Reading suggestions

Hi!

Starting my MA in English and Comparative Literature in the Fall, and wanted some suggestions for summer reading. I haven't been in school for a few years and I feel really unprepared. I'd like to read some books on literary theory, as well as some fiction. What do you think is really essential reading for the current literature graduate student?

I mean, this depends. What're you interested in? What is your field? What concerns do you want to engage in your coursework? An obvious answer is to tell you to go read The Norton Anthology of Literary Criticism, if you really don't know where to start with anything, but idk how useful that would be to you. 

I would just focus on the classics, especially those in the time period that interests you the most. Before I started my program I tried to read books that somehow I was never assigned as an undergrad (admittedly, a theatre undergrad) -- The Grapes of Wrath; McTeague; some Dickens, Austen, etc. As far as criticism goes, I would hold off if I were you. It's hard to jump in without someone giving you the basics and you shouldn't feel behind if you wait.

And I will give you the opposite advice and say this: you will be reading for work for the next two years. Why not read for fun this summer? 

I agree! Just relax. Everything that you need to read during your MA program will take care of itself in course assignments. Maybe just re-familiarize yourself with the latest version of MLA? And no offense to the person who suggested it, but I personally would not like to "pleasure read" the Norton Anthology of Criticism. Just looking at that devilish white book makes me want to vomit. 

I'll step onto the side of the "academic" readers. Before I started my MA, I read a couple beginner's guides to lit theory and I felt like the very broad summaries helped me to grasp the details when we later discussed them in class. It really helped to have the background when it came to class discussions, not only because I wasn't busy engaging with the ideas for the first time but I was able to help lead the conversation to a greater degree. (Of course, as you'll find, these generalized summaries tend to drain extremely complex fields and theories of any subtlety and the contradictions and raging debates therein, but those you can find out by engaging with your colleagues in class discussions.)

This is the one my program used and I found it rather accessible: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008N7Q2SQ/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

One thing that I wished I did was read a couple of the most recent articles in my field of interest. I was very interested in queer theory but started from ground zero instead of knowing what were the most up-to-date and relevant discussions. 

All that being said, I've elected to do way more pleasure reading this summer--about 2 contemporary novels to 1 theory work. It's been rejuvenating!

Edited by 1Q84

I'm torn; I can see the merits of both sets of advice.

(Meaning that I had planned to read two articles and work on my languages yesterday, and streamed an entire season of Downton Abbey instead.)

I've been reading Stephenson's Seveneves, but I was roped in to applying for a sci-fi conference with a good friend so knowing the genre as a whole is good, right? 

OP, pleasure reading right now is a good idea. If you are going to work-read, maybe only work-read books that you are reasonably sure that you'll enjoy? 

And I will give you the opposite advice and say this: you will be reading for work for the next two years. Why not read for fun this summer? 

hahaha! Agreed. I really enjoyed reading 19th classics before starting my program so it was pleasure reading for me. But now that I've been doing heavy reading over the fall/winter it is nice to just pick up a beach read instead. 

Edited by Mattie Roh