Med Anthro/Interdisciplinary

phdwannabe

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge of which anthro phd programs specialize in medical anthropology? Looking at rankings of various anthropology programs doesn't really give much information about the relative merits of their offerings in medical anthropology. Some programs are explicitly in "Medical Anthropology", whereas others seem to have a "focus" in med anthro or a concurrent MPH with an Anthro phd. I don't want to limit myself to programs that are explicitly in med anthro, as long as there are faculty with research interests similar to mine. I'm interested in mental health and psychiatry, among other things.

I've also recently learned about the HASTS program at MIT. Does anyone know of any similar interdisciplinary programs that incorporate anthro? I like their focus on science/technology.

I appreciate any advice!! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Waay too late for this year, but I hope this will be informative...

Programs that I've heard of with a strong emphasis on Medical Anthropology (sometimes jointly with Science and Technology Studies)

Harvard

UC Berkeley

Princeton

Johsn Hopkins

MIT

Columbia

NYU

WUSTL

Yale

UC Irvine

UC Los Angeles

McGill

UC San Diego has a strong program in psychological anthro

U of Michigan, I think?

U of Southern California has a strong emphasis in med sociology

I found out about most of these schools through readings. I've applied to 7 of them based on match, have been accepted to one and am excruciatingly waiting to hear from the others...

If you want more info, I can give you names of faculty specialized in med anthr at most programs.

Good luch to you if you applied!

On 9/23/2009 at 11:29 AM, phdwannabe said:

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge of which anthro phd programs specialize in medical anthropology? Looking at rankings of various anthropology programs doesn't really give much information about the relative merits of their offerings in medical anthropology. Some programs are explicitly in "Medical Anthropology", whereas others seem to have a "focus" in med anthro or a concurrent MPH with an Anthro phd. I don't want to limit myself to programs that are explicitly in med anthro, as long as there are faculty with research interests similar to mine. I'm interested in mental health and psychiatry, among other things.

I've also recently learned about the HASTS program at MIT. Does anyone know of any similar interdisciplinary programs that incorporate anthro? I like their focus on science/technology.

I appreciate any advice!! Thanks!

Yes, it's a joint UCSF/UC Berkeley PhD program.

UCB accepts 2 to 3 students each year, UCSF about 10 every other year (and was open for adm this year) but you can only apply to one side.

Stefania Pandolfo, Nancy Scheper-Hughes, Cory Hayden, Lawrence Cohen and Paul Rabinow are at UCB... Vincanne Adams is on the UCSF side.

It's a well regarded program, known for a certain degree of political engagement (Scheper-Hughes started "organ watch" for example)

I seem to recall that UCSF offer a doctoral degree specifically in medical anthropology (I believe Bourgois was a faculty member until he moved to UPenn). I have no idea as to how the program is regarded though.

Yes, it's a joint UCSF/UC Berkeley PhD program.

UCB accepts 2 to 3 students each year, UCSF about 10 every other year (and was open for adm this year) but you can only apply to one side.

Stefania Pandolfo, Nancy Scheper-Hughes, Cory Hayden, Lawrence Cohen and Paul Rabinow are at UCB... Vincanne Adams is on the UCSF side.

It's a well regarded program, known for a certain degree of political engagement (Scheper-Hughes started "organ watch" for example)

Charles Briggs is @ Berkeley too

Hey- I just applied to medical anthro programs/schools with med anthro focus. I applied to: Yale, Princeton, UC Berkeley, UCLA, U Chicago, Harvard, and Stanford. I think the best advice is to look for programs with faculty that match your specific med anth interest, or who have med anth faculty specializing in your region of study. I focus on China, so I had to cut out some schools that had no one in that region (although I still applied to a few of them because of their general med anth strength). Best of luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!

Does anyone know anything about Boston Uni. Medical Anthropology department? It looks pretty awesome, and I like that the chair of the department has a focus towards alternative medicine (that's what I'm in grad school for now, but to practice)...