2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

7 hours ago, aaahhhmyfuture said:

Hey you guys.  I was emailing a POI that a family member had set me up with.  I didn't really tell anyone where I was applying ahead of time, so this conversation was after I had applied.  He replied to my family member when the three of us were communicating, but when I responded to him with a few questions, he did not answer.  This was a week ago.  Should I send a follow up email or just let it be?  (The set up was largely at the extreme desire of my family to feel helpful.)

I'm... Not sure why your family was involved at all.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're saying that your family was trying to back door you into the program through this guy.  He did not respond to you, so I think you should let it go.  And in the future, don't let your family get involved because they are looking for highly motivated people that are self sufficient.  I could be interpreting this wrong, but it seems like maybe he responded to your family member out of courtesy and then ignored you.

So I'm thinking I'm going to email a program to ask about my application status (this program's interview would conflict with one that I was just offered, but I'd rather attend this program's). At a conference I had a conversation with a professor on the adcom and she seemed very excited about me applying there (her former adviser is my current PI). Is it too annoying to email this professor instead of the general "info" email that's listed on the program's website?

On December 19, 2015 at 11:57 AM, AtomDance said:

I received an invite from Duke UPGG and at least one other person in this thread received one before me. I don't know at all whether they sent them all out early or if they're still sending invites out though! The weekends are February 4-6 or February 18-20 for UPGG. 

I applied to UNC BBSP too and haven't heard anything from them either. I think the general consensus is that they might send out more invites in January? Not really sure.

I'm super excited to have gotten as many interview invites as I have, and I'm kind of okay with not having heard back from the more competitive programs I applied to at this point. This time last year I was worried I wouldn't get any interview invites, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now! 

Hope everyone here has a happy and safe holiday (and try not to stress too much :P)!   

So UNC said people will be hearing till 2-3 rd week of January. Duke said if I don't hear back this week, its probably a rejection.I have not heard back from any other schools, so beginning to lose hope.:(

Looks like you also heard from BCM. I applied there as well, top choice for IMBS and second choice human genetics.Did you get an email or phone call from them?

I just got the rejection from Harvard BBS, not too surprised but at least it is out of the way now. Great start to a Monday I guess..HAHA

25 minutes ago, pm666 said:

So UNC said people will be hearing till 2-3 rd week of January. Duke said if I don't hear back this week, its probably a rejection.I have not heard back from any other schools, so beginning to lose hope.:(

Looks like you also heard from BCM. I applied there as well, top choice for IMBS and second choice human genetics.Did you get an email or phone call from them?

I just got the rejection from Harvard BBS, not too surprised but at least it is out of the way now. Great start to a Monday I guess..HAHA

I did get an email from BCM last week from Molecular & Human Genetics (IMBS was my 2nd choice program, incidentally). I wouldn't lose hope on BCM just yet...  I had my application in by the priority deadline (December 1st) instead of waiting for the final January 1st deadline, which may be why I heard from the relatively early? And IMBS may have a later review schedule than M&HG anyway. Have you checked the BCM application portal? They tell you if your application is currently active in your 1st or 2nd choice program. If yours still says IMBS as your "active" program, they're probably still working on it!

12 minutes ago, wintergreens said:

Does anyone know when do Stanford Biosciences hold their interviews? (at least in the past years)

" During the week of January 4, 2015, the committees will start to contact those applicants who have been selected for an interview. The selected applicants will be invited to interview, at our expense, to arrive on Wednesday, March 2 and depart on Sunday, March 6, 2015. This is our only interview session. Highly qualified applicants residing in other countries and for whom a visit would not be possible may be selected for a telephone interview."

From the biosciences website! :)

1 minute ago, ruckaround said:

" During the week of January 4, 2015, the committees will start to contact those applicants who have been selected for an interview. The selected applicants will be invited to interview, at our expense, to arrive on Wednesday, March 2 and depart on Sunday, March 6, 2015. This is our only interview session. Highly qualified applicants residing in other countries and for whom a visit would not be possible may be selected for a telephone interview."

From the biosciences website! :)

Thank you! I knew I had seen it somewhere! :)

36 minutes ago, wintergreens said:

Does anyone know when do Stanford Biosciences hold their interviews? (at least in the past years)

Week of March 6. The exact dates are on the admissions faq section for biosciences 

23 hours ago, SomehowIManage said:

Hi all! Does anyone know anything about the UCSF TETRAD interview? I was invited to their February 25 interview date, but is it a visit weekend or just the interview? Their email was very brief. 

This is probably not helpful but I haven't heard anything from UCSF yet so this is a bit of a follow up question also... Does anyone know if TETRAD has finished sending out interview invites? if not i wouldn't be surprised if the email was a preliminary one for accepted interviews and more details will come later as they solidify things... 

15 hours ago, Earl said:

okay, i have an interview scheduling dilemma... 

i had rsvp'd to an interview for SCHOOL A, then received another interview from SCHOOL B (i have greater interest in SCHOOL B's program) that conflicts with SCHOOL A.  i am local for SCHOOL A, so they wouldn't have to spend money on travel/lodging for me, whereas SCHOOL B would have to.  what do you guys think about asking SCHOOL A to reschedule the interview for another time?  i was thinking it *might* be okay because i am local anyways and can pop in any time?  

adviceeeeeeee please, thanks!

ask school B for alternate.  Unfortunately after you accept one invite you should stick with it, you already gave them your word.  Your interest in schools may change after an interview.  I had to schedule an alternate for my #1 school, worked out fine, got in any way :D.

12 hours ago, aaahhhmyfuture said:

Hey you guys.  I was emailing a POI that a family member had set me up with.  I didn't really tell anyone where I was applying ahead of time, so this conversation was after I had applied.  He replied to my family member when the three of us were communicating, but when I responded to him with a few questions, he did not answer.  This was a week ago.  Should I send a follow up email or just let it be?  (The set up was largely at the extreme desire of my family to feel helpful.)

Could be really busy?  I am confused...is this a POI at a school you applied to?  What kind of questions did you ask?

6 hours ago, Earl said:

Thanks for the advice guys.  Yeah, I don't want/intend to be rude to School A.  It's just that School B is one of my top choices, and I don't want to "hurt" my chances of getting in by not being able to make the full interview weekend (ie. by having an interview at a later date etc).  

How do schools take to being asked for an alternative interview date?  Does it put you at a disadvantage in any way?

It shouldn't put you at a disadvantage.  Try to see if they can do an alternate before going to school A and saying "sorry....a better offer came up!".  Generally you will want to take another interview weekend or if there is only one you want to be as close to the real interview weekend....a few days before the actual is best. 

On 12/19/2015 at 8:18 PM, aaahhhmyfuture said:

Has anyone heard from UCSB MCDB?  They are supposed to let everyone here by Dec 31st, and I haven't heard yet.  I'm feeling a rejection because it's close to the Christmas Holiday, and I have heard nothing.

I applied to this program and still haven't heard anything.  I am super hopeful that I will hear back soon though!

2 hours ago, 123hardasABC said:

I heard from SLU on Friday. There's hope yet!

Which program did you apply to? I'm having difficulties determining the difference between the Biology PhD program and the Biomedical PhD program. The Biomedical one is more in line with my background but has like 5 professors in it. 

14 minutes ago, Gram Neutral said:

Which program did you apply to? I'm having difficulties determining the difference between the Biology PhD program and the Biomedical PhD program. The Biomedical one is more in line with my background but has like 5 professors in it. 

Biomedical

3 hours ago, pm666 said:

Re: Harvard BBS, Did they actually email you a rejection or did you ask? I have received nothing and its driving me insane.

1 minute ago, michi1987 said:

Re: Harvard BBS, Did they actually email you a rejection or did you ask? I have received nothing and its driving me insane.

I called them this morning and they said all the invites have gone out. 

8 minutes ago, bdnf_13.1 said:

I called them this morning and they said all the invites have gone out. 

Oh ok thanks!! I think it would be a dream if schools would go ahead and actually change the status in the portal to rejected at that point rather than leaving us at this awkward stage haha.

Just now, michi1987 said:

Oh ok thanks!! I think it would be a dream if schools would go ahead and actually change the status in the portal to rejected at that point rather than leaving us at this awkward stage haha.

They actually told me they can't make the rejections official till they officially accept people at the end of the process :-/