Stuck between two schools!

Texas832

So finally after a long awaited process I have heard back from the schools I needed to. 

I realized that April 15th is 2 days away and I am stressing about a decision

A bit of background information,  I want to go into the field of Sports Psychology, which is a relatively new and interdisciplinary field.

I will graduate undergrad with minimal debt, and I do plan on going on to get a PhD in either Clinical or Counseling after taking a break for 2-3 years. For the past 2.5 years I have worked as a tutor/ Learning Assistant for Student-Athletes and would try to continue to do so at either school

During that hiatus I would like to get a job working with collegiate level athletes (Not coaching). 

Both Schools have strong Alumni Networks

Michigan State

• Has good sports teams (and opportunities to work with NCAA division I athletes),
  • a slightly better ranked school overall,
  • a top 20 education department where Kinesiology is housed.
  • The degree would be a M.S in Kinesiology with a concentration on Psychlogical Aspects of Sport and Physical Activity, which concerns me with job oppotunities.
  • Besides it being cold, I like this campus more

Florida State

• ranked slightly overall
  • has a top 40 education department.
  • This school too has good sports teams and opportunities to work with student athletes.
  • The degree would be a M.S in Educational Psychology with a concentration on Sports Psychology.
  • This school is about $5,000 more expensive per year
  • possibility for a GA

I am just stuck! Ive researched and people who are in the field and their backgrounds vary extremely.

Which masters degree do you think would help me get a job after grad school? And if you have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it

Edited by Texas832

You've not mentioned how much scholarship, if any, the universities have offered you. Disclosure: I have absolutely no idea about your field, but sometimes it's the money that can help the final decision.

You've not mentioned how much scholarship, if any, the universities have offered you. Disclosure: I have absolutely no idea about your field, but sometimes it's the money that can help the final decision.

I would have to disagree. If funding amounts aren't significantly different, I think career prospects and fit are more important to consider than a difference of a few thousand dollars. Try posting this question in the subject specific forums and you may get more informed responses. Good luck! 

I don't know much about your field, but from what you've said here, Michigan is ranked better, less expensive, and you like the campus more. However, if you want to go into clinical psych a kinesiology degree doesn't sound particularly relevant... but you applied for it, so I assume there's something about it that appeals to you strongly. I suppose if the goal is psych, I'd go for the psych degree, or at least talk to some professors and mentors in your field and see what they think would yield a better placement later on. 

My sister's field is exercise science, and in the course of trying to help her find positions relevant to her area, I have found far more positions that wanted someone with a degree in kinesiology or a related field than positions that wanted someone with a degree in psychology. So I don't think that would be a problem career-wise while you work in between.

Conversely, for academia the name of the program doesn't matter as much as what you are learning. For someone who is specifically interested in sport psychology and aspects of that, I think a kinesiology degree that explicitly concentrates on psychological aspects is just as useful as an ed psych degree that concentrates on sports. The coursework will likely be relatively similar, perhaps with some exceptions (there are some things that exercise science/kinesiology students learn to do biomechanically).

Add to that that MSU is better-reputed in your field, cheaper, has good sports teams and you like the campus more - I feel like that's your answer.

Thank you all!! 

your input and advice has helped me with this difficult decision!

I don't know much about your field, but from what you've said here, Michigan is ranked better, less expensive, and you like the campus more. However, if you want to go into clinical psych a kinesiology degree doesn't sound particularly relevant... but you applied for it, so I assume there's something about it that appeals to you strongly. I suppose if the goal is psych, I'd go for the psych degree, or at least talk to some professors and mentors in your field and see what they think would yield a better placement later on. 

Haha I could understand how it would seem irrelevant. Since Sports psych is still new different schools house the programs in different schools

If i were to go into clinical I would look for programs with a concentration on Health. But it is a good point that you bring up and I would be one I would need to explain in the future

My sister's field is exercise science, and in the course of trying to help her find positions relevant to her area, I have found far more positions that wanted someone with a degree in kinesiology or a related field than positions that wanted someone with a degree in psychology. So I don't think that would be a problem career-wise while you work in between.

Thank you for sharing that. That makes me feel better about job prospects. I just dont wan to spend all this time on a degree that won't amount to a job