NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

1 hour ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

Same here. I don't even think I really have that great of a chance of getting an award, and I won't be super bummed if I don't, but I just want to know either way. I feel like I've been anxiously waiting on one thing or another since the end of October!

You summed it up perfectly! I'm a bit distressed that I didn't have a good application for the GRFP, so I don't want to get overhyped about it, but TWO MORE WEEEEEEEEKS!

6 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

You're already writing for next year? I started my grfp proposal in mid October... 

haha just to make myself feel better :-) I have way over-analyzed this year's proposal and I have some ideas to make it better for next time. 

2 hours ago, chaparral said:

Is anyone else planning how to handle the rejection? I'm writing my GRFP for next year. I think a nice solid draft will soften the blow.

I've already started softening the blow by telling everyone that I won't get it and didn't try very hard on my application. Which is true, but it still helps to console myself.

19 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I've already started softening the blow by telling everyone that I won't get it and didn't try very hard on my application. Which is true, but it still helps to console myself.

Yep. This is me.  I completed the app the day it was due - not my usual style at all but it was unavoidable. 

2 hours ago, chaparral said:

Is anyone else planning how to handle the rejection? I'm writing my GRFP for next year. I think a nice solid draft will soften the blow.

I started my GRFP proposal in February 2015. I don't think it's too early at all! If you don't get it this year, your proposal is going to be so well-refined that you'll have a really solid chance next year! Don't give up on this year so soon though :) Good luck!

1 hour ago, SAH said:

Yep. This is me.  I completed the app the day it was due - not my usual style at all but it was unavoidable. 

Ha! Mine was the day before. Like you, this is totally not my style, I'm always the one who finishes assignments way too early. 

At the time of submission, it was literally "I have to press submit regardless of how good it is, so that I can say on my grad school apps that I applied".

Plus, if nothing else, they give you feedback.

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

I've managed to stay pretty realistic about the fact that I probably will not get an award, but recent unexpected expenses have been drawing my mind to this more and more. I keep thinking "how nice would it be to be able to build back up a savings account?" and "I could fix my car without putting it on a credit card!" ... I'm dreaming big which means there is a possibility of a big let down. Le sigh. I wish I could be put out of my misery already. 

4 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

At the time of submission, it was literally "I have to press submit regardless of how good it is, so that I can say on my grad school apps that I applied".

Plus, if nothing else, they give you feedback.

BINGO! That's me, too. I mean, I did start it a lot earlier than y'all did, but it was more of a line on my CV than anything. 

2 hours ago, kjc said:

I've managed to stay pretty realistic about the fact that I probably will not get an award, but recent unexpected expenses have been drawing my mind to this more and more. I keep thinking "how nice would it be to be able to build back up a savings account?" and "I could fix my car without putting it on a credit card!" ... I'm dreaming big which means there is a possibility of a big let down. Le sigh. I wish I could be put out of my misery already. 

Boston area is crazy expensive, so my stipend will also be correspondingly high, so I wouldn't actually get a boost from the grfp stipend amount. But they would give me a one time $3k bonus for getting it.

Okay, probably just wishful thinking, but:

03/16/16  -  FastLane will be unavailable from 10:00PM ET, Friday, March 18 to 8:00AM ET, Saturday, March 19 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience

They wouldn't announce it on a Saturday, right? Right??

21 minutes ago, Spaghettyohz said:

03/16/16  -  FastLane will be unavailable from 10:00PM ET, Friday, March 18 to 8:00AM ET, Saturday, March 19 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience

Probably not. This is possibly when they enter the scores/feedback/results lists, into the FastLane system. I'm pretty sure the award winner lists from past years has been taken down, a week or two prior to the announcements, in years past. 

49 minutes ago, Spaghettyohz said:

From reading through the past NSF GRFP posts, it looks like it'll be near the very end of the month, and they'll announce that the site is down from 10pm to about 3am. I think seeing 2am or 3am as the end time is key. 

1 hour ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

From reading through the past NSF GRFP posts, it looks like it'll be near the very end of the month, and they'll announce that the site is down from 10pm to about 3am. I think seeing 2am or 3am as the end time is key. 

Yeah, this is generally the case. Keep your eyes peeled for maintenance within those times!

1 hour ago, Tahlain said:

Probably not. This is possibly when they enter the scores/feedback/results lists, into the FastLane system. I'm pretty sure the award winner lists from past years has been taken down, a week or two prior to the announcements, in years past. 

I'm going to ask the question we're all thinking... why not let us know immediately when everything is uploaded? :(

I know someone already posted this, but here are the announcement dates for past years. Since 2007, the results have only been posted before April 1 one time. Also, for some reason, it's always been a Tuesday or Friday since 2008! Based on that, I'm guessing Tuesday, March 29 or Friday, April 1 this year.

2015: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 @~3:00AM

2014: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 @ ~2:00AM

2013 :Friday, March 29, 2013 @ ~2:00AM

2012: Friday, April 1, 2012 @ ~2:00AM

2011: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 @ ~12:50AM

2010: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 @ ~1:00AM

2009: Friday, April 10, 2009 @ ~1:00AM

2008: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 @ ~2:00AM

2007: Monday, March 23. 2007 @ ~11:20 PM
Edited by sierra918

7 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

To be fair, that 2007 was only 40 minutes away from being on a Tuesday.

The fact that some of them aren't until almost mid-April (6th, 10th) makes me want to crawl under my covers and die.

You're right! I hadn't realized that about the 2007 announcement! There haven't been any mid-April announcements since 2011, so I still think we should expect that last week of March :)

41 minutes ago, Generis said:

Just a head's up to everyone that the NSF just changed their criteria so that, starting fall of 2016, you can only apply for the NSF GRFP ONE TIME. I wish this was trolling, but here it is.

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16051/nsf16051.jsp

I'm still in shock.

One time as a graduate student AND one time as an undergrad. But if you applied as a first year grad student this year (2015) you are still allowed to apply again next year. 

On 3/17/2016 at 7:58 AM, pterosaur said:

You're already writing for next year? I started my grfp proposal in mid October... 

Wow, I couldn't imagine being able to do that! My program groomed us for GRFP. We do a writing program in the summer where we had to crank out an application, then my departments requires us to take a class where we learn how to write it as well. Then Grad Div. pays anyone who submits a full application $50.

1 hour ago, mobilehobo said:

Wow, I couldn't imagine being able to do that! My program groomed us for GRFP. We do a writing program in the summer where we had to crank out an application, then my departments requires us to take a class where we learn how to write it as well. Then Grad Div. pays anyone who submits a full application $50.

I'm really jealous... no one in my department even told me about it. No one has certainly ever gotten it (though I think one person applied years ago). I only found out about it because I did an REU last summer at a different university.

-grumbles-