Resources on Grad School Admissions Stats

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to take the GRE around September to apply to grad school in the fall (Anthropology). I've been scouring the internet trying to get information on grad school's GRE stats- why is there so little information out there about what kind of people get into certain schools (based on their GRE score) ? Magoosh has been the most helpful, and I've learned a little about some schools, but a lot are excluded. They seem to favor the ivy leagues and other top tier schools.

I need to know what's realistic for me to look at. I haven't taken a diagnostic yet, but based on my initial studying and evaluating how many questions I get right, I get about 85-90% of the verbal and reading comprehension right, and I get about 30% right for quantitative- I've literally cried during study sessions for the quant because I just can't remember basic middle school and high school math.

My weakness for the quant will likely cripple my score, even if I improve dramatically. I'm not getting into Washington University, Chicago, or Berkeley like I dream- I need some resources on what schools are reasonable for me to aim for.

If you have any resources to these kinds of stats, I would be so appreciative. 

Don't get so disheartened already! You have plenty of time to improve on your quant, so get working! Also, the GRE doesn't make the full package, you'll have your undergrad performance, SOP, research/publications, and LORs to boost you even if you don't get a 160+ quant score. Just work hard at it and hope for the best. :)

The results search could give you an idea of the kind of applicants that get accepted: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=anthropology&t=a&o=&p=1

You'll also find less information (and less useful information) because GRE scores are a much less important part of graduate admissions than, say, ACT/SAT scores are for undergraduate admission.

The primary importance is your statement/letters of rec, followed by transcript/CV followed by GRE scores.

If the rest of your application is competitive enough for a top program, I think you should apply regardless of your GRE score. Some places don't care much about the GRE, or would be willing to overlook it if the rest of the application is strong. Don't let this one factor dictate where you apply.

Try contacting current students at the institutions you mentioned and see if they will share some information with you. You might be surprised by the GRE scores some people are accepted with. They are not really the most important piece of your application. Mine sucked and I got in, but I'm in a different field.

Try contacting current students at the institutions you mentioned and see if they will share some information with you. You might be surprised by the GRE scores some people are accepted with. They are not really the most important piece of your application. Mine sucked and I got in, but I'm in a different field.

Contact current students, sure, but I would strongly advice against asking them what their GRE scores or average GRE scores are. They either won't know, estimates will be off, or they will think you're worried about/interested in the wrong things.