Should I retake the GRE ?

tvn

I just took the GRE last month and got a 640Q, 360V, and 3.5 A. I am graduating w/ a M.S. also in C.S from Penn State. My GPA is about ~3.3. In short, my academic status as well as standard test scores are not competitive at all. Since I am applying to a Ph.D. program at top researching schools (>> PSU), I heavily rely on my research experience. I have ~10 publication papers and ~3 journals (all are at well-known places). One of those being selected as best papers. Two of the LOR writers are my co-authors so they should be quite good.

That's my status, do you think I should retake the GRE ? From now till Dec when most applications are due I have 1.5 months, I can continue my research project (and probably get another paper out) or concentrating on the GRE (I think I can improve the Q score to 700+ and V to above 400). Between Grad school and fellowships applications, which one emphasizes more greatly toward academic status ?

TIA,

Although your GRE scores are really bad, I would remind you that they look at the complete application package. However, if you have the time to take the GRE again (and study for it), then definitely do so - you could easily make up for that verbal score with a week of memorization. And while I realize your program is likely not that interested in the verbal section, it sticks out, which is exactly what you don't want it to do. Also, a 640 quantitative is only like the 60th percentile - that might stick out, too, if all of the other applicants are scoring over 700.

Then again, don't ask me. I think the whole process was a crap shoot that comes down to:

-not totally screwing something up

-and catching people on a Friday rather than a Monday

I think that the difference between 700+ and 640, or 400+ and 360, is bigger than the difference between ten or eleven papers. So, I think if you are choosing between GRE scores and another research paper, you should go with the GREs.

Retake them.... Your publications will look like you had ALOT of help if your verbal and writing sections are low, so they won't count that much. STUDY!!!! I worked at an admissions office (undergrad so not that applicable, but still) and people would say they were going to retake tests all the time. Some said they planned on studying/taking a course, some didn't. Surprise, surprise... those who did, did better and those who didn't showed little or no improvement.

• 1 month later...

ur research is very impressive! i think that is most important thing if u r applying for Ph.D.

I fancy ur chance to get into one of the top schools, at least top 20.

But u may want to explain for the GRE score, especially the quan. Top schools normally do not pay

much attention to the verbal part, but they do care for quan. score since u r going to intensively involve with

mathematics.