Should I contact other professor?

niketon

During my application, i have mentioned the name of the professors with whom i want to work for my phd. I have emailed them before applying although none of them replied, However, i have to mention their name as it was mentioned in the application to write the name of POI in the sop. Now, it's been 3 month since i applied. But got no reply still. I think the professors whose name i have mentioned have already made offers to other students. Now can I contact any other professor in the department whose name i haven't mentioned in the sop? 

Usually, the mention of a professor in an SOP doesn't bind you to work with him. It should be Ok to contact other faculty members. 

As a general rule you must keep in mind that the people you contact should be doing research in your area of interest(else you will come accross as undecided).

Are you sure that the program allows contacting faculty prior/during application? It some times happens.

The same happened to me. I did contact other professors whose research interested me, but I had not mentioned in my SOP. They haven't replied either, so I wouldn't know what to recommend you. Anyways, I don't think you have anything to lose. Have you been admitted into the program yet?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use