Official D.C. Graduate Student Move-In Thread & Funding it (Fall 2015)

Hi!

I’m aware that there are many move-in threads for graduate students along with ‘City Guides to Washington DC’ (found one on reddit). But, I would like to start a topic specifically for prospective graduate students who will be making a move to the DC area from a very long distance. Unlike many college towns, I’ve already seen that most of DC can be horribly expensive for young gradate students on a budget. How do some of you plan to fund your ‘initial move’ to DC? Is anyone attempting to move BEFORE the August? Based on my brief research, I’ve seen Gradcafe users post ideas that have ranged from personal loans, having money saved up, or selling valuable or frivolous items to make spare change in order to fund it.

I’m HOPING to make my initial move around June in order to have time to adjust to the area before the Fall and to perhaps find a ‘late-summer’ internship. I have never lived in a metropolitan atmosphere and will be moving from Louisiana on my own (no kids or spouse/partner). I’m also currently carless and probably won’t have many valuable items to carry due to only being a current college student in a pre-furnished apartment. Aside from that, I probably will have no option but to take out a small ‘personal loan’ (perhaps 1k-2k) for the first major move…with possible financial help from my grandparents lol….

D.C. can be pricey. My wife and I just committed to a condo in Beltsville yesterday, and will be moving in June. We'll be carrying two rents, unfortunately, for a full month, since we have to break the lease where we're at (about 50 miles south of D.C.), but we've found a nice place that fits all of our needs for $1200 per month including utilities. It's about six miles from my campus, which is obviously a bonus. A bit farther for my wife, however.

Since you're going to GWU, you can probably remain carless. There are metro stops quite close (Foggy Bottom etc.), and if you can find a place within a few blocks of a metro station, you'll be saving yourself a lot of grief. If you are willing to have a longer commute, the northern parts of D.C., like the south side of Takoma Park and Silver Spring (both start on the north / Maryland side of Eastern Ave.) might be a good option that keeps you in an urban community without having to pay through the nose in rent (like you would in Dupont, Georgetown, Foggy Bottom etc.)

If you don't have a lot of furniture etc., maybe renting a room is an option. That will probably run you about $600 (give or take) per month, whereas finding a small one-bedroom or studio apartment in D.C. proper will probably be $900 at an absolute minimum, and $1200 - $1400 on average. Bear in mind that a lot of apartment complexes will have discounts for graduate students in particular (as opposed to undergrads). Sometimes they'll waive security deposit or application fees, and sometimes they'll knock $20 or $30 off your monthly rent (all of those scenarios presented themselves in my recent apartment search).

Either way...good luck! It is an expensive city, but it's doable...and many people (myself included) think it's a worthwhile city to live in (or around).

Thank you so much for the tips! I'm pretty much on my own with planning all of this out. I will take all of this into consideration!

D.C. can be pricey. My wife and I just committed to a condo in Beltsville yesterday, and will be moving in June. We'll be carrying two rents, unfortunately, for a full month, since we have to break the lease where we're at (about 50 miles south of D.C.), but we've found a nice place that fits all of our needs for $1200 per month including utilities. It's about six miles from my campus, which is obviously a bonus. A bit farther for my wife, however.

Since you're going to GWU, you can probably remain carless. There are metro stops quite close (Foggy Bottom etc.), and if you can find a place within a few blocks of a metro station, you'll be saving yourself a lot of grief. If you are willing to have a longer commute, the northern parts of D.C., like the south side of Takoma Park and Silver Spring (both start on the north / Maryland side of Eastern Ave.) might be a good option that keeps you in an urban community without having to pay through the nose in rent (like you would in Dupont, Georgetown, Foggy Bottom etc.)

If you don't have a lot of furniture etc., maybe renting a room is an option. That will probably run you about $600 (give or take) per month, whereas finding a small one-bedroom or studio apartment in D.C. proper will probably be $900 at an absolute minimum, and $1200 - $1400 on average. Bear in mind that a lot of apartment complexes will have discounts for graduate students in particular (as opposed to undergrads). Sometimes they'll waive security deposit or application fees, and sometimes they'll knock $20 or $30 off your monthly rent (all of those scenarios presented themselves in my recent apartment search).

Either way...good luck! It is an expensive city, but it's doable...and many people (myself included) think it's a worthwhile city to live in (or around).

I definitely cannot imagine there are studios in the immediate DC area for that price? In my experience they are in the $1500-1800 range at the minimum.

Also, there are some decent options in Northern Virginia that shouldn't be ignored! Many places right off the metro lines that run to Foggy Bottom that are very nice, and you may be able to find a room in a larger house for a good deal. Definitely worth looking into. I'm thinking Alexandria and the Falls Church stops for sure.

I definitely cannot imagine there are studios in the immediate DC area for that price? In my experience they are in the $1500-1800 range at the minimum.

Also, there are some decent options in Northern Virginia that shouldn't be ignored! Many places right off the metro lines that run to Foggy Bottom that are very nice, and you may be able to find a room in a larger house for a good deal. Definitely worth looking into. I'm thinking Alexandria and the Falls Church stops for sure.

I definitely agree. If you manage to find a room for 600 in DC you should let me know because that seems like mission impossible. My friend who lives a street behind the Foggy Bottom metro is paying $1600 for a large-ish studio. Another friend who goes to GW pays $900 for a really nice full apartment (only herself) in Pentagon City, and you can find really nice places near the metro there or in Crystal City. My advice is to decide what you value more: location or cost. That will matter hugely.

I go to SAIS, and am living in a large house with a few other people who go to GW and GT. We're right of Dupont Circle, and I pay 900/month for a room including everything. This is not a modern house. Most of my friends pay far more than that, and some have even resorted to sharing a room. I used to rent a room for 800 in Alexandria, which was more like a house share with one other person, and I had my own floor with bathroom etc. I absolutely hated the commute on the metro (had to switch lines) and that's why I moved. Also, if you end up going to school 5/6 days a week, your metro or bus fare could be around 5$ a day, so that's something to consider too.

However, if you want to live a bit more cheaply in the district, you might want to check out as north as Petworth, maybe Adams Morgan or Columbia Heights, or Mt. Pleasant - a lot of students there who share large, bit older houses for around $1000 a month. That's def doable in that area. Shaw might also work. NoMa has a few recently developed buildings - really big and spacious, but a bit more expensive and higher priced (two friends share an apt that's about $2500/month, but you can literally do a cartwheel in the bathroom). Although SE has a slightly bad rep, you might want to look into SW. There's a lot of development on the waterfront now and the city is really trying to boost that area. If you don't mind the commute, you could also look in the area around Georgetown, like Glover Park.

I hope some of this helps!

I will also be making the move to the D.C. area for the fall. I was recently admitted into GWU for Sociology and I plan to accept relatively soon. I just got back from visiting the area over the weekend and I think it will be a great experience. I'm coming from Ohio, so its a pretty big move as well. 

Like many others have stated, be prepared to pay a rather large amount of money for housing. You will get a lot more for your money if you live farther away from the district (NOVA - Arlington, Alexandria, Tysons or MD - Bethesda, College Park, Sliver Spring). If you do live in DC Proper, then I've been told that Chinatown, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, U St, Noma and H St are good places to look. But, you will not be able to get a 1-2 bedroom without paying a high price. Shared spaces are the best for cheaper rent and I completely agree that living near a metro would be great, as I plan to be carless as well. The Orange, Blue and Silver lines are all on the Foggy Bottom Metro, which lets you off right in front of GWU. 

GWU also has an off-campus housing site for students to find housing, roommates, etc. as well. I've signed up already and created a profile just to get a head start. I'm hoping to find a place by Mid-Late July, as I plan to move at the beginning of August. 

I took the graduate tour during my visit as well and the tour guide, who is a current grad student, stated that the best time to look for housing is late summer (Late June/July), as the turnover for student housing happens during that period. It also happens relatively quick, so as soon as you find something within your price range in an area with a great commute, take it ASAP because it will not last long. 

Congrats on the acceptance! Maybe we can do a meet and greet for GW on these forums as well? It would be nice to meet other grads who will be attending GWU in the fall. I would love to meet others and maybe even find potential roommates from this site too!

I will also be making the move to the D.C. area for the fall. I was recently admitted into GWU for Sociology and I plan to accept relatively soon. I just got back from visiting the area over the weekend and I think it will be a great experience. I'm coming from Ohio, so its a pretty big move as well. 

Like many others have stated, be prepared to pay a rather large amount of money for housing. You will get a lot more for your money if you live farther away from the district (NOVA - Arlington, Alexandria, Tysons or MD - Bethesda, College Park, Sliver Spring). If you do live in DC Proper, then I've been told that Chinatown, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, U St, Noma and H St are good places to look. But, you will not be able to get a 1-2 bedroom without paying a high price. Shared spaces are the best for cheaper rent and I completely agree that living near a metro would be great, as I plan to be carless as well. The Orange, Blue and Silver lines are all on the Foggy Bottom Metro, which lets you off right in front of GWU. 

GWU also has an off-campus housing site for students to find housing, roommates, etc. as well. I've signed up already and created a profile just to get a head start. I'm hoping to find a place by Mid-Late July, as I plan to move at the beginning of August. 

I took the graduate tour during my visit as well and the tour guide, who is a current grad student, stated that the best time to look for housing is late summer (Late June/July), as the turnover for student housing happens during that period. It also happens relatively quick, so as soon as you find something within your price range in an area with a great commute, take it ASAP because it will not last long. 

Congrats on the acceptance! Maybe we can do a meet and greet for GW on these forums as well? It would be nice to meet other grads who will be attending GWU in the fall. I would love to meet others and maybe even find potential roommates from this site too!

So those neighborhoods you mention are very nice, but they are very, very expensive. I am in a dual income situation right now (currently working full time, salaried) and we couldn't afford to live in any of those. If you live as far out as Tyson's corner you'll probably hate your commute every day. You may be able to find something that borders on affordable in: Brookland, Bloomingdale, Eckington, or Petworth. You can also find some -- I don't want to say affordable -- but nice places in Alexandria either off the Braddock Rd stop or the King St stop. Crystal City is another viable option, same with Pentagon City in Arlington if you look a bit further from the metro.

I would also say you don't have to live off a metro in DC. The bus system is pretty solid and I know many people who live here that almost never take the metro.

Hi!

I’m aware that there are many move-in threads for graduate students along with ‘City Guides to Washington DC’ (found one on reddit). But, I would like to start a topic specifically for prospective graduate students who will be making a move to the DC area from a very long distance. Unlike many college towns, I’ve already seen that most of DC can be horribly expensive for young gradate students on a budget. How do some of you plan to fund your ‘initial move’ to DC? Is anyone attempting to move BEFORE the August? Based on my brief research, I’ve seen Gradcafe users post ideas that have ranged from personal loans, having money saved up, or selling valuable or frivolous items to make spare change in order to fund it.

I’m HOPING to make my initial move around June in order to have time to adjust to the area before the Fall and to perhaps find a ‘late-summer’ internship. I have never lived in a metropolitan atmosphere and will be moving from Louisiana on my own (no kids or spouse/partner). I’m also currently carless and probably won’t have many valuable items to carry due to only being a current college student in a pre-furnished apartment. Aside from that, I probably will have no option but to take out a small ‘personal loan’ (perhaps 1k-2k) for the first major move…with possible financial help from my grandparents lol….

Hi,

The prices are going to vary depending on what you require out of a living situation. Is the cost of rent the most important thing to you or is convenience? Ideal location? commute? amenities?  

If your bottom line is simply to find an affordable apartment in the DMV area, I assure you, it can be done. First, I would almost certainly rid yourself of the notion that you're going to live near GW. Plenty of areas in DC are expensive and GWU is especially expensive since it's near a university, the State Department, and is one of the most convenient metro stops for the monuments. 

Instead, consider simply living near a place that is walking distance to the metro. (Many people overlook places in Virginia and Maryland because the thought of a location in a different state sounds far away. (This may not be the case.) 

Also, get used to the idea that, if you're looking for an affordable place, you're going to have to live with a roommate.

Are you willing to sign  year-long lease? I can message you some suggestions on places to look, if your'e interested. 

So those neighborhoods you mention are very nice, but they are very, very expensive. I am in a dual income situation right now (currently working full time, salaried) and we couldn't afford to live in any of those. If you live as far out as Tyson's corner you'll probably hate your commute every day. You may be able to find something that borders on affordable in: Brookland, Bloomingdale, Eckington, or Petworth. You can also find some -- I don't want to say affordable -- but nice places in Alexandria either off the Braddock Rd stop or the King St stop. Crystal City is another viable option, same with Pentagon City in Arlington if you look a bit further from the metro.

I would also say you don't have to live off a metro in DC. The bus system is pretty solid and I know many people who live here that almost never take the metro.

Really? In regards to rooming with someone? I should actually put that in my post.

I'm not saying living alone in any of these areas. I'm more along the lines of rooming with 1-2 other people. There's no way anyone can afford places in DC proper without a roommate. And Tyson's actually isn't that bad. Actually, its best to live near Dunn-Lorring/Merrifield as there is a metro stop near the area. I also agree that the bus system makes it incredibly easy to get to the metro.

But again, you really cannot live alone unless you have a very stable and highly paid income coming in. I'm sure there are people who can do that, but most cannot. 

Really? In regards to rooming with someone? I should actually put that in my post.

I'm not saying living alone in any of these areas. I'm more along the lines of rooming with 1-2 other people. There's no way anyone can afford places in DC proper without a roommate. And Tyson's actually isn't that bad. Actually, its best to live near Dunn-Lorring/Merrifield as there is a metro stop near the area. I also agree that the bus system makes it incredibly easy to get to the metro.

But again, you really cannot live alone unless you have a very stable and highly paid income coming in. I'm sure there are people who can do that, but most cannot. 

Well I'll tell you what a lot of people do to live in those neighborhoods, is they turn a 1 bedroom into a 2 bedroom and 2 bedroom into a 3 bedroom.

Hi,

The prices are going to vary depending on what you require out of a living situation. Is the cost of rent the most important thing to you or is convenience? Ideal location? commute? amenities?  

If your bottom line is simply to find an affordable apartment in the DMV area, I assure you, it can be done. First, I would almost certainly rid yourself of the notion that you're going to live near GW. Plenty of areas in DC are expensive and GWU is especially expensive since it's near a university, the State Department, and is one of the most convenient metro stops for the monuments. 

Instead, consider simply living near a place that is walking distance to the metro. (Many people overlook places in Virginia and Maryland because the thought of a location in a different state sounds far away. (This may not be the case.) 

Also, get used to the idea that, if you're looking for an affordable place, you're going to have to live with a roommate.

Are you willing to sign  year-long lease? I can message you some suggestions on places to look, if your'e interested. 

Hi.Yes, the cost of rent is important to me. Paying 1k is not something that I would like to do (on my own at least). For the commuting factors, I would prefer it to not be too far (30 mins+ or more) and something close to a metro. I'm not too picky on amenities (close by gyms, clubs, bars, etc).

I've also already accepted the fact that Foggybottom is off the list.... especially for living a studio or one bedroom apartment. If I was to live alone in a somewhat affordable manner, then I have pretty much accepted that it would have to be in a room of a shared/large house or perhaps in a basement room. If I get an apartment, then roommates(s) will have to be a must no matter what part of DC that I choose to live in.

And sure! I would love if you can message me some suggestions of where to look. I still haven't made it up to DC and hope to make my first trip in early June.

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

Hi. Just thought I'd chime in as a long time NOVA resident. Tysons traffic made me hate my life and is not THAT much cheaper than Arlington. I need to second ANYTHING on the orange (maybe some blue) line as far as efficiency when getting from VA to DC. One of the things that always killed me about bus -> metro or metro->metro transfers was the sudden 15 - 20 minute wait that would murder the commute, especially if you have to do it more than once. Not worth it.