2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

16 minutes ago, fucun said:

Anyone heard back from Penn or Johns Hopkins Pharmacology???? Thanks

Hey I heard back from Penn Pharmacology on Dec. 8th and interview is Jan 21 or Feb 4. Think they're done :/

2 minutes ago, breaker746 said:

Hey I heard back from Penn Pharmacology on Dec. 8th and interview is Jan 21 or Feb 4. Think they're done :/

Thanks for replying! Do you think it would be worth it to call Penn and ask about it?

3 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I called harvard immunology... invites went out yesterday.  I'm really disappointed.  :(

Aww :( but hey how are you so sure you won't receive an invite in the coming days that you put up a harvard rejection in your signature. Like its depressed the f*** out of me after you said they released them yesterday, but something tells me a big program like harvard does rolling invites. Hope against hope, i'm still keeping a little bit of positivity. The true heartbreak will be when MIT doesnt send an invite. :ph34r:

Stay positive girl. In fact i'm more hopeful for you then for me. I'm just an international turned domestic with good research work to show. You're an Amgen Scholar, i've rarely seen them getting rejected :)

3 hours ago, mwgskol said:

I just saw that you applied for Cornell plant bio. Did you get the pre-interview skype call?

No I didn't and I have been looking fro someone who applied to that program to talk to! There are practically no results in the survey, and the few which are seem to have been all rejected. I was actually very excited about this program, and gave them a call yesterday, and they said they'll be conducting a skype call in january with all the applicants they shortlisted. Did you hear back anything at all?

First official interview invite from NYU Genomic and Systems Bio!

If this is the only interview I get I feel like this may be due to my statement of purpose being limited to 1 page double spaced. My other SOP for other schools allowed me to write more, which may or may not be a good thing haha.

Edited by Nero_Mustbethefeeling

If a program asks for you to respond "right away" (and they italicized and underlined it) about an interview invite, about how long do you think is okay to wait before responding?

I got my first interview invite a little while ago, but it's for one of my "safety" programs (Delaware Behavioral Neuro) and it looks like it's gonna be on a popular day for other interviews (Jan. 29th). According to the results survey, all but 1 of my schools haven't started sending invites out yet, so considering this program is relatively low on my list, I ideally want to wait until at least Christmastime to reply so that I can wait to see if any more programs will get back to me first. But the ""right away"" is scaring me. How long is okay to wait if they don't give you a deadline/preferred date to let them know by? As I said, this isn't my favorite program, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I guess I could just assume that I may get another interview for that date/weekend and ask for a rescheduled date to start with if they really want me to get back ASAP? Not sure how to handle this

I'm new to this site and when some posts above reference "your signature," I don't know what that means. 

Can someone please explain? Thank you! 

And congratulations to all! I'm still hoping to hear from MIT neuro but nothing yet. 

6 minutes ago, den-of-thieves said:

If a program asks for you to respond "right away" (and they italicized and underlined it) about an interview invite, about how long do you think is okay to wait before responding?

I got my first interview invite a little while ago, but it's for one of my "safety" programs (Delaware Behavioral Neuro) and it looks like it's gonna be on a popular day for other interviews (Jan. 29th). According to the results survey, all but 1 of my schools haven't started sending invites out yet, so considering this program is relatively low on my list, I ideally want to wait until at least Christmastime to reply so that I can wait to see if any more programs will get back to me first. But the ""right away"" is scaring me. How long is okay to wait if they don't give you a deadline/preferred date to let them know by? As I said, this isn't my favorite program, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I guess I could just assume that I may get another interview for that date/weekend and ask for a rescheduled date to start with if they really want me to get back ASAP? Not sure how to handle this

I'm facing that same problem. I'm going to wait until next week. I'll let them know that it took time as I had a conflict and I tried resolving it with the other party. And this is mostly because I know that other party should be sending out invites today / this weekend.

Also UMichigan PIBS just sent out more e-mails. I assume this is for CMB/Neuro oriented track people.

Edited by Infinito

31 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

No I didn't and I have been looking fro someone who applied to that program to talk to! There are practically no results in the survey, and the few which are seem to have been all rejected. I was actually very excited about this program, and gave them a call yesterday, and they said they'll be conducting a skype call in january with all the applicants they shortlisted. Did you hear back anything at all?

I actually had my skype call early this morning and my skype decided to not work at all... I ended up getting a phone call instead but I think it went poorly :( I was really excited about the program too but I think I might have blew it 

Also congrats to your interviews! are you a plant person too?

Edited by mwgskol
clarification

6 minutes ago, Neurolit said:

I'm new to this site and when some posts above reference "your signature," I don't know what that means. 

Can someone please explain? Thank you! 

And congratulations to all! I'm still hoping to hear from MIT neuro but nothing yet. 

You see for some of the users, under their reply there's a block of stuffs stating the schools they applied and the interview they got. I assume that's what the signature is!

3 hours ago, biosci said:

Great.  I live in California and have an interview in Connecticut followed by one in Wisconsin, so it would be really silly to have to stop over in California!

Are they scheduling your flights or are you doing it and getting reimbursed?  I don't think that should be an issue but I'm not sure if (assuming) Yale would want you to split the cost with Wisconsin for flight there since it saves Wisconsin money but again, they probably don't care.  Shouldn't be more expensive to fly from conneticut to madison than back to california for Yale regardless.

1 hour ago, michi1987 said:

Hi guys! Does anyone happen to know when University of Minnesota's MICaB program sends out interviews? There are none from this year yet on the results page, and in previous years it seems to have ranged from 12/15-12/21.

Also if I wanted to call to find out something like this, what would I say? Thank you :)

I received my invite last year on 12/19 via e-mail.  I'd hold your horses a few days on calling.  No use in buggering them.

P.S.  I didn't end up going there but I was torn between my current program and UM MiCaB, would highly recommend.

35 minutes ago, den-of-thieves said:

This will be definitely dependent on your other school situations.  For one have you received any other invites at this time or is Delaware your only invite standing?  Do you know when your other programs are holding interviews and do any of your top picks hold interviews on January 29th?  If so, contact those admins and express that you are very interested in their program and wanted to find out either 1. when interviews would be or 2. when invites would go out for interviews since you have received responses from some schools that are requesting responses immediately and you did not want to confirm before knowing the situation at their program....etc.  At a minimum they'll give you a general timeline which you can go back and say to Delaware, can I wait until December 22nd to confirm or something if that is the date given to you by the other school.  If otehr schools have said invites went out then you know you can proceed with Delaware.  I really don't like that a school would put pressure on you to commit immediately especially knowing this is a very busy time for applicants.  It looks poorly on them to try to "lock you in" early for a very popular interview date.  However they do want to do this to make sure they get their spots filled too and that they can book your travel.  When were you emailed by the program?  I'd generally try to get back to them within 5 business days for scheduling in general, so if its getting close to that I'd recommend trying to figure it out today. 

20 minutes ago, tcmazer said:

Just got an email from U Alabama Birmingham CMDB, interviewing January 21-23!

One of my former PIs is on the adcomm there, and she said genetics should be going out soon as well!

2 hours ago, 123hardasABC said:

Is sadness Kahlua? 

I'm about to make white hot chocolate with Kahlua. I believe in this case it counts as happiness. ;) 

2 hours ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

I found a spelling/biology mistake in one of mine like 3 days after submitting it!  I had a massive brain fart and instead of saying genera (pl. genus) I said genre (like music or movies or whatever).  I know.... I am so stupid.... I told my PI and he basically told me I was an idiot.  Also, it was in the SOP for my top choice!

Luckily the school allowed me to upload new copies of my SOP until they reviewed it.  I had a massive freak out when I saw that.

What's even worse is that not only did I miss that mistake when editing, but two of my friends in grad school and 2 other friends with BS degrees in Bio also missed it....

I feel like if five people missed it in the proofreading that there's also a solid shot that the adcomm would miss it! But lucky you for getting to change it out! I'm still cringing over my mistake, especially since I did it with nearly every program.... Really hoping it doesn't cost me. 

Just now, Bioenchilada said:

As I was refreshing my e-mail to see if I got an invite form Harvard BBS, I got one from Michigan PIBS 

(Too bad I have to decline it) :(

DGzSZ8h.png

Thanks for doing that lol  it meant a lot to me 

does anyone know if harvard dms programs communicate with each other? like if u got an interview to one program at harvard does that mean bbs might not send u an interview since u got an interview to the other program? #harvardstress 

15 minutes ago, peachypie said:

I received my invite last year on 12/19 via e-mail.  I'd hold your horses a few days on calling.  No use in buggering them.

P.S.  I didn't end up going there but I was torn between my current program and UM MiCaB, would highly recommend.

I ended up calling them after posting before. They said all invites were sent out on Wednesday, and rejections are handled by the grad school itself and won't be released until january. That is so scary to me!

2 minutes ago, peachypie said:

This will be definitely dependent on your other school situations.  For one have you received any other invites at this time or is Delaware your only invite standing?  Do you know when your other programs are holding interviews and do any of your top picks hold interviews on January 29th?  If so, contact those admins and express that you are very interested in their program and wanted to find out either 1. when interviews would be or 2. when invites would go out for interviews since you have received responses from some schools that are requesting responses immediately and you did not want to confirm before knowing the situation at their program....etc.  At a minimum they'll give you a general timeline which you can go back and say to Delaware, can I wait until December 22nd to confirm or something if that is the date given to you by the other school.  If otehr schools have said invites went out then you know you can proceed with Delaware.  I really don't like that a school would put pressure on you to commit immediately especially knowing this is a very busy time for applicants.  It looks poorly on them to try to "lock you in" early for a very popular interview date.  However they do want to do this to make sure they get their spots filled too and that they can book your travel.  When were you emailed by the program?  I'd generally try to get back to them within 5 business days for scheduling in general, so if its getting close to that I'd recommend trying to figure it out today. 

Hi, thanks for this!

Delaware is my only invite at the moment, but I'm neuro so not as many invites have gone out (out of my 8 schools, only Penn and Delaware have to my knowledge, and someone in this thread said on Wednesday that their PI at Penn is still reading apps so he suspects there may be a second wave). I was thinking about contacting admins at the other programs like you said but was worried about being a nag at this busy time, but I guess it's really not the biggest deal in the world and it would of course be very helpful for all of this. I only heard from Delaware about an hour ago so I definitely have time (5 business days wouldn't be until Christmas) but just wanted to see if any of you had any insight about just how much time would still be okay. I think I just got scared off by them bolding and italicizing that we should respond "right away" which, of course, I also really do not like, but I guess I understand considering their situation of having to schedule everything as well.