Extended Masters Programs

I'm currently in the military and 10 classes away from completing a B.A. in psychology (plan to have it completed by summer 2016, currently maintaining a 3.8 GPA). I've been weighing my options as far as what to do during these next three or four years that I plan on staying in the military.

The way I see it, I can 1) Apply to an online Pre-SLP program to start immediately following completion of my Bachelor's next year in which case I'll also be studying for/taking the GRE, and applying to SLP grad programs before I get out. Or I can 2) Just stop after my Bachelor's, study for and take the GRE, then apply to extended three-year programs when I'm closer to being a civilian again. I'll add that my husband and I plan on moving back home to California after I get out so I'll only be applying to programs in California. A couple of schools that I know have extended Master's programs are Loma Linda University and San Jose State University.

My husband plans on going back to school next year and we also want to work on a second baby soon so I worry that trying to knock out 10-12 pre-req courses, study for and get a high score on the GRE, while also doing everything else required for the applications process will be a bit much to knock out over the next few years.

Are extended programs more difficult to get into or less difficult? Can anyone tell me about their experience or why they would/wouldn't do an extended program? Any other suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated!

Edited by DeliBean

Some extended master's programs want to see at least a few CSD courses completed prior to your application. I don't know whether the school you're getting your psychology degree from has any CSD courses but if they do, it might be a good idea to take them.

Cal State Northridge has an online post-bacc that guarantees admission to the master's if you maintain a certain GPA.

Some extended master's programs want to see at least a few CSD courses completed prior to your application. I don't know whether the school you're getting your psychology degree from has any CSD courses but if they do, it might be a good idea to take them.

Cal State Northridge has an online post-bacc that guarantees admission to the master's if you maintain a certain GPA.

Last I checked, the GPA you need for automatic entry into the Master's program at CSUN is 4.0.

This is no joke, based on the online courses I have taken thus far at CSUN - I managed a 4.0 in my regular and online classes, but it wasn't easy. For reference, I was a 4.0 Biology major with a Physics minor in my previous life. The GPA requirement is tough not necessarily bcz the information is difficult to learn but because the way you submit your assignments and have to follow every rule to the "t" makes it challenging. My classmates and I used to joke about who had read the instructions for each online assignment the most - ten times or more was not uncommon. Ridiculous, right???

Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, the current school I'm attending doesn't offer CSD courses but I'll specifically look for this requirement with the schools I want to apply to and try to take them at a local community college if I can.

Last I checked, the GPA you need for automatic entry into the Master's program at CSUN is 4.0.

This is no joke, based on the online courses I have taken thus far at CSUN - I managed a 4.0 in my regular and online classes, but it wasn't easy. For reference, I was a 4.0 Biology major with a Physics minor in my previous life. The GPA requirement is tough not necessarily bcz the information is difficult to learn but because the way you submit your assignments and have to follow every rule to the "t" makes it challenging. My classmates and I used to joke about who had read the instructions for each online assignment the most - ten times or more was not uncommon. Ridiculous, right???

Best of luck to you!

I've been to CSUN's website and am somewhat familar with their requirements. Not to sell myself short but I'm not too sure that I'd be able to pull off a 4.0 thought I won't say I wouldn't try. I'm currently taking classes online since with my crazy schedule, it's the only way I could finish my degree so I'm at least familiar with the online format. If I do end up applying to online post-bac programs, CSUN will definitely be one of them. Thank you!

Edited by DeliBean

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, the current school I'm attending doesn't offer CSD courses but I'll specifically look for this requirement with the schools I want to apply to and try to take them at a local community college if I can.

Check to see if any of the classes in other departments (psychology, human biology, linguistics, education, etc.) have similar enough content to the CSD courses. I took a language development class as part of my psych degree and while I didn't personally take them, the linguistics department offered phonetics and language science.

• 5 years later...

Commenting just to provide updated advice:

ASHA edfind has a tool that allows you to search for programs that don't require prerequisites. There are 46 (out of 298):

http://find.asha.org/ed/#sort=relevancy&f:@degreeprogram=[Master's Degree in Speech-Language Pathology]&f:@offerings=[Prerequisites not required for admission]

There are many schools that have extended three year programs, and for some of those you wouldn't have to take any prerequisites before applying to the grad program! The prerequisites are usually just built in, which is why these programs tend to be 3 years instead of the usual 2.

The difference between doing this and going through a prerequisite program is that you are already admitted to the grad program while you complete those prereqs, so you don't have to worry about sinking an entire year of tuition into a leveling program that might not pan out when you actually start applying to grad schools. Additionally, if you're dependent on student aid, it can get a little tricky for some prerequisite programs if they do not offer a degree or certificate - you'd have to be enrolled in a "degree-seeking" program to qualify for some types of financial aid. You'd avoid this in a grad program that includes the prerequisites.