Rolling Admissions

40 minutes ago, uebersetzen said:

Yeah I found it kind of bizarre that a resume wasn't required! Having spent so much time building that resume with jobs and volunteering and school work, I definitely wanted to make sure it was part of my application. 

So for your SOP did you only talk about the relevant experiences? I'm finding a hard time keeping my SOP concise. 

On December 10, 2015 at 5:34 PM, uebersetzen said:

Yeah I found it kind of bizarre that a resume wasn't required! Having spent so much time building that resume with jobs and volunteering and school work, I definitely wanted to make sure it was part of my application. 

How long is your resume? Mine is going a bit over a page and a half... 

I keep my resume to one page. When I add something, there is usually something that I consider to be old enough or something that is irrelevant enough that I can remove it to keep space. Although that is getting harder as I get more involved in relevant activities. I'm three years out of undergrad so I'm kinda trimming out the extracurriculars that aren't relevant or I didn't play much of a leadership role in.

And for my personal statement, at least when I was doing my application, they wanted "approximately" 650 words, which is about a page single spaced 11.5 font. So I kept it to that. I just didn't want to have to explain what I was talking about in my essay, when it was already explained in my resume. Looking over it, I talked about 2 jobs, one volunteer experience, and a relevant course that I took, plus future goals and how the program I was applying to fit into those goals.

Hello my resume is 2 pages I was told by a college counselor that length is fairly standard and appropriate for me (a post-bacc student with a few years of experience of work after a BA degree)  Considering this major wants us to set ourselves apart I kept all volunteer and academic programs since beginning college since it shows a pattern of involvement long before I decided to pursue this degree.  

Same with my employment history I wanted to show them that I have been employed x amount of years and received x grades during that time...If it is something you can trim and is totally irrelevant feel free to do so to make some room.  However it is still okay if it is two pages if that helps anyone struggling to shave their information down!