SocialWork@Simmons VS. MSW@USC

Jillion

I am trying to decide between attending these two programs. Both are CSWE accredited online programs. 

I am currently leaning towards Simmons because even though it is an online program (full-time is only 1yr. 4mo.) I will still have the opportunity to have two field placements, whereas USC's online program has a virtual platform to practice field placement and then only one actual placement in the field.  

After graduation, my ideal job would be a high school counselor. Both have concentrations with Families and Children, but USC has a school setting sub-concentration. I am still interested in having an experience working in a hospital or adoption agency though.

Any thoughts on attending a bigger name like USC versus having two field placements?

Also, if anyone is currently or has attended an online MSW program I'd love to hear about your experience in general.

Thanks!

Having 2 field placements will give you a lot more experience which is really important to employers. In the field of social work experience matters more than the school because as long as they are accedidated, they follow a similar curriculum. Seems like Simmons will give you more experience, you will graduate sooner so you can start working sooner and it is still a very respectable school.

How do the programs compare in cost?

I'm partial to Simmons. Have you spoken to a field representative about placement options in your state? Socialwork2015 was spot on about the actual experience piece. It's interesting that USC has that sub speciality though. Simmons students/alum have the opportunity to be in school settings both years. there is also a School SW licensure that you can get concurrent with your MSW if your located in MA. Just food for thought.

Since you did ask for thoughts, I'd personally go with the less expensive option. I will leave it at that. I hope others chime in who can speak to the online education experience!

I am trying to decide between attending these two programs. Both are CSWE accredited online programs. 

I am currently leaning towards Simmons because even though it is an online program (full-time is only 1yr. 4mo.) I will still have the opportunity to have two field placements, whereas USC's online program has a virtual platform to practice field placement and then only one actual placement in the field.  

After graduation, my ideal job would be a high school counselor. Both have concentrations with Families and Children, but USC has a school setting sub-concentration. I am still interested in having an experience working in a hospital or adoption agency though.

Any thoughts on attending a bigger name like USC versus having two field placements?

Also, if anyone is currently or has attended an online MSW program I'd love to hear about your experience in general.

Thanks!

I would think that the more field experience you can get the better. From my experience,advice from LCSW/MSW's/professors, etc those in social work do not so much care about where you got the degree but more about the hands on experience.

Jillion- you've got me thinking about the program at Simmons. Did they offer you any financial aid? If you start in Sept 2015 when do you graduate? How was the application process? I've been accepted to usc (on campus, not online) but I can't stomach the cost. They are practically selling the degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Jillion- you've got me thinking about the program at Simmons. Did they offer you any financial aid? If you start in Sept 2015 when do you graduate? How was the application process? I've been accepted to usc (on campus, not online) but I can't stomach the cost. They are practically selling the degree.

Simmons doesn't offer scholarships for this program so I'm applying for FAFSA. I'll be doing the Full-time 6-term program so I'll finish up in Aug. 2017. 

I would think that the more field experience you can get the better. From my experience,advice from LCSW/MSW's/professors, etc those in social work do not so much care about where you got the degree but more about the hands on experience.

Thanks for your input! It has helped with my decision.

Edited by Jillion

I'm partial to Simmons. Have you spoken to a field representative about placement options in your state? Socialwork2015 was spot on about the actual experience piece. It's interesting that USC has that sub speciality though. Simmons students/alum have the opportunity to be in school settings both years. there is also a School SW licensure that you can get concurrent with your MSW if your located in MA. Just food for thought.

Since you did ask for thoughts, I'd personally go with the less expensive option. I will leave it at that. I hope others chime in who can speak to the online education experience!

Thanks for your comment. I'd be interested in hearing about how your experience at Simmons compares to mine once we start in the Fall. Since I recently accepted, I'll now be able to talk to a field advisor to ask about options. The only thing is I'll be living close to another big SW program, so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue competing with them. 

• 1 month later...

I have just applied for Simmons College MSW online program as well. I have been going back and forth between Simmons and Widener, and as soon as I think I have decided, I change my mind. I almost hope I get rejected from one and accepted to the other so I do not have to decide. I love them both.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Simmons will be around $64,500 while USC is around $91,000.

I would vote Simmons on cost alone.  I didn't look at cost nearly enough and the difference between the two is almost a first year social worker's salary.  It's crazy to take out 91K in loans when you'll be making a social work salary.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!!

I am currently looking into several MSW programs Online. I was considering Boston University, Simmons and Widener. Is anybody currently enrolled in an online MSW in any of these schools? Can you share your experience?

I really like the coursework in Boston University and it's nationally ranked as a #16 in the nation, but I am not sure about the synchronous format. Widener, on the other hand, has asynchronous format, but really low national ranking. Do you think it matters? And Simmons seems to be a little more expensive, but doesn't seem to have scholarships? 

Any info, advise, opinion will be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Julia

I have just applied for Simmons College MSW online program as well. I have been going back and forth between Simmons and Widener, and as soon as I think I have decided, I change my mind. I almost hope I get rejected from one and accepted to the other so I do not have to decide. I love them both.

Hi Christy!

Any word on where you got accepted yet? :) Which one did you pick? What were your reasons for choosing these two schools? I am also looking at both of them, as well as Boston University! Can you share your experience? Any advice?

Thank you!

• 11 months later...