Retaking a course not just for the grade ?

Hello, just wondering if anyone has ever retook a course in which they received a B+. I was looking into doing this in the fall, less for the grade and more to get my face back into the program and involved with the professors. I would be doing this at the college I received my undergrad CMDS degree a few years prior. I'm looking to apply in Feb for the graduate program there but since it's been so long since I've seen the professors I'm not sure if they would even remember me. I feel like if I retake a course it would give them a better picture of who I am and I would feel more comfortable asking for LOR. Please let me know your thoughts!

Honestly, I think you would be better of simple being open with your professors. Something like "I am applying to graduate school. I had you a few years ago, enjoyed your class and got a grade of --, would you be willing to write me a good letter of recommendation? I don't know if you remember me but I can provide examples of my best work, cv, transcript, etc. Is there anything I could or should do to make the letter more personal?" Student are often very shy about asking for letter of rec but you situation is actually quite common and professors most likely are very familiar with it. It is part of their job to mentor and yes, provide letter of rec to students. 

However, if you are really set on retaking a course consider the following:

1. Can you audit it? (sit in and participate but not get credit nor pay tuition, maybe a small fee depending upon unveristy)

2. If you already graduated you will likely have to reapply/go through some process even if its not to become a fully matriculated undergrad

3. Often if you retake a course, you must petition and obtain written permission from an adviser to enroll, usually students argue why the will succeed the second time, arguing that you want to get to better know a prof for a letter of recommendation when you already graduated and got a B+ is likely not a great argument (but I'm not saying they won't allow you)

4. Considering the money/time do you think the time investment is equal to the pay off? I honestly think it would be better to start off by simple asking a prof for a letter of recommendation, you can follow up or in the original message ask if they think it would help them write one if you retook the class

5. Does your department have an advisor? Can you reach out to them with this question and see that he/she thinks? 

Just my input, hope it helps, best of luck and do what feel right for you

Most colleges allow people to sign up for 1 or 2 graduate classes as a "non-degree seeking" student. My professor recommended doing this as a way to not only get back in front of your professors, but also as a way to prove yourself as a potential successful graduate student. I think this would be a more useful way to go about getting positive LORs. Either way though, I think it's great advice to just reach out to a couple of your professors and reintroduce yourself before taking another class.

Thank you all for the super useful advice. I will definitely be emailing professors about my situation before jumping into retaking a course. I always feel bothersome doing this but it is their job and I have to keep that in mind. Taking a grad course also seems like a great idea, I hope my school will allow me to do this. Thanks again :)

I am retaking two classes within my major where I got B-'s. My advisor (who was the professor of one of them) thought it was a good idea, as long as I was absolutely POSITIVE that I would do better in them the second time around. 

@HopefulFutureSLP2016 thanks for the advice! When I was in my undergrad I was told to retake a B- also but when I asked the professor about retaking a B+ she said it wasn't worth it. This left me super stressed because I think I have way too many B+'s which I believe to be a super annoying grade to have because it's not good enough to get in but not low enough to retake (according to my professors). I really want to get my face back in the program more than anything, so I inquired about taking a graduate course so we'll see if that's possible for this fall. I've heard that even that might not help but I'm willing to try anything as this will be my final time applying.