Comm Disorders Post-bacc Programs: Chapman vs. CSUFullerton

Hello!

I just received acceptance letters from Chapman and CSUF's post-bacc communicative disorders program for this upcoming Fall 2015 and  I couldn't be happier!  However, I need to commit to one place within the next week and a half and I'm having trouble finding information about these two programs.  Even though I know some of the differences, I don't have a lot of insight into how it actually feels to be in the program.   For Chapman, I know it's different from CSUF because of it's cohort style, classes Friday and Saturday, no guaranteed acceptance to their Master's program, and perks of being a private school.  And, I've heard that CSUF's program can sometimes be impacted and it can be difficult to get all the classes but that the CSUF's Masters in Comm Disorders accepts a good handful of CSUF post-bacc students.  I'm not sure where I want to apply/go to Grad school yet, but it is important for me to choose a post-bacc program where it's possible to get pretty much a 4.0 and as many grad school acceptances as possible.

If anyone had any insight on either of these two post-bacc programs, please feel free to comment! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated:)

I do PM me if you have specific questions about Fullerton's.  Also Chapman is faster paced so may be more difficult to maintain A's (only depending on your learning style).  I think it is only one or two faster classes at a time so it probably evens out.  Also call Chapman and ask them about the grades they need to maintain, one of my teacher's works there and if you get a particular grade they kick you out. 

Hopefully it wouldn't happen either way but if it did it would be nice to finish all your other classes and re-take the one you may not have done so well in.  I am trying to remember what the grade was maybe a B-?  Which isn't awesome in this major anyway but if you have all A's otherwise it would balance out GPA wise.

I don't know any other details on Chapman though!

I've also been accepted to CSUF's postbacc! On a side note, do you know when the deadline is to accept the offer?

I'm still waiting on CSULA so would like to have my options open and not have to pay a $250 deposit.

I've also been accepted to CSUF's postbacc! On a side note, do you know when the deadline is to accept the offer?

I'm still waiting on CSULA so would like to have my options open and not have to pay a $250 deposit.

I just got my acceptance to csuf post bac as well- you have two weeks from the day your letter is posted to accept. I contacted CSULA and they said "applications are being reviewed" right now, who knows how long that will take.

I've also heard that csuf is very compacted and takes more than one year to finish BUT that they favor their own students more than chapman might. My friend did chapman's post bac and was accepted to their graduate. She loved it! But it pretty much consumed her life.

Best of luck in whatever you both decide!

I've had no issues ever getting classes.  As long as you try to follow the recommended class order you should be find.  Mine have not been impacted.  That being said they are often offered at only one time and you may have to drive to campus a lot.  Mine have all been 3 days next semester looking at 5 days unless I take one online somewhere else over summer.

They run Fall, Spring, Fall.  So it is not continuous classes.  The only classes they offer over summer are the lower division ones you would take your first semester OR you can pay a TON extra to do them early the summer before your post-bacc begins.

Hope that clarifies a little how it works there!

I'm finishing up at Chapman and would be happy to answer any of your questions. If you get a B- or under it is correct that you are kicked out of the program. It is fast paced but it's definitely a benefit to get all the prereqs you need done in 10 months. And I am currently working full-time and feel that it is manageable (difficult but not as bad as I anticipated). Also, I like that it is a small cohort that you stay with the whole program and the faculty really walks you through the process. You are guaranteed classes which is nice. Also, as far as Chapman accepting their own students into the Master's program-in my cohort of about 30 students, I think about 5 students were accepted (and a lot of students in my cohort didn't even apply to Chapman and are taking a year off). So I do believe they give some preference to their own students if you do a good job and get recommendations from the faculty. I also think another benefit of Chapman is that you are offered the opportunity to take two extra classes at the end of the program and become licensed as a SLPA which is something to think about. 

Let me know if I can help with anything else and feel free to PM me! Good luck guys :)

I just got my acceptance to csuf post bac as well- you have two weeks from the day your letter is posted to accept. I contacted CSULA and they said "applications are being reviewed" right now, who knows how long that will take.

I've also heard that csuf is very compacted and takes more than one year to finish BUT that they favor their own students more than chapman might. My friend did chapman's post bac and was accepted to their graduate. She loved it! But it pretty much consumed her life.

Best of luck in whatever you both decide!

I contacted Dr. Tsao through email and she says the deadline to accept is July 1st. where are you getting that it's 2 weeks from letter posting? :o