2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

4 hours ago, goldenbuff said:

All I got was the contact information. I'm assuming/hoping the travel people know something about the timing. I'm coming from Boston though so I can take Amtrak the morning of and I'll be fine. You could always try replying to the coordinator and asking for a little more information.

Are they covering your amtrak fare? I'm planning om commuting from home each day via commuter rail and was wondering if they'd cover me? 

11 hours ago, breaker746 said:

Have a question. I realized that I'm probably taking on too many interviews, and it seems like an exhausting and time consuming process. I'll hear back from one of my top choice schools by end of January and all of my interviews come afterwards, so if if things work out I'd be interested in cancelling 2-3 of them. How bad is it to cancel an interview 1) before making travel arrangements 2) after making travel arrangements (e.g. flight)? I would just feel really guilty doing so after the administrators and professors took the time to figure out scheduling, to arrange hotels, etc. but would be really be helpful for my own schedule

Yes, you should feel guilty doing so. Taking on more interviews than you would like was not a good move in the first place, and now you are in a pickle. And by what criteria did you decide which program is "top choice"? The point of interview is not just them getting to know you but also you getting to know the people, program, school, and the location on a more personal level than just what is written on their website. Maybe after visiting these places it will change your mind about where to go.

For anyone who applied to Baylor IMBS... I emailed the program administrator and the person told me that applications are still being reviewed and final decisions will not be made until the end of January. It sounds as if I'm somewhere in the waitlist, since I didn't get an invite in the first wave, nor did I hear a rejection. Anyways, there's hope! 

10 hours ago, Liverbird_93 said:

Are they covering your amtrak fare? I'm planning om commuting from home each day via commuter rail and was wondering if they'd cover me? 

Apparently the travel agent found a round-trip flight that would be cheaper than Amtrak. You should probably ask them about the commuter rail. I imagine they would be willing to reimburse you though if they don't have to pay for a hotel room.

31 minutes ago, dnarox said:

Does anyone have any additional information on UTSW (invites, dates etc.)? Number one on my list and not sure if I should put the dream behind me.

From the survey it seems like past interview invites were extended into February.

I was sent a link to select a first and second choice for the interview dates. They had multiple dates, each one running from Thursday to Saturday, from January through March if memory serves correct, with a different combination of departments participating in each interview session. Friday is the day you meet with faculty. It is set up so that members from around four departments will participate on this day, but they assured me that if I couldn't get my preferred weekend due to whatever scheduling conflicts they would do their best to get faculty members from my department(s) of interest to participate. 

Edited by miky

Just now, miky said:

From the survey it seems like past interview invites were extended into February.

I was sent a link to select a first and second choice for the interview dates. They had multiple dates, each one running from Thursday to Saturday, from January through March if memory serves correct, with a different combination of departments participating in each interview session. Friday is the day you meet with faculty. It is set up so that members from around four departments will participate on this day, but they assured me that if I couldn't get my preferred weekend due to whatever scheduling conflicts they would do their best to get faculty members from my department(s) of interest to participate.

So, you received an invite for this year? Sorry to be so obsessive.

19 minutes ago, goldenbuff said:

Apparently the travel agent found a round-trip flight that would be cheaper than Amtrak. You should probably ask them about the commuter rail. I imagine they would be willing to reimburse you though if they don't have to pay for a hotel room.

Hi, I am also going to Weill Cornell for interview, but I am flying from Switzerland. So they said they will cover at most $500 travel expanse. Do we have to use the travel agency service in order to be reimbursed? And do they only cover one-way or also round trips? Thank you!

5 minutes ago, AngryRobot! said:

Hi, I am also going to Weill Cornell for interview, but I am flying from Switzerland. So they said they will cover at most $500 travel expanse. Do we have to use the travel agency service in order to be reimbursed? And do they only cover one-way or also round trips? Thank you!

The travel agency booked everything for me so I didn't have to pay for anything. You should probably ask the coordinator or the travel agency about your situation. All I know is what they told me about my own specific situation.

15 hours ago, peachypie said:

I would assume a general interview where they tell you about the program/university and themselves a bit.  Ask you a few questions.  I would read up on publications maybe the most recent 2-3 at least abstracts to familiarize yourself with their work.  It can't hurt if the research comes up and you can ask an insightful question.  Just because they aren't someone on your SOP doesn't mean they aren't on the admissions committee.  I don't know why you would think because you didn't note them that this is less formal. 

thanks for the input. I assumed it was less formal due to the general tone of the email, and the fact that I was just asked when I was free, rather than being asked to choose between specified dates/times. I also assumed that it could be a just be a preliminary interview before a larger/more formal one, as generally any interview other I've had was in front of a panel of 4-5 people. 

Great news to have an interview regardless, will be preparing to the best of my ability!

8 hours ago, partydon'tstarttillIwalkin said:

For anyone who applied to Baylor IMBS... I emailed the program administrator and the person told me that applications are still being reviewed and final decisions will not be made until the end of January. It sounds as if I'm somewhere in the waitlist, since I didn't get an invite in the first wave, nor did I hear a rejection. Anyways, there's hope! 

Thanks for the info, waiting to hear from that program myself! B)

I just got an email from one school asking if I can switch my interview date.

I already chose the first interview date weeks ago and now they are asking me to do the later date.

Should I be concerned? Or is their some advantage to doing this? I was already making plans to come to the first date. I just wonder why they would do this.

1 minute ago, Nero_Mustbethefeeling said:

I already chose the first interview date weeks ago and now they are asking me to do the later date.

Should I be concerned? Or is their some advantage to doing this? I was already making plans to come to the first date. I just wonder why they would do this.

Total guess, but they probably just have people who can't attend the second date and have filled the first date already, so they want to try to get anyone they can to switch to even out the numbers.  I wouldn't be worried. 

23 minutes ago, Nero_Mustbethefeeling said:

Another possibility is that faculty members that you indicated you wanted to meet with may not be available during the first weekend you selected, but they will be around the later date - in which case it would probably be to your advantage to choose the other option

Do you think its a hassle or looks poorly if I request to be switched back to an original interview date instead of an alternate date that I requested?

Basically, I asked one school for an alternate date, and after they had figured everything out they gave me one, and I signed up for that one. Now I have an opportunity to switch back to the original interview date which frees me up to interview at another institution that has no alternative dates.

26 minutes ago, Nero_Mustbethefeeling said:

Do you think its a hassle or looks poorly if I request to be switched back to an original interview date instead of an alternate date that I requested?

Basically, I asked one school for an alternate date, and after they had figured everything out they gave me one, and I signed up for that one. Now I have an opportunity to switch back to the original interview date which frees me up to interview at another institution that has no alternative dates.

Well in your situation it will look poor because you asked for the alternate, and are now switching not because you originally had a conflict, but because now you do have a conflict with a new school. They might realize this, but they might be okay with changing it up as long as all the spots in that original interview date aren't filled. Either way, trying to change it at this point won't harm you as much as it may make the admins handling the stuff a bit more busy.

-----

An update about Stanford Biosciences: I called up to the main office and they said that most departments are finalizing their reviews this week so if you don't get anything this week from your department, it's not unlikely that they will send out invites next week, too. 

Edited by Infinito

1 hour ago, Jyouie said:

haven't got a response from Princeton MolBio yet, are they still reviewing applications?

Yes they are. My PI is on the admissions committee and he was just reviewing applications right now.