Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with rescinding an offer BEFORE April 15


67880
 Share

Recommended Posts

I could really use some advice with the situation I've found myself in.

 

I accepted an offer just under a week ago as it was the only offer I had, although this school I've accepted is not offering funding.

 

Just 3 days ago, I was offered a spot off the wait list at my top-choice school with guaranteed funding for 6 years.

 

I would really like to accept this new offer at the funded school and rescind my previously accepted offer at the non-funded school.

 

Since it is before April 15, is this allowed? I do feel horrible about doing this and absolutely do not want to burn bridges or trouble the school I accepted already, but I need this money badly. Could anyone help advise me? I've read some other threads about this on here, and though all agreed rescinding is unprofessional and pretty awful thing to do, some people had said doing it before April 15 is better. Is this true?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can rescind your acceptance, but it is possible you will burn bridges if done carelessly. Try to be as polite about it as possible. On another thread, user Vene suggested saying 'After reexamining my financial situation I regret to say that I will not be able to attend next year. I am deeply sorry, but I wish to withdraw from your program.' I think this is a good way to put it.

 

I also think rescinding your acceptance and accepting the funded offer is absolutely the right thing to do. Even if the program you withdraw from is a bit annoyed at you, you should not second guess that. I would be surprised if they take it any worse than being somewhat annoyed, if you do it right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you both for the responses! It really eases my guilt.

 

I haven't received the "official" offer through the graduate department at the funded school, only the "recommendation for admission" unofficial offer. Should I wait to receive the official offer? I'm not sure how long it will take, and I want to let the unfunded school know as soon as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing is certain until you have the official offer, so I would wait (and perhaps politely ask when you could expect it). It's uncommon, but people do sometimes get rejected by the graduate school after their departments have recommended them for admission.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I emailed the school explaining the situation and everyone was very kind and understanding about the funding situation, so the problem has been sorted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.