2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Congrats on all the wonderful invites everyone! Good work!!

I posted this on the neuro thread: noticed that someone posted on the results survey today that they got a call from MIT neuro this morning for an interview. Not sure if it's a troll because MIT sent out an email last week saying that their invites will be sent in January.  Has anyone here heard from MIT for neuro?

14 minutes ago, Neurolit said:

Congrats on all the wonderful invites everyone! Good work!!

I posted this on the neuro thread: noticed that someone posted on the results survey today that they got a call from MIT neuro this morning for an interview. Not sure if it's a troll because MIT sent out an email last week saying that their invites will be sent in January.  Has anyone here heard from MIT for neuro?

Soooo was this email that was sent informin of invite dates just for MIT neuro or also for MIT bio? Cuz I applied to bio and haven't seen anything besides the confirmation email.

7 minutes ago, AgingBio123 said:

Soooo was this email that was sent informin of invite dates just for MIT neuro or also for MIT bio? Cuz I applied to bio and haven't seen anything besides the confirmation email.

I think it's just for MIT neuro. I also applied to MIT bio and have not heard anything since the confirmation. 

3 hours ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

Did you (or any other Princeton invites) already submit your fall grades?

Nope lol I did not.  My grades won't be out for like two weeks.  I don't think it's a part of the initial review process.  I'm still shocked I heard from them.  My science idol who actually got me into science in high school, Bonnie bassler, is head of that program and I'm fangirling so hard right now

WUSTL DBBS interview invite as well this morning. I don't like that they didn't give an interview date, but it's still awesome.

Now my fit/reaches are coming in, I might have to start really thinking about not accepting all the interviews..

1 minute ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Nope lol I did not.  My grades won't be out for like two weeks.  I don't think it's a part of the initial review process.  I'm still shocked I heard from them.  My science idol who actually got me into science in high school, Bonnie bassler, is head of that program and I'm fangirling so hard right now

Gooooddd damn it. Well, congratulations at any rate :blink:

7 minutes ago, adiJ said:

WUSTL DBBS interview invite as well this morning. I don't like that they didn't give an interview date, but it's still awesome.

Now my fit/reaches are coming in, I might have to start really thinking about not accepting all the interviews..

Having the same problem now. I have my first overlapping interview so I have to take back one of my acceptances to interview.. this is actually stressful 

2 hours ago, molecularbio23 said:

Is it inappropriate to contact your POI about the admissions process? ie when admissions will send interview invites? My POI who I've remained in consistent contact with is on the admissions committee. 

For admissions logistics, I think it's best to not bug PIs and contact admissions secretaries, which are usually listed on the website for each specific program. However for emailing PI's ahead of time saying you are interested in their work is a different story. Despite what many people say, I don't think this can hurt. The worse case scenario they just don't reply to your email. However, I think this is only advisable if the POI  knows your current research advisor or is intimately familiar your work in your lab. For example if they consistently cite work from your PI, it's a strong possibility they know the name, in which case I'd say it's an advantage during admissions and even after when trying to match with a lab. 

Edited by pot8o

18 minutes ago, pcc2129 said:

Has anyone heard from Emory Immunology and Microbial Pathogenesis? An interview was posted on the survey a couple days ago...

Also for those with UCSD BMS interviews, what tracks did you apply to?

Emory IMP invited me for an interview on Sunday (dec 13th), but I'm sure they come out in waves! Good luck!!!!

1 hour ago, brainsandeggs said:

Just got a phone call from Emory neuro! Very excited!

25 minutes ago, Ash04 said:

Got an interview call from University of Arizona, Tuscon! Hope to get more :)

Congratulations guys!

Got an invite from WUSTL DBBS this morning!

I'll have to reschedule/decline another interview that is scheduled for the same weekend. Can anybody answer, in general, how receptive are programs to requests to reschedule?

1 hour ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I met Bonnie at a conference last year and when I introduced myself she said she heard so much about me (my PI was talking to her previously). naturally I fangirled too hard and literally did not know what to say/probably muttered something incomprehensible. 

Congrats!!!

2 hours ago, brainsandeggs said:

Just got a phone call from Emory neuro! Very excited!

4 hours ago, NeuroSC said:

Emory Neuro interview invitation from the director of the program. Weekends feb 4-6 or 18-20. 

1 hour ago, Dro133 said:

Got an invite from WUSTL DBBS this morning!

I'll have to reschedule/decline another interview that is scheduled for the same weekend. Can anybody answer, in general, how receptive are programs to requests to reschedule?

Typically you shouldn't agree to go and then call them back and ask to reschedule.  My policy was I wouldn't accept unless I knew there wasn't a conflict or if of the two potential conflicts there were this is the one I'd prefer to interview at their primary date.  It is usually not considered "good form" to call a place back and essentially tell them a better offer came along and one that as of right now you are more interested in.  It may make you also look less likely to take a spot if offered.  They'll usually accommodate but I would recommend that you figure out which weekends your programs are hosting applicants, if any conflict make a ranking of which one you'd prefer to go to the primary interview for, and then decide accordingly. 

2 minutes ago, peachypie said:

Typically you shouldn't agree to go and then call them back and ask to reschedule.  My policy was I wouldn't accept unless I knew there wasn't a conflict or if of the two potential conflicts there were this is the one I'd prefer to interview at their primary date.  It is usually not considered "good form" to call a place back and essentially tell them a better offer came along and one that as of right now you are more interested in.  It may make you also look less likely to take a spot if offered.  They'll usually accommodate but I would recommend that you figure out which weekends your programs are hosting applicants, if any conflict make a ranking of which one you'd prefer to go to the primary interview for, and then decide accordingly. 

I said the same this on this thread a few days ago. It's best to keep them waiting then to have to go back on a commitment or reschedule a top choice

Whoa Penn Biochemistry and molecular biophysics interview (not official yet so no date). This is amazing, I can't believe I was so depressed 2 weeks ago.

@metbio2016 that's my second choice! Hope I hear from them soon (endocrinology was also my second choice, but I doubt that matters too much)

UCSF BMS!!! For those curious about tracks- my number 1 I put down was tissue/organ biology and endocrinology followed by neurobiology. Hope everyone else finds out soon also!

Edited by adiJ