HELP! CAL STATE EAST BAY or SAN JOSE STATE?

Hi! I am from CA and got into the extended program in CSUEB and SJSU. Any thoughts on these two programs?

The degree from CSUEB will be MS and SJSU is MA (in Education).

CSUEB takes 3.5 years/less intense/quarter system (3-4 classes)

SJSU takes 3 years/a bit more intense/semester system (5-6 classes)

CSUEB seems to have shitty clinical supervisors

SJSU staffing problems?

My friend goes to CSUEB and she has a fine experience there (she's getting all A, having a social life, worked quite a bit in the first 2 years) but she wouldn't say she love the program.

FACEBOOK friend attending SJSU said she likes the program and there aren't that many negative things about it.

HELP?

THANK YOU!

I know CSUEB has problems with getting required undergrad classes as a grad student, but I haven't heard the same for SJSU. That alone is a reason for me to choose SJSU.

I contacted the department and confirmed that their students in the extended program are guaranteed all required SLP undergrad classes.  I guess maybe they have changed registration policy. Or it maybe only a problem with getting other undergrad classes (ASHA required science courses), but you can always get those courses elsewhere.

I"m an undergrad (and future grad student) here at SJSU. I think that the Extended Master's here at SJSU are pretty happy with the program. I haven't heard many complaints from the EMs that I talk to. If you REALLY want to work with adults, I'd choose East Bay. But, if you're unsure and maybe leaning towards kids, SJSU would be a fine choice. Over all, most of our professors are pretty great and our clinic supervisors have a good reputation. There isn't much support for students (in regards to ASHA requirements, etc). Well, at least not in my experience in undergrad.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel so grateful to be going to CSUEB because of its focus. I wanted to work with adults in a hospital setting. But I had a few concerns about the classes and Pandasa helped me. They guarantee us classes. I liked the program better at CSUEB and it became my favorite. I heard it is easier to get clinical placement in hospital settings. Having said that, I have concerns about Hayward but San Jose has criminalities as well in the Downtown area, and Hayward is in a safest part of the town, up the hills. I am a professional, and I love making friends, but a commuter school like CSUEB is fine by me as well. We can make friends still.

I have a friend that didn't even try CSUEB but honestly, she scared me more than what it was needed :)

My favorite was CSUEB, and I ended up manifesting an acceptance at my dearest future school CSUEB and a rejection at SJSU.

Had I been accepted to San Jose, I would have chosen CSUEB.

Also, SJSU is a mess. They didn't let me know until I sent an email to the coordinator saying the location where (Silicon Valley) the school is has a culture of being corteous to give an answer, regardless of it being a yes or a no. A few minutes later, I got a rejection. THAT WAS APRIL 17!!!

I called several times, but I never got an answer or call back about their receiving my application. Emails were useless. Imagine being a student there and needing their support, and receiving none.

Yep, I pretty much manifested my rejection there. I was turned off by it.

Then, Pandasa helped me find out we are guaranteed courses. Yeah, a bit concerned about driving to Hayward, but I got my windows tinted and I'm ready to go.

CSUEB administration was always there for me. They promptly replied. I believe maturity and being present is very important to me when choosing a school, and I'm going to CSUEB!!! I'm grateful for the opportunity! Thank you, God!!!

(On my kindle. Please excuse typos)

Edited by lslp

Hi! I am from CA and got into the extended program in CSUEB and SJSU. Any thoughts on these two programs?

The degree from CSUEB will be MS and SJSU is MA (in Education).

CSUEB takes 3.5 years/less intense/quarter system (3-4 classes)

SJSU takes 3 years/a bit more intense/semester system (5-6 classes)

CSUEB seems to have shitty clinical supervisors

SJSU staffing problems?

My friend goes to CSUEB and she has a fine experience there (she's getting all A, having a social life, worked quite a bit in the first 2 years) but she wouldn't say she love the program.

FACEBOOK friend attending SJSU said she likes the program and there aren't that many negative things about it.

HELP?

THANK YOU!

Hi, there! I was just curious as to what decision you made? Thanks!

I feel so grateful to be going to CSUEB because of its focus. I wanted to work with adults in a hospital setting. But I had a few concerns about the classes and Pandasa helped me. They guarantee us classes. I liked the program better at CSUEB and it became my favorite. I heard it is easier to get clinical placement in hospital settings. Having said that, I have concerns about Hayward but San Jose has criminalities as well in the Downtown area, and Hayward is in a safest part of the town, up the hills. I am a professional, and I love making friends, but a commuter school like CSUEB is fine by me as well. We can make friends still.

I have a friend that didn't even try CSUEB but honestly, she scared me more than what it was needed :)

My favorite was CSUEB, and I ended up manifesting an acceptance at my dearest future school CSUEB and a rejection at SJSU.

Had I been accepted to San Jose, I would have chosen CSUEB.

Also, SJSU is a mess. They didn't let me know until I sent an email to the coordinator saying the location where (Silicon Valley) the school is has a culture of being corteous to give an answer, regardless of it being a yes or a no. A few minutes later, I got a rejection. THAT WAS APRIL 17!!!

I called several times, but I never got an answer or call back about their receiving my application. Emails were useless. Imagine being a student there and needing their support, and receiving none.

Yep, I pretty much manifested my rejection there. I was turned off by it.

Then, Pandasa helped me find out we are guaranteed courses. Yeah, a bit concerned about driving to Hayward, but I got my windows tinted and I'm ready to go.

CSUEB administration was always there for me. They promptly replied. I believe maturity and being present is very important to me when choosing a school, and I'm going to CSUEB!!! I'm grateful for the opportunity! Thank you, God!!!

(On my kindle. Please excuse typos)

I have lived in both Hayward and San Jose.  I had more problems with criminal activity in San Jose.  There are safe areas to live both in Hayward and neighboring Castro Valley.  Pleasanton, San Ramon and Walnut creek are all very nice and more upscale than Hayward / Castro Valley.

Schoolwise, I also had a bad experience applying to SJSU.  I will be attending CSUEB this fall.

I'll see you there!!! I agree SJ Downtown is not safe... Hayward campus is nice and safe.

Interesting to hear no one had a good experience with SJSU