Hunter College

Nope no interview.

B.S. in Neuroscience; Minor in Linguistics

Bach GPA: 3.49

Post bacc GPA: 4.00

GRE Verbal: 153

GRE Quant: 156

GRE Ana: 5.0

Have volunteer experience with a NPO, research experience in a nonspeech lab, and tutor privately.

Nothing spectacular. I honestly think my recs and the LOR made me stand out. Hunter emphasizes on those two elements during their open house. Hope that helps!

Nope no interview.

B.S. in Neuroscience; Minor in Linguistics

Bach GPA: 3.49

Post bacc GPA: 4.00

GRE Verbal: 153

GRE Quant: 156

GRE Ana: 5.0

Have volunteer experience with a NPO, research experience in a nonspeech lab, and tutor privately.

Nothing spectacular. I honestly think my recs and the LOR made me stand out. Hunter emphasizes on those two elements during their open house. Hope that helps!

Thanks...

How long should a LOR be?

Mine was two pages and around 700 words. I modified the paragraph spacing and font for it to all fit. The profs at the open house specifically mentioned that they prefer not to see letters which tie a significant family issue (i.e. a relative suffered a stroke) into your interest into speech or a letter which states " I did this and I did that". Pick something that is unique to you.

Mine was two pages and around 700 words. I modified the paragraph spacing and font for it to all fit. The profs at the open house specifically mentioned that they prefer not to see letters which tie a significant family issue (i.e. a relative suffered a stroke) into your interest into speech or a letter which states " I did this and I did that". Pick something that is unique to you.

My SOP is about the same. A professor who wrote a LOR wrote only a paragraph for me. I am worried maybe that LOR is not good enough.

Haha i confused LOR with SOP oops.

For LORs I have no idea how long they were. I had enough trust in my recommenders to write a good rec so I never looked at the letters. Did you get a recommendation from a person who writes recs all the time? I picked people who are not commonly asked to write recs. I have this theory that individuals who tend to not write recs all the time usually write a better letter because they put more effort and time into it. A popular professor is not someone I would go to. Also, it is good to know if they write well in general.

Haha i confused LOR with SOP oops.

For LORs I have no idea how long they were. I had enough trust in my recommenders to write a good rec so I never looked at the letters. Did you get a recommendation from a person who writes recs all the time? I picked people who are not commonly asked to write recs. I have this theory that individuals who tend to not write recs all the time usually write a better letter because they put more effort and time into it. A popular professor is not someone I would go to. Also, it is good to know if they write well in general.

Yes, he told he had 12 to write. That is a great idea...getting an unpopular professor!

There was actually no interview (at least I didn't have one) which I was surprised by!

I fulfilled the speech prerequisites as a post bacc. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.6 and my post bacc (just the speech related classes) 4.0. My GRE was 4.5 on writing, 156 verbal and 150 math.

Other than that theres the extracurriculars, personal statement, and recommendations. I had done a bit of volunteer work related to the field that I also incorporated into my statement.

As far as recommendations go, Hunter didn't require recommendations come from speech professors/professionals whereas many/some of the other programs did/recommended it. At the open house, the director really emphasized that if someone can speak to your skills and write a great recommendation for you then have them write it. I had a recommendation sent from my undergraduate advisor (who worked closely with me on a senior research project) and a supervisor of one of my volunteer opportunities (who is an SLP). But you don't necessarily need that popular speech professor if you feel that letter won't be as detailed as you'd like.

I took a Kaplan course which was a bit pricey but definitely helped with some strategies on how to approach different question types. I'm sure you could also get those strategies from the test prep books but I personally needed a class sort of setting.

Since I had an inconsistent schedule due to work and school, I used Magoosh and the ETS book to study on my own time. Magoosh's instructional videos, explanations and breakdowns of questions and concepts really helped me. Plus, tutoring high school students in math helped! :)

I really stink in Math. I used Magoosh app for vocabulary. I have two cliff note books for verbal and math section of GRE. I'm going to have to open them again and try harder to grasp the concepts.

Arcanelady27,

Do you have to take Physics for Brooklyn and Lehman. Can you take Chemistry instead, it seems easier, at least for me...[/quote

Yes, I can.

I am looking for easy and something to boost GPA. I will look into that. Thanks :)