Jump to content

Confused about the rules!!!!


James1990

Recommended Posts

Hi everybody

 

I have been offered admission to X university and they have given me 15 April deadline to accept their offer, but at the same I am waiting for another Y university decision which is going to be announced 20 April.

 

In case I accept X's offer now and I receive admission offer from Y on 20 April, Can I rescind my accept from X and actually accept Y's offer?

 

Note that X is among CGS universities and Y is not!

 

CGS universities have this rule : "However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer"

 

I would appreciate any helpful reply

 

Thanks,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the rules as written, if you commit to X and then Y accepts you you are obligated to enroll at X. But, I don't believe the agreement is legally binding* and even though another CGS university won't accept you, Y isn't a CGS university and may well take you.

 

Ultimately, I think you should talk directly with both of the universities. You can ask X for an extension for making a decision and/or you can ask Y for feedback sooner due to X's deadline. Personally, what I would do is talk to Y first for an earlier decision and if they are unable to give me one, I'd take the offer from X.

 

 

*I am not a lawyer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, that's not entirely true, Vene. The agreement says that you must ask and receive a written release from the first school (School X here) that you committed to before you can accept the offer at another school (School Y in this example).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, that's not entirely true, Vene. The agreement says that you must ask and receive a written release from the first school (School X here) that you committed to before you can accept the offer at another school (School Y in this example).

It says that, but what can school X do? School Y has no obligation to require the release as they're not CGS. And X cannot force a student to enroll in classes. I also don't believe it's a legal contract unless you're required to sign one stipulating such in order to accept X's offer.

 

Naturally, it is something which can bite you in the ass as professors at X are likely to be upset at you and academia is a small world.

Edited by Vene
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just do it realizing that you're likely screwing over School X, as well as probably denying a prospective student at School X a spot. 

 

There's nothing School X can force you to do, CGS is not that kind of agreement. It's a gentleman's agreement at heart, and is about an intent for fair recruiting more than anything else. 

 

You just need to realize what you're doing to the school, the potential impacts to your career depending on how badly it screws over School X, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eigen's point is important.

 

CGS isn't at all in anyway legally binding and it is beyond me why anyone would think that.  CGS overall is a good idea, but you should never let it prevent you from doing what you want imo. Ask for an extension, thats the most polite thing to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would suggest explaining the situation to school X and asking for an extension. It's better to act in good faith first. Only accept the offer with the possibility of rescinding for Y's offer if they say no. It's better to be upfront and honest - maybe they'll be accommodating, and you won't have to risk burning any bridges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use