to reply. I'm hoping news comes soon as I'd prefer not to have to accept my current offer at the last possible moment.

I'm waiting on Penn. I've been accepted to CUNY with funding off the waitlist and am weighing that vs. LSE. Still totally lost! Any thoughts greatly appreciated :)

When were you accepted off of the wait list at CUNY?

Do you think at this point it is appropriate to contact the schools we are waitlisted at and ask for an update? I contacted them initially (which for me was one month ago), but all I want to know at this point is if I am realistically in the running. I know I will probably receive an ambiguous answer, but I don't want to come off as a pest if I do contact them. Thoughts?

Do you think at this point it is appropriate to contact the schools we are waitlisted at and ask for an update? I contacted them initially (which for me was one month ago), but all I want to know at this point is if I am realistically in the running. I know I will probably receive an ambiguous answer, but I don't want to come off as a pest if I do contact them. Thoughts?

I contacted Wisconsin and the only thing they told me was that I was still on the wait list. I had specifically asked for my chances of admission, but they said nothing. I emailed CUNY and Miami and hopefully they will get back to me soon.

I contacted them a few days ago. I think it is quite within reason to ask them especially considering there is not much time left. You don't lose anything.

But maybe because there is not much time left you should wait. I am not sure now:/

Edited by mano

Does anyone know what's going with UT-Austin? I've presumed rejection but I still have not received an official rejection from them. 

I'm also waitlisted at UW-Madison and "still under consideration" at UCLA. 

well I decided to email UW-Madison and was told the same- that I'm "still on the waitlist" - just like the other 1,000 of us waitlisted there! I just want this following week to be over with- I know this may be irrational but I feel guilty holding USF in suspense like this. I am going to be elated if I do end up going there!

I'm still waiting to hear from UW-Madison, CU Boulder and UConn. I'll be totally happy with GSU if none of these pan out though so I'm trying not to feel too anxious. Though I did lay in bed repeatedly refreshing my e-mail for an hour this morning after receiving the mistaken acceptance e-mail from Boulder.

I'm still waiting to hear from UW-Madison, CU Boulder and UConn. I'll be totally happy with GSU if none of these pan out though so I'm trying not to feel too anxious. Though I did lay in bed repeatedly refreshing my e-mail for an hour this morning after receiving the mistaken acceptance e-mail from Boulder.

I just wanted to say how truly awful I feel about what happened to you (and others) with the CU Boulder email. That had to be terrible. Thankfully you had the intuition that something was off, so that softened the blow, but it still had to be terrible. 

well I decided to email UW-Madison and was told the same- that I'm "still on the waitlist" - just like the other 1,000 of us waitlisted there! I just want this following week to be over with- I know this may be irrational but I feel guilty holding USF in suspense like this. I am going to be elated if I do end up going there!

I went ahead and told my contending offer(s) that I am waiting to hear back from another school and that is the sole reason for the wait, so that they know I am still interested and that I did in fact receive their communications.

Does anyone know what's going with UT-Austin? I've presumed rejection but I still have not received an official rejection from them. 

I'm also waitlisted at UW-Madison and "still under consideration" at UCLA. 

I am also "under consideration" at UCLA. While part of me is ticked that it is taking so long to hear back from them, another part of me knows that if they sent me an acceptance on the 4th of July I would still go. 

I have also not heard from Austin and am presuming a rejection. 

I am also waiting to hear about my wait-list at BU and am anxious for news.

It is very nerve racking! Good luck to all! 

I'm expecting (more) radio silence this weekend. I'm still waiting on U Tennessee and U South Carolina. Does anyone have any news on these schools?  

Try to solicit a response from USC if you haven't. I haven't been notified a long time after they sent out admissions/waitlists (late February) and rejections (early March), contacted them late March, only to find out that I was rejected with the group that received the rejections .

Neither the dept. mail adress nor their secretaries responded to me. I got this information from my POI. I still have no official response on the website. I trusted the response from POI and accepted an admission offer from another university.

Edited by Apathium

Is this all really going to come down to the last two or three days? (April 13th-15th) I was looking over past years, and it seems that many schools were already taking people off of the wait lists by April 7-8th. But it's already the 9th and not much is posted on the results page. And it seems none of the results are from the big-name schools.

Edited by riverstyx

I was thinking the same thing myself, riverstyx. I imagine that the nature of the wait list itself is what has the process held up. I can imagine that if one is accepted to a school and wait listed at one or more others they would want to wait to hear news about whether or not they got in.

Still, I imagine for those that have been accepted to multiple schools that it would be reasonable at this point to decline all of them save for their number one pick while waiting to hear potential good news from a school they may be wait listed at.

At least we can look forward to the end in less than a week!

I emailed all of my wait list schools and two of three got back to me. The only one that didn't respond at all is CUNY. I'm guessing I should take that as a bad sign. Some schools are more re tight lipped than others, though. Either way, like your you said we will find out in a few days.