School psychology in North America

coldplate

Hi everyone,

As I prepare my applications for 2016 (which I'm starting to find programs now and want to start my personal statements by June/July), I'm starting to explore more on school psychology as I'm interested to work with children (always had, especially the younger one). I have a 3.6/4.0 for my last 2 years in undergraduate and about a 80/100 (A-) cumulative. I have experience currently volunteering in the crisis line center and am also completing a peer counseling certificate program in progress (not sure if that'll help). For summer I'm looking to land a volunteer RA position at a research lab to give me some research experience.

I'm mainly looking for school psychology MASTERS program in North America. I am looking for some suggestions for good programs (from good ones, to decent ones that aren't too hard to get in). I was told I have an advantage (at least in Canada) because school psychology programs are primarily dominated by females and hence they have a strong demand for males.

Would anyone be able to suggest programs? I know US is accredited by NASP and Canada by CASP.

Thanks in advance

Been looking at Canadian schools like UBC and SFU. Definitely interested in the UBC one as it prepares you to become licensed and practice as a professional afterwards. I also see an educational psychology program in SFU but it doesn't seem to offer the same career path/outcomes as the UBC program.

Can anyone shed some light on school psychology masters in Canada?

well, i do a lot of work in the Department of Educational & Counselling Psychology & Special Ed @UBC and i think it's a pretty cool program. 

still, i'd be a little bit suspicious about that claim of "i'd have an advantage because i'm a guy". i'd focus more on other aspects of your application because getting in is pretty darn competitive, but i can ask. 

• 2 weeks later...

Look for specific accreditation standards. The accreditation shows how rigorous the program is nationally, and will hope more marketability after graduation.  For instance, CACREP is a counseling accreditation (also for Mental Health: School Counseling), not sure about specific school psychology accreditation, however.