Someone talk me through this tough decision? Anyone?

bailey24

Hi Everyone,

I will be applying to MPP/ JD joint degree programs for 2016-2017. (T14, Vanderbilt, and the ivies)

I am currently a Teach for America corps member, and I am trying to decide between two fellowship opportunities for next year. I am curious about the fellowships impact on admissions decisions and any information you have on how well they prepare candidates for success in graduate school. 

The options I am looking at include the CBYX (Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals) and the Fulbright ETA in Germany. With the CBYX program I would have a semester of public policy classes and an internship with a leading researcher on educational initiatives to combat racism and right-wing extremism at the Center for Applied politics. (A think tank affiliated with the University of Munich) I am interested in the intersection of education, law and policy, and each of these programs would provide me with hands-on experience with both sectors, in addition to exposure to how the two work together.

Also, I can't defer either program, and I have hit the age cap for CBYX after this year. I know the Fulbright name carries a lot of weight, but that the English Teaching Assistantship is not exactly viewed like a research grant. I could also reapply for ether the research/ETA or a combination (available in Austria) later. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

I can't really speak to which is the better option, but I am also currently a TFA corps member and I did a DAAD fellowship (biology research) in Germany. I would do whatever option better fits your long term goals from a practical standpoint and happiness. CBYX seems like it might be better aligned. I don't imagine that you will have issues with acceptances into professional programs, if you were already accepted into both of these programs and if your experience is anything like my experience with PhD programs in science. 

CBYX for sure. You can't do it ever again, whereas you could apply for a Fulbright ETA again. Plus, if you want to go to law school and do policy research, having policy research experience already will be an asset when you apply to grad school.

Thanks everyone!

I officially declined tonight and I feel at peace with the decision.

Admittedly, I am already thinking about a future Fulbright application for next year and wondering how declining/ having extra time in my host country will look... If you want to weigh in again, I am all ears. 

Thank you again for the advice. :)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use