Acting MFA—How much experience is needed?

HopingForMFA

Hello, all.

I'm currently finishing my undergraduate degree in English Lit & Communications. I was unable to get my undergraduate degree in performance and theater but that is the trajectory that I would like my life to go on. 

I have recently started self-producing community shows in order to have the arts play a more prevalent role in my community. Eventually, I would like to get my MFA but I currently do not have any professional credits to my name. Are those needed for an MFA applicant to be seriously considered or are schools just looking to see experience and commitment in the field?

(I am aware that there is another thread very similar to this one, but it was posted in 2013 so I figured it was time to start a new one.)

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

MFA Photography offers you a rare opportunity for extended study and practice over two years at Masters level. I am in the profession of modeling working as glamour models,So i have basic informaion about MFA. A distinctive feature of this course is the development of a high level of professional and research-based knowledge on the subject of photography. This will give you a unique perspective which will enable you to be successful in this internationally expanding field.

MFA Photography offers you a rare opportunity for extended study and practice over two years at Masters level. - See more at: http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/mfa-photography#sthash.8tFdzL09.dpuf
MFA Photography offers you a rare opportunity for extended study and practice over two years at Masters level. - See more at: http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/mfa-photography#sthash.8tFdzL09.dpuf

I work in a theatre connected with a well-respected Acting MFA program.  From what I've seen, the amount of experience students have varies quite a bit.  Some of the students are admitted to the program directly from undergrad, with only educational acting credits. Some are admitted after having been out of school for years.  These students often have some professional credits, usually small regional theatres, off-off broadway, and occasionally off-broadway.  From what I've seen, the faculty is looking for talent first and foremost, as well as dedication, a strong theatre background, and a clear desire to pursue a professional acting career.  Strong letters of recommendation are a big help in this field.  

• 4 months later...

Most students have studied acting at a top NY conservatory before being admitted to a top MFA.  Getting an MFA in acting is really only worth the time and money if you go to a top school.  If you want to be an actor study with Terry Knickerbocker - http://terryknickerbockerstudio.com/.  I turned down a spot at a top 10 MFA to study with Terry.  Good luck to you!

• 3 years later...

Bumping this topic as I'm in a similar position. Anyone have thoughts on this?

@directeur's post says experience isn't as important as "dedication, a strong theatre background, and a clear desire to pursue a professional acting career" – but what are those things if not experience? My assumption is that by "dedication to acting as a career," programs aren't asking for an essay that says "I know I want to act" but are rather looking for an extensive and impressive resume.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

On 11/20/2018 at 7:06 AM, Indecisive Poet said:

Bumping this topic as I'm in a similar position. Anyone have thoughts on this?

@directeur's post says experience isn't as important as "dedication, a strong theatre background, and a clear desire to pursue a professional acting career" – but what are those things if not experience? My assumption is that by "dedication to acting as a career," programs aren't asking for an essay that says "I know I want to act" but are rather looking for an extensive and impressive resume.

Hi! So I hope to be of assistance to you in this matter. I will say that in the interim between auditioning for programs I actually started producing my own work regularly/started my own fringe company (we are currently in season three). We produce about three to four shows a year, one of which is my city's Shakespeare in the Park event. I have also been involved in smaller, but well-known regional festivals and larger, internationally recognized festivals as well as limited runs with smaller companies. But I was worried these credentials don't necessarily come off as "professional" enough, ie. how do I stack against the kids who have been able to work in Equity houses already?

I spoke to someone that graduated from Yale Drama and she said that the notion of professionalism they inspire is so that the applicant understands the, for lack of a better word, seriousness of what they're getting ijnto. You don't need to show them Equity credits, but you do need to show them that you're working and you want to learn more. A mentor of mine who has an MFA from Rutgers (directing) says when he was in grad school, actors got in having only ever acted in school credits; which, admittedly, made me feel better. So I really do think it varies and your commitment/what you bring to your statement and your audition are tops. 

14 hours ago, HopingForMFA said:

Hi! So I hope to be of assistance to you in this matter. I will say that in the interim between auditioning for programs I actually started producing my own work regularly/started my own fringe company (we are currently in season three). We produce about three to four shows a year, one of which is my city's Shakespeare in the Park event. I have also been involved in smaller, but well-known regional festivals and larger, internationally recognized festivals as well as limited runs with smaller companies. But I was worried these credentials don't necessarily come off as "professional" enough, ie. how do I stack against the kids who have been able to work in Equity houses already?

I spoke to someone that graduated from Yale Drama and she said that the notion of professionalism they inspire is so that the applicant understands the, for lack of a better word, seriousness of what they're getting ijnto. You don't need to show them Equity credits, but you do need to show them that you're working and you want to learn more. A mentor of mine who has an MFA from Rutgers (directing) says when he was in grad school, actors got in having only ever acted in school credits; which, admittedly, made me feel better. So I really do think it varies and your commitment/what you bring to your statement and your audition are tops. 

This is great information (and reassuring) – and thanks for the info you shared on the other thread as well. As of now, all I'd have would be school credits, so I think I'd need another year at least to get involved with some regional stuff and festivals if I were to seriously consider applying.

Do you know anything about what's expected in the way of acting classes? I've read that while it's fine to not have an undergraduate degree in theater, it is expected that you've taken acting classes somewhere, even extra-university.

12 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

This is great information (and reassuring) – and thanks for the info you shared on the other thread as well. As of now, all I'd have would be school credits, so I think I'd need another year at least to get involved with some regional stuff and festivals if I were to seriously consider applying.

Do you know anything about what's expected in the way of acting classes? I've read that while it's fine to not have an undergraduate degree in theater, it is expected that you've taken acting classes somewhere, even extra-university.

That I've never heard, so I can't speak to that. I would be interested in hearing where you read that, though.