2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

1 minute ago, Gram Positive said:

Congrats! And agreed :D

Seriously, this application season has been very surprising to me. 4/4 and I'm content on all rejections from now on (eh not really but heh) I thought my no pub, meh GPA would get my ass handed to me but hey, people really care about LOR and SOP and the intangibles that can't be properly described using the "chance me" threads.

3 minutes ago, adiJ said:

people really care about LOR and SOP and the intangibles that can't be properly described using the "chance me" threads.

Cannot state this enough i feel the exact same way, was convinced i would be rejected from everywhere after seeing all the 3.9's 100 first author publications applicants

5 minutes ago, brainsandeggs said:

ANYWAY has anyone heard anything like this from their LOR writers? I am obviously very happy (!) that they are showing any interest whatsoever in me, but I'm wondering if it means they are shaky on his letter or something about me as an applicant. Is this common practice for programs to contact letter writers for more info or a more detailed recommendation? 

On a similar note; I got contacted yesterday by one of my programs. They requested a fourth LOR from a mentor that I briefly mentioned in my SOP. They really wanted to hear his opinion on our experience working together.

I'm thinking it isn't a bad thing at all. When you interview for a job, you can expect that your future employer might find it worthwhile to speak more in-depth with your former employer. I figure the same may very well apply here. In fact, if the program is taking the time and energy to reach out to your letter writers, I'm thinking it may be a very good sign that you are a promising applicant.

3 minutes ago, Focus said:

On a similar note; I got contacted yesterday by one of my programs. They requested a fourth LOR from a mentor that I briefly mentioned in my SOP. They really wanted to hear his opinion on our experience working together.

I'm thinking it isn't a bad thing at all. When you interview for a job, you can expect that your future employer might find it worthwhile to speak more in-depth with your former employer. I figure the same may very well apply here. In fact, if the program is taking the time and energy to reach out to your letter writers, I'm thinking it may be a very good sign that you are a promising applicant.

Ah interesting- it makes me feel better that other programs do follow ups this way. I hope thats what it is, and not something funky with his letter! Perhaps we will both hear good things from these inquisitive programs fingerz crossed...

Edited by brainsandeggs

1 minute ago, brainsandeggs said:

Ah interesting- it makes me feel better that other programs do follow ups this way. I hope thats what it is, and not something funky with his letter! 

Even if it were something with his letter, it's great that they sought him out to clarify instead of binning your application!

2 minutes ago, Focus said:

Even if it were something with his letter, it's great that they sought him out to clarify instead of binning your application!

Too true! Stanford is one of those schools that you never expect to hear back from so what was before a "eh no one gets in to Stanford, why worry" is more of a "AHHH?!" My only concern is that my LOR "writer" actually did not write the letter - I wrote it and he read it over and approved it, though he gave me carte blanche to write whatever. I even had to submit it (he was undergoing some serious back surgery during application season and was high on meds for weeks and STILL is so couldn't do it). I am worried they will ask him something about the letter and he'll be like "what?" and things will take a turn for the tragic. I frantically updated him on everything that was in the letter just in case, but during a opiates-laced phone call who knows what could happen. 

6/13. I guess I'll go ahead and just add them to my signature as by now most people have heard back from half their schools, so I'm not a vector of anxiety causing woe. 

Edited by Infinito

Guys, I looked at the results forum again for Harvard immunology... And in past years it has not been released all at once.  In the past few years they have sent invites December 19th through December 22nd.  I still have hope, especially since the person that posted about the interview invite today has not come to make themselves known.  :P

Edited by biochemgirl67

i'm worried about yale still..but i think most (if not all?) people that got invites were mgcd (or some arrangement of those letters) track, so i'm not gonna lose hope yet. 

Edited by Effloresce

24 minutes ago, Infinito said:

6/13. I guess I'll go ahead and just add them to my signature as by now most people have heard back from half their schools, so I'm not a vector of anxiety causing woe. 

Ah! I see you applied to both MIT Bio and BCS: so I guess BCS gets first dibs on people? Do you mind me asking if they called or emailed? I applied through the bio department, I'm dying over here! 

I got a phone call from a Yale professor on Sunday for an interview but it was the molecular bio/cell/genetics/development track of BBS, they probably review apps separately because the programs are different.  

Does anyone know if Princeton sent out all invites already or if they send out invites over multiple days?

19 minutes ago, biosci said:

Any other UMich-PIBS people have trouble with selecting the Feb4 weekend?  I am worried that it is full and I can't go to the first one and am starting to panic a bit...

Which department within PIBS did you choose? I haven't heard anything at all, and I did CMB and Neuro.

17 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

i'm worried about yale still..but i think most (if not all?) people that got invites were mgcd (or some arrangement of those letters) track, so i'm not gonna lose hope yet. 

Pretty much MGCD, and they still haven't officially emailed.

11 minutes ago, brainsandeggs said:

Ah! I see you applied to both MIT Bio and BCS: so I guess BCS gets first dibs on people? Do you mind me asking if they called or emailed? I applied through the bio department, I'm dying over here! 

They called, but I didn't receive the call, so they e-mailed. Not sure if they actually compete, but if they do I assume Bio would have another day so the dates don't conflict. Either way, it only seems like a two day interview.

2 minutes ago, Infinito said:

Which department within PIBS did you choose? I haven't heard anything at all, and I did CMB and Neuro.

MCDB.  I heard on Monday but I waited a couple of days to confirm online in case of conflicts...

5 hours ago, brainsandeggs said:

Got one from Brown University Neuro - phone call from the director, but sadly no harvard PiN :(. 

SUPER PUMPED about Brown tho!!

Hey I graduated from Brown undergrad! It's a nice campus, I hope you like it :) May I ask who you are interested in working with? My PI is part of the neuro grad program :)

18 hours ago, jaesango said:

I applied immuno track here as well, didn't hear from them this evening...feeling a bit down since I thought I would be a good fit in a couple labs :(

anyone have good Netflix recommendations? 

Re-watch the office.  Anything that is funny and has lots of episodes. 

17 hours ago, Farafeelo said:

does anyone know if you are interviewing for 2 programs at the same school ... do you just go visit the school twice or do you they perhaps let you interview with both programs in one weekend? 

Depends on the programs.  Some programs at school have interviews over the same weekend and others are totally different.

6 hours ago, Earl said:

i don't remember if this was asked before, but for interviews, if they give you multiple options, is it more advantageous to go to the first recruitment weekend versus a later one?  tryna work out conflictssssss.

Always want to go to the first if it is a top pick for you.  Here is the thing, acceptances after interview go out shortly after a visit.  This means that if a place has multiple weekends they put their top recruits in the first set and will extend invites often before the next set.  If you have to do a  makeup or alternate weekend it is BY NO MEANS a death sentence, but trust me you want to hit your top picks as early as you can or as close to the official invite so that when the committee meets to make decisions you are on the short list.

6 hours ago, Farafeelo said:

how do you politely decline an interview? can you share how u word ur emails? 

It seems a bit early already to be declining an interivew when you are so close to the application deadline.  I'm curious how you know you are interested in a school when a few weeks ago you were applying.  I'd be careful in rejecting a school this early unless you have like 8-10 interview invites already and this was seriously just a second though (again why though).  I'd do this: either ask to schedule an alternate date if its conflicting a program that you are currently more interested in (things do change on the  interview trail) or say "I appreciate your offer to interview but at this time I have decided to interview/accept another school and will be unable to attend, thank you in taking the time to consider my application".  But in all honesty how can you already be declining interviews without even asking to reschedule, what the hell changed that quickly?

4 minutes ago, peachypie said:

Always want to go to the first if it is a top pick for you.  Here is the thing, acceptances after interview go out shortly after a visit.  This means that if a place has multiple weekends they put their top recruits in the first set and will extend invites often before the next set.  If you have to do a  makeup or alternate weekend it is BY NO MEANS a death sentence, but trust me you want to hit your top picks as early as you can or as close to the official invite so that when the committee meets to make decisions you are on the short list.

Now feeling bad again about being given the second Yale weekend. :(