2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

1 hour ago, brainsandeggs said:

Hey thats awesome! I've never been to Providence before so I'm really looking forward to getting to know the program. In my SOP I found three faculty that I really was excited about : Julie Kauer, Kevin Bath, and John Marshall - but the director told me to look over the faculty again and let him know who I would want to meet with so I'm going to go over everything again with a fine- toothed comb. Any suggestions from your experience there? 

John Marshall worked in the lab adjacent to mine! [I worked with Wayne Bowen who does sigma receptors]; the main thing I remembered about him was the Italian visiting scientist in his lab that was always there after hours haha. Providence is a small city, so there isn't as much to do in the city itself compared to nearby Boston(which is one hour away), but Brown campus always has something going on. There are theater shows, small concerts by musical groups etc every weekend. The grad community isn't massive so I think you would get more personalized attention.

2 hours ago, peachypie said:

I got into plenty of schools without talking to/contacting a professor beforehand.  Although a nice tough I don't think it puts you in either category of "definitely not admitted if you didn't" or "definitely interviewed if you did".  What is done is done, move on and concentrate on your upcoming interviews; right now those are WAY more important than waiting to be invited.

Thanks @peachypie for the reassurance, really needed that from someone who's been through the cycle before :D. I actually keep telling myself the same thing, but two things keep popping in my face regularly for me to ignore the importance of contacting a PI beforehand:

1) This might just be my case, but so far from all the people I've talked to currently in top 10 programs, i've heard NO one who's gotten in without contacting a PI there beforehand. Have you? Again, you're probably more experienced, some examples would be reassuring :)

2) Of all the applicants who've told me of an enthusiastic response from the professor to their introductory emails (apparently research matched closely with the professor's), 100% have gotten an interview, even with less than spectacular stats.

3 hours ago, peachypie said:

Always want to go to the first if it is a top pick for you.  Here is the thing, acceptances after interview go out shortly after a visit.  This means that if a place has multiple weekends they put their top recruits in the first set and will extend invites often before the next set.  If you have to do a  makeup or alternate weekend it is BY NO MEANS a death sentence, but trust me you want to hit your top picks as early as you can or as close to the official invite so that when the committee meets to make decisions you are on the short list.

Thank you so much for this though - it would be kind of a consolation if I don't get Harvard or MIT, since I got the first weekend invites for both my invites so far. I totlly didnt think that they'd extend invites even before the next set??! :o That's it then, as you said, I totally need to concentrate on blowing them away in the interview. Need 'em offers :angry:

PS: I'm beyond sure the Harvard immuno invite poster was fake. Whoever you are, this is not done sir. You do not get to play at times when emotions are running high.

I just got an interview offer to one of my top programs! I couldn't hold back from telling everyone, but I'll have some restraint and not announce the program until someone else says they've gotten invited too.

I'm so freaking happy though AH :lol:

Someone just posted a Yale BBS MCGD track invitation via email. Is this true? Most people have reported phone calls from this program and since they started on Sunday I thought they would be done by now. I still want to have hope! 

2 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

Thanks @peachypie for the reassurance, really needed that from someone who's been through the cycle before :D. I actually keep telling myself the same thing, but two things keep popping in my face regularly for me to ignore the importance of contacting a PI beforehand:

1) This might just be my case, but so far from all the people I've talked to currently in top 10 programs, i've heard NO one who's gotten in without contacting a PI there beforehand. Have you? Again, you're probably more experienced, some examples would be reassuring :)

2) Of all the applicants who've told me of an enthusiastic response from the professor to their introductory emails (apparently research matched closely with the professor's), 100% have gotten an interview, even with less than spectacular stats.

Thank you so much for this though - it would be kind of a consolation if I don't get Harvard or MIT, since I got the first weekend invites for both my invites so far. I totlly didnt think that they'd extend invites even before the next set??! :o That's it then, as you said, I totally need to concentrate on blowing them away in the interview. Need 'em offers :angry:

PS: I'm beyond sure the Harvard immuno invite poster was fake. Whoever you are, this is not done sir. You do not get to play at times when emotions are running high.

1.  I can't speak to it since I don't know of any examples but I myself got into at least top 20 schools without prior contact. 

2.  I think that it is fair that people with good research matches get interviews, for the obvious reasons.  People who don't have good research fits in general aren't going to get an interview regardless of talking to others.

Again, this is beyond what is going on right now.  All you need is ONE school.  You have interviews and that is more than a lot of people can say at this point.  You also, I would assume, have interviews at schools you would be happy to go with.  There is no golden rule to getting into grad school otehr than taking the time to research a school and find a good fit that is right for you, applying, and doing well in the application process. 

I went to schools that literally told me they'd be meeting the days after the interview and extending invites.  I received formal acceptances before the next weekend and they had two more weekend invites.  I was told at some schools that being in the first weekend meant they were most interested in us.  All schools are different but they do FOR a fact, accept and offer prior to interviewing everyone. 

Best of luck, please let me know if you have any more questions would be happy to give my two cents from the other side.

17 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

Obviously BME/BioE is a whole different ball game from Biology, but I do have a friend who is currently in a Top 10 BME program and did not contact any POIs during his application process. It made me feel better about not contacting anyone!

Also, I second @peachypie about just needing to get into one school. I just finished my apps a few days ago (later deadlines than this crowd), and I am driving myself nuts with second-guessing and what-ifs. Never mind that I found typos in my personal statement (like writing biomedical engineering for a school whose program is bioengineering) and I keep kicking myself for it. The only thing keeping me sane right now is the reminder that I can do absolutely nothing to change my fate now. I only need to get into one school, and I have a backup plan if that doesn't happen. 

Now just to remind myself of this every hour when I start freaking out again! :P

Edited by Extra Espresso

Thanks @peachypie, that was really helpful and also kinda prepared me for the worst from Harvard. Realized I'm in a much better situation, have much to be thankful to god for, and focus on.

It probably is different @Extra Espresso, but always good to know. Lucky guy, your friend! :D

Edited by Microburritology

20 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I just got an invite to a top 10 program; didn't contact anyone beforehand, not even an admissions secretary.

7 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

Obviously BME/BioE is a whole different ball game from Biology, but I do have a friend who is currently in a Top 10 BME program and did not contact any POIs during his application process. It made me feel better about not contacting anyone!

Also, I second @peachypie about just needing to get into one school. I just finished my apps a few days ago (later deadlines than this crowd), and I am driving myself nuts with second-guessing and what-ifs. Never mind that I found typos in my personal statement (like writing biomedical engineering for a school whose program is bioengineering) and I keep kicking myself for it. The only thing keeping me sane right now is the reminder that I can do absolutely nothing to change my fate now. I only need to get into one school, and I have a backup plan if that doesn't happen. 

Now just to remind myself of this every hour when I start freaking out again! :P

I submitted later than a lot of people (like closer to the deadlines in general) got into all the schools.  Also NEVER go back and read, you'll cringe and hate yourself.  I turn in a grant (don't go back to read) turn in a pub (dont go back and read).  just send it out and revel in ignorance.

1 minute ago, bicsy said:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I just got an invite to a top 10 program; didn't contact anyone beforehand, not even an admissions secretary.

You did??! Well congrats!! And ahhh that feels so much better :lol: Atleast now I'm not totally giving up on my chances at Harvard just coz I didn't reach out to a PI there.

1 minute ago, peachypie said:

Also NEVER go back and read, you'll cringe and hate yourself.  I turn in a grant (don't go back to read) turn in a pub (dont go back and read).  just send it out and revel in ignorance.

I caught one school mistype (left in University XXX's name in University YYY's personal statement) and luckily could still change out my document to the new one in the school's system, so I thought I'd go back and make sure I only made the mistake once. BIG MISTAKE. I ended feeling like my chances of admission were 0%. Never again. I will forever just submit documents and move on. 

Also, I am glad to hear you were successful with submitting closer to deadlines! Again, different program, but I submitted all of mine on the day of the deadline (all documents were in on time, but it was close), so I have my fingers crossed!

43 minutes ago, bicsy said:

I just got an interview offer to one of my top programs! I couldn't hold back from telling everyone, but I'll have some restraint and not announce the program until someone else says they've gotten invited too.

I'm so freaking happy though AH :lol:

If it's harvard immunology (don't know if you applied but whatever) PM MEEEEEE I'm dying over here.

3 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

If it's harvard immunology (don't know if you applied but whatever) PM MEEEEEE I'm dying over here.

Hahaha, I was actually going to add something like "And in case anyone is wondering, no it wasn't Harvard." I did apply there though! (MCO)

49 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

I'm really hoping that the Harvard one was fake.  I'm also hoping that the UCSF immunology track post was fake too.  Everyone who has gotten the invite hasn't been in that track except that one guy on the results.  GRRRRRRRRR.

1 minute ago, bicsy said:

Hahaha, I was actually going to add something like "And in case anyone is wondering, no it wasn't Harvard." I did apply there though! (MCO)

Bless you child, bless you.  (No, really, thank you :D)

3 hours ago, biosci said:

Now feeling bad again about being given the second Yale weekend. :(  

I received the first interview weekend but it conflicts, so I'm going to try and ask for the second.

Don't feel bad. 

So this is kind of off-topic but also kind of relevant. When you all email faculty (whether it's your PI, a POI, or an adcom), do you address them as "Dr. XXX" or "Prof. XXX"? I always have an internal dilemma about this when I email someone new and they are a PhD professor. 

Just now, bicsy said:

So this is kind of off-topic but also kind of relevant. When you all email faculty (whether it's your PI, a POI, or an adcom), do you address them as "Dr. XXX" or "Prof. XXX"? I always have an internal dilemma about this when I email someone new and they are a PhD professor. 

If they are a PhD I say Dr. until they sign their email or I have reason to believe they'd prefer to be called something else.

@Microburritology@biochemgirl67 Hey just wanted to say that I know it's definitely very tense times and by no means want to create any concern but wanted to confirm that I did in fact receive e-mails from UCSF BMS (I applied for immunology track) and Harvard Immunology today (interview weekend Jan 21). My sense though is that they generally send out the e-mails over the course of a couple days. I think someone got UCSF Immunology like a day or two before I did, so there's still hope! In the end always an element of randomness to this whole process. 

Just now, peachypie said:

If they are a PhD I say Dr. until they sign their email or I have reason to believe they'd prefer to be called something else.

Okay good, that's how I've been going about it as well.

1 minute ago, breaker746 said:

@Microburritology@biochemgirl67 Hey just wanted to say that I know it's definitely very tense times and by no means want to create any concern but wanted to confirm that I did in fact receive e-mails from UCSF BMS (I applied for immunology track) and Harvard Immunology today (interview weekend Jan 21). My sense though is that they generally send out the e-mails over the course of a couple days. I think someone got UCSF Immunology like a day or two before I did, so there's still hope! In the end always an element of randomness to this whole process.

Ugh.  Oh well, it's in the hands of the committee now and there's nothing we can do.  I really appreciate your response because sometimes it's hard to tell the people who make trouble from those who are real.  Although I do believe you because that's the interview date they told me today when I called to see if there would be a potential conflict.  What was the date(s) for the UCSF immunology BMS?  These are my only dates I haven't penciled in to anticipate conflicts.  (Not that I have an interview lol)

4 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Ugh.  Oh well, it's in the hands of the committee now and there's nothing we can do.  I really appreciate your response because sometimes it's hard to tell the people who make trouble from those who are real.  Although I do believe you because that's the interview date they told me today when I called to see if there would be a potential conflict.  What was the date(s) for the UCSF immunology BMS?  These are my only dates I haven't penciled in to anticipate conflicts.  (Not that I have an interview lol)

UCSF dates are Jan 21 and Feb 11, but they recommend the Feb 11 weekend for immunology. Stay positive!

Just now, breaker746 said:

UCSF dates are Jan 21 and Feb 11, but they recommend the Feb 11 weekend for immunology. Stay positive!

Haha that's literally the Harvard weekend and the Princeton weekend... whyyyy.  But thank you so much for your help!  It actually gives me more peace of mind to know that they are coming out.

Finally you turned up :D But thanks for sharing that, and as @biochemgirl67 said although it makes me more anxious now, atleast it gives me peace of mind. Weird Princeton would clash with Harvard & UCSF. 

8 hours ago, breaker746 said: