Help on bolstering resume

Hi everyone!

I am graduating next month (eek) from the University of Texas at Austin and I decided I prefer to wait a year before applying to graduate school. I am looking to work as a SLP-A to gain experience in the field, but I still feel like my resume is slightly lacking... I was hoping any of you who are currently in programs/have been admitted can look at my stats. Also, I have not yet taken the GRE - I will this fall.

Overall GPA: projected to be ~3.7

CSD GPA: ~3.75

I am bilingual - English and Spanish

I worked for 3 years of my undergrad, not in the field, but I feel like it is something that the admissions should take note of.

I volunteered/observed at a pediatric speech clinic for an entire school year, acquiring 100 hours of observation.

I previously worked as a reading and math teacher to Elementary-aged kiddos at a tutoring center (1.5 years).

I was a research assistant last summer (2014).

Any thoughts? I mainly looking for ideas for how to add to my resume because I feel like it is slightly lacking. Hopefully, a SLP-A position will help.

Honestly, I feel like your resume isn't lacking at all. My biggest piece of advice to you is to study your butt off for the GRE. Seriously. I have a great GPA and tons of experience, but I feel like a lot of schools wrote me off b/c my scores were less than stellar. So score high on the GRE and possibly get some observation/volunteer experience at a hospital so you can show your versatility in the field. Best of luck to you!!  :)

Your resume sounds great! Honestly, those who are accepted to schools are so diverse and varied that it's hard to put a formula to being accepted. Some people have almost entirely speech experience, some are from out of field and only have a few hours of observation, and some are a mix (I fell in this category). My GPA was similar to yours, and I was accepted to every school I applied to.

I feel like if you do what you're interested in, and you are trying to gain new skills, anything can be applied to speech and shaped to bolster your resume. In my 'gap year' I actually worked out of field in marketing (which "makes me a better advocate for the SLP field"). I traveled and volunteered in an orphanage (cross cultural experience). I taught horseback riding lessons in my spare time (one on one teaching experience).

Now that you have a CSD major and observation hours, anything you do or learn this year can be shaped as something that prepared you to be an SLP. It just depends on how you phrase it. So work hard, but have fun with your year off!

I agree with what Holly44 said though. No matter what experience you have, having strong GRE scores to complement your already-strong GPA will only help you. Not necessarily perfect, but strong human scores. ;)

Also, so much respect for you for being bilingual. That's going to be HUGE! Have you checked out Portland State University? They allow you to have a bilingual emphasis and have travel opportunities to Ecuador for Spanish-speaking grad students. Pretty sweet. 

Edited by anslpaday

Study for the GRE! I think many schools use it as an initial weeding out tool. All your great experience won't help if you don't make it past the initial cut. My GPA was a 3.7, I had very little volunteer exoerience, decent LORs, and what I hope was a decent SOP. V167 Q149 W4.5. I was accepted at 2 schools wait listed at 6 and rejected at 2. I honestly think my high verbal score on the GRE is what saved me.

I'll second and third what was said about the GRE, but I would also look into volunteering full time if you can afford it - I applied with a year of volunteer experience on top of solid LORs, good GRE scores and prereqs, but I honestly think that my year was what set me apart. It's getting less common for people to pursue full time service, and I think that you could find something in the field or at least close to what you're interested in. I was able to talk about how my year influenced my decision to become a SLP and came in with a unique background